Menu

I need help choosing math

I am so overwhelmed by math choices. Spiral or mastery, all the different programs...I'm just overwhelmed. I am looking for a kindergarten program. We will be doing some math with the calendar (making the date with coins) as well as some simple playing around with addition/subtraction up to 10 w/ manipulatives - that we are already doing.

Math overwhelms me in general. I am not a logic or math person. I need to spend $50 or less. I don't have the money to try something and toss it if it doesn't work. Basically, I need something that will work for me so I teach it. I need something tried and tested, not confusing, clearly laid out, easy to teach, and fairly decent on price. I will be buying some C-Rods and we have basic counters already.

Any recommendations?

We use and love CLE. Cheap and very effective for my 2nd grader. Though I have not used anything other than 2nd grade so far, I plan to use it with all 3 kids this fall (K, 1st and 3rd). Very self explanatory to the student. Super easy to teach.

I have not even looked at ordering K yet, but for 2nd grade you can order 1 workbook (called a "light unit") at a time, so you are not out much if you do not like it.

Life with Fred. I wish I would have used this (except it didn't exist) with all my kids from the start. Your kids are too young for you to be so stressed about this, though! (My opinion, of course.) You have lots of time to try some different things to find what you like and what you think will work well for your kids.

We use and love CLE. Cheap and very effective for my 2nd grader. Though I have not used anything other than 2nd grade so far, I plan to use it with all 3 kids this fall (K, 1st and 3rd). Very self explanatory to the student. Super easy to teach.

I have not even looked at ordering K yet, but for 2nd grade you can order 1 workbook (called a "light unit") at a time, so you are not out much if you do not like it.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

We love CLE here!!!!

I use ABEKA for K math and LA. I'm doing CLE with my other kids but I think ABEKA is simple, colorful and cheap. The kids have always liked it (I have 8 kids). I just bought Math and LA yesterday for my next year K and spent $37 (I think) including shipping. I tried Singapore this year because people talk badly about ABEKA but I didn't like singapore and so I went back to ABEKA which I used for my other kids. I don't use ABEKA for anthing else. I don't buy anything other than the workbook because I figure I can explain things well enough on my own at the K level, haha. I like workbooks because I think it help info to sink in when you write things or see it. Check it out online. It's a good cheap base to go by for the K level. ABEKA has good phonics also. Like I said, I don't use it for other grades and subjects.

We use and love CLE. Cheap and very effective for my 2nd grader. Though I have not used anything other than 2nd grade so far, I plan to use it with all 3 kids this fall (K, 1st and 3rd). Very self explanatory to the student. Super easy to teach

:iagree:

We switched to CLE math this year, and I am thrilled with it!

But, they don't have it for K. As far as I can tell, they start with 1st grade.

First, deep breath. :)

I felt *exactly* the same way when my eldest boy was 4, so I can say this from experience: The program you choose now is not going to impact his math education forever, even if you choose the worst math curriculum ever invented.

I chose the "wrong" program. It was all right. Just not for us.

He did ok anyway. When I realized that what we were doing wasn't working, we switched to something that works very well for him. (We switched to a combination of Miquon and Singapore. We still use Singapore.)

For a 4 y.o., I'd start with Miquon. I wish that's what I'd started with when my mathematical thinker was little. It's manipulative-based and fun and promotes mathematical thinking and problem-solving.

Cat