Menu

Take a look at our finished kitchen ceiling!

This is a huge room. It had a smoother, orange peel texture over the actual kitchen. The rest was that popcorn yuck. Several years ago I decided to scrape off the popcorn. Yes, I know, I know. So, I tried to roll on texture to make it look better. It looked worse. Then we had to put any projects on hold for awhile.

We finally found something to fix it! These are 20x20 polysterene (sp?) tiles. They feel like styrofoam and are very thin and light. Over 400 sq. ft. took dh and me a little less than 4 hours. He still has a little caulking to do, but I'm super happy with the outcome! Way better than popcorn. Oh, and these tiles can be laid right over popcorn texture.:svengo: If I'd only known!

Nice!

I still have two rooms in my house in which to remove the popcorn ceilings. I've gotten quite good at it. There were places that needed a little mudding and sanding, but overall they came out okay. But what a pain. :tongue_smilie:

Did you just wet it down a bit, scrape it off, then paint? The texture didn't look right when I did that. We have textured ceilings in every room in the house. After the mess I made out of the kitchen, I changed my mind doing the rest because I didn't like how they turned out. But, if you have another way of doing it that makes it look okay, I might tackle that project. Some day. Not now. Later. :)

Did you just wet it down a bit, scrape it off, then paint? The texture didn't look right when I did that. We have textured ceilings in every room in the house. After the mess I made out of the kitchen, I changed my mind doing the rest because I didn't like how they turned out. But, if you have another way of doing it that makes it look okay, I might tackle that project. Some day. Not now. Later. :)

I wet it down, scraped it off. Wet it and scraped some more, sanded a bit, mudded in some areas, complained a LOT ( :cursing:) and then primed and painted when it finally looked good enough.

The trick was not to let dh do it. He was in a BIG hurry and took chunks out of the ceiling. This did not save us any time and labor. :glare:

ETA: The first room we did was a disaster. I ended up mudding and sanding the entire thing. That was before we realized we should wet it down. Oh, and the sanding screens are terrible. If you try it again, use the little 3M sponges with the angled corner on one end. They really take it down fast. Those, plus lots of advil for your sore neck and it's do-able. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by darlasowders

Hmm. I think because our walls are textured, like all houses here, it looks weird if the ceiling isn't. What a pain! I don't know what they were thinking! I agree about the dh thing. :) He tends to hurry it along, too. I usually am put to the tedious tasks like modular furniture building, painting, etc.

Before diving into more textured ceiling projects, I want to warn you about possible asbestos content. A LOT of popcorn ceilings contain asbestos, which means that the dust is quite dangerous to inhale. Sanding one room will infect your entire house with asbestos fibers.

Even though asbestos manufacturing was outlawed decades ago, manufacturers were allowed to use up existing asbestos stock. Some companies continued using asbestos in construction for decades. The age of your ceilings will not tell you whether or not there is asbestos content--the ONLY reliable way to know is by lab testing. Fortunately, this is not hard to do. You can google asbestos testing and find a lab local to you. To collect a sample for testing, wear an asbestos filter ($20 at a hardware store), wet the area thoroughly, and carefully chip off a chunk. Double bag the sample in ziplock bags and bring it to the lab. Check with the lab you are using to see how big a chunk they want. Many labs will charge an arm and a leg to send a guy to get the sample. However, collecting a sample is easy so find a lab that will let you collect it yourself.

Before diving into more textured ceiling projects, I want to warn you about possible asbestos content. A LOT of popcorn ceilings contain asbestos, which means that the dust is quite dangerous to inhale. Sanding one room will infect your entire house with asbestos fibers.

Even though asbestos manufacturing was outlawed decades ago, manufacturers were allowed to use up existing asbestos stock. Some companies continued using asbestos in construction for decades. The age of your ceilings will not tell you whether or not there is asbestos content--the ONLY reliable way to know is by lab testing. Fortunately, this is not hard to do. You can google asbestos testing and find a lab local to you. To collect a sample for testing, wear an asbestos filter ($20 at a hardware store), wet the area thoroughly, and carefully chip off a chunk. Double bag the sample in ziplock bags and bring it to the lab. Check with the lab you are using to see how big a chunk they want. Many labs will charge an arm and a leg to send a guy to get the sample. However, collecting a sample is easy so find a lab that will let you collect it yourself.

Thanks for this warning; we're about to do some work by the bedrooms upstairs.

OP--Your ceiling looks great! I also love your kitchen "border"--all the older kitchen gadgets... very nice.

It looks great. Our house is weird and has the orange peel texture on the walls and ceiling in every room except the dining room and one bathroom. In those two odd rooms they walls are orange peel on the bottom and then super smooth on top.

I hate orange peel although it's not as bad and popcorn. I hate having to paint them because it's hard to make sure you get good coverage. I can't change them though because it's a rental.

Thanks, Strider. Our house was built after asbestos was taken out of production of that texture. It's in our homeowner's inspection and report when we originally bought the house. It's great to know for other people! Watch that popcorn, guys! It's evil in more than one way!

No. We used the adhesive they recommended. It's like a mastic. It comes in a bucket from Home Depot. AcrylPro, I think is the name. It was $12 a bucket and our huge kitchen needed 3 buckets. They recommended putting dots in the four corners and one in the middle. We did a few more than that because they are 20x 20 tiles and sagged a bit with just the 5 dots. We used 2 plastic spoons and applied it like putting cookie dough on a cookie sheet. LOL

Dh just finished the caulking today. Looks even better!

No. We used the adhesive they recommended. It's like a mastic. It comes in a bucket from Home Depot. AcrylPro, I think is the name. It was $12 a bucket and our huge kitchen needed 3 buckets. They recommended putting dots in the four corners and one in the middle. We did a few more than that because they are 20x 20 tiles and sagged a bit with just the 5 dots. We used 2 plastic spoons and applied it like putting cookie dough on a cookie sheet. LOL

Dh just finished the caulking today. Looks even better!

Excellent! I never saw the point of bothering with furring strips. At that point, it seems easier to re-drywall. This is a great alternative!!