Menu

Greek Credits

Last year my son completed EG 3 and then his teacher did extra work with him on grammar and translation. I don't know what resource she used for this.

This year he began Athenaze. Athenaze is 16 chapters, and he will complete through chapter 10 by the end of the year.

How much high school credit would you assign for these?

Athenaze Volume 1 is equivalent to 1 year of HS Greek I, or 1 semester of college Greek 101. If he got to chapter 10 (out of 16), that would be about 2/3 of a HS credit. I've read that EG 1-3 is worth 1 credit if it's beefed up with translation work (which it sounds like your son did). So I'd award 1 credit for Beginning Koine Greek, and then award 1 credit for Beginning Attic Greek if he finishes ch. 16. If he doesn't want to continue with Greek, I'd just call it a half-credit in Introductory Attic Greek.

Jackie

we are moving away from our Greek teacher. He'd have to self-study through the rest of the book, because this is out of my ken :P Thanks, thought - I hadn't thought of designating them as Koine and Attic. I didn't want it to look like he had done two years of Greek I, because that's really not the case.

0.5 credit (well, technically it is a bit more because it is more than half the book - but then again, there is certainly some "double dipping" involved in this case because he started Athenaze not with zero knowledge, but with some knowledge from the program which you are also going to count for credit, even if it is a slightly different form of Greek, so I would just call it a day with 0.5 credit if you wish to count it). If I were to do it, I would probably naime it on the transcript the same way as Jackie suggested.

Edited by Ester Maria