Menu

Kids who participate in theater have higher SAT scores?

My daughter is part of CYT and at her show today, the director happened to announce that on average, kids who are involved in theater arts tend to have higher SAT scores. I'd actually love to know where she got this information, but thought I'd come here for a discussion. If I get a chance to chat with her before it's all over, I might ask.

:D

My daughter is part of CYT and at her show today, the director happened to announce that on average, kids who are involved in theater arts tend to have higher SAT scores. I'd actually love to know where she got this information, but thought I'd come here for a discussion. If I get a chance to chat with her before it's all over, I might ask.

This is an absolute guess.

Creative abilty in theature = creative writing abilities.

Memorization of scripts = better recall of facts for exams.

CYT is not cheap. It is well known that as an average, families who have higher financial means to provide an education for their children, often have children with higher test scores.

Kids who are involved with activities like CYT (or any other sport/activity) are less likely to be the kids with special needs (even the undiagnosed ones) or the stereotypical drugie-drop out.

Kids who have experience preforming may have less test taking anxiety. (assuming preformance anxiety=test anxiety)

I could probably come up with a few more, but I have no idea if any of them are valid.

So do kids in chess club.

Vocabulary building? Logic skills? Maybe these kinds of activities just tend to draw smart kids? (It is nice to be somewhere where it's okay to be smart.) I'm thinking it's all of the above.

Maybe smarter kids have more time for extracurricular activities since they may need less study/homework time.

Maybe smarter kids have more time for extracurricular activities since they may need less study/homework time.

I'm sure that's a factor. Or they manage their time better. Every good student I knew in school did as much homework in class as possible, and was organized with their study habits, books etc.

This went double for kids that were athletes and good students.

Depending on what kind of theatre, I can see benefits. We have done two lit based shows with our younger students this year - Willy Wonka and Flat Stanley - a lot of the kids read the books to het ready for the show. Our high schoolera did the same when we did Jane Eyre.

A lot of plays and musicals use higher language and many lit and historical references.

The discipline and memorization helps as well. It helps build confidence.

I can see many benefits.

Dancers and musicians tend to do better in mathematics. I think most extracurricular activities help with academics in some way.

Chicago CYT claims the same thing- and we've long wondered where they came up with that.

I think our area's CYT kids do well in school because by and large their parents are involved and invested in the kids' educations. These same parents devote time to getting kids to and from rehearsals and working a committee during show week. Having involved parents is a pretty big part of how well a kid does in school.

I haven't heard that, but I have heard that kids who play a musical instrument get higher scores. I think there are some statistics about that.

Dd is a National Merit Scholarship Finalist. She has only had minor roles in plays. She doesn't play a musical instrument. She has played a variety of sports-- nearly constantly.

Personally, I think her IQ and her test-taking ability are gifts from God.

And being a voracious reader helped a lot, too, IMHO.

BTW, ds had major roles in several plays and musicals. He had nice scores on the PSAT and ACT, but not as high as dd.