Menu

Home school names

Mommy Jen

I needed a school name for my oldests transcript and my younger kids wanted to have a "real" school name too. I've always just used "Last name" Academy but we wanted to come up with something more creative.

So the best I came up with..

Vallems Hope Academy

The first word uses my kids first intials and the Hope stands for Homeschooling over Public Education. (Found that one on the internet :D)

Do you have a school name?

We did, because we have to put one on our private school affidavit in California.

The first four years, we were Freedom Learning Center. :-) Dds confessed that they couldn't tell people that they went to Freedom Learning Center, so our last year in San Diego, we were Southeast San Diego Christian Academy. :)

I usually suggest that people not use their last names as part of the school. There are still some businesses (including public and private schools) that give homeschoolers grief, and if your dc's transcript (or diploma) comes from Last Name School, some needlessly awkward moments can ensue. :glare:

I also recommend that people name their schools something that their hulking 14yo sons can say out loud without blushing. :D

For Christians, it's a good idea to see if there are other campus-based Christian schools in their communities with the same name. I also don't think that our whole Christian testimony needs to be conveyed in the school name...

My son (5yrs)...who is obsessed with Leap Frog videos...recently made a sign for our school room door (with out any prompting from me) that says "The Learning Factory". Well, actually it says "The lerning factry" but you get the idea. I asked him and he said that was the name of our school...so I guess we are going with that.

We did, because we have to put one on our private school affidavit in California.

The first four years, we were Freedom Learning Center. :-) Dds confessed that they couldn't tell people that they went to Freedom Learning Center, so our last year in San Diego, we were Southeast San Diego Christian Academy. :)

I usually suggest that people not use their last names as part of the school. There are still some businesses (including public and private schools) that give homeschoolers grief, and if your dc's transcript (or diploma) comes from Last Name School, some needlessly awkward moments can ensue. :glare:

I also recommend that people name their schools something that their hulking 14yo sons can say out loud without blushing. :D

For Christians, it's a good idea to see if there are other campus-based Christian schools in their communities with the same name. I also don't think that our whole Christian testimony needs to be conveyed in the school name...

Excellent points. I am thinking about this because my older is getting close to high school age, and I know the name we use just around here isn't going to work. We are "The Ruff Academy for Boys" because our last name is Ruff and we have boys. But that has a ring of reform school to me. :D

We're in the process of naming our school, because we have to register it with the state. DH & I have had a lot of fun coming up with ones that we will not use. (Along the lines of telling our entire testimony in the school name, or things that will make our someday-14yo son wish to be expelled...)

The key criteria for us is to pick something our kids will feel comfortable putting on forms - and something that isn't obviously hsing. We're Swedish, so we've come up with something meaningful to us in Swedish. The only hitch is that we don't actually speak Swedish with the remotest fluency, so we don't know if we're really saying something awful. :tongue_smilie:

Long story short, no, we don't quite have our name picked yet.

We're Mount Parnassus Academy-and DD is clear that she goes to the ELEMENTARY school now, and that some day she'll go to Mount Parnassus Middle school, and then Mount Parnassus High School :). DD went through a BIG thing last summer of wanting to go to a "Real" school and have "real" school stuff, and picking a school name, mascot and setting up our "school" in the spare bedroom made a big difference to her. Legally, she actually attends Home Life Academy, because that's our cover school-but we use "Mount Parnassus Elementary" when we're ordering from Rainbow resource and the like-DD LOVES getting mail with the school name on it. We plan to go to Brickfair and pay the exhibitor's fee so we can go to some of the earlier events, and I plan to put "Mount Parnassus Academy Lego Users Group" as our organization, just because I think DD will get such a kick out of having that on her badge.

We're Mount Parnassus Academy-and DD is clear that she goes to the ELEMENTARY school now, and that some day she'll go to Mount Parnassus Middle school, and then Mount Parnassus High School :). DD went through a BIG thing last summer of wanting to go to a "Real" school and have "real" school stuff, and picking a school name, mascot and setting up our "school" in the spare bedroom made a big difference to her. Legally, she actually attends Home Life Academy, because that's our cover school-but we use "Mount Parnassus Elementary" when we're ordering from Rainbow resource and the like-DD LOVES getting mail with the school name on it. We plan to go to Brickfair and pay the exhibitor's fee so we can go to some of the earlier events, and I plan to put "Mount Parnassus Academy Lego Users Group" as our organization, just because I think DD will get such a kick out of having that on her badge.

My 7 year old dd did/does the same thing, that's one of the reasons why we named our school. :001_smile:

I've had a couple different ones, but really it is just for my own benefit. Even my kids are not that interested and I don't need to file anything for the state. Recently I was doing some work--mission statement and such. The name I came up with is Wild Roots Earth School (as nature plays a somewhat large role in our hs).

We're going with Enchanted Winter Homeschool. I originally came up with it for my blog name, and decided I'll just use it should we ever need a school name for official documents (though for something like that, I'd probably change it to Enchanted Winter Academy).

We came up with Enchanted Winter because we're Pagan and we live in Minnesota. :001_smile:

For elementary, we used Magnum Opus Academy (magnum opus meaning "great work" -- from Charlotte's Web).

For high school, we are just using <last name> Homeschool Academy. I'm not sure it would help anything to obscure the fact that my child received a homeschool education.

We don't have to have one but we do! Ours is TRLT Academy. We decided on that name because when we told my Grandma (who is 84) that we were going to homeschool she said, " "Well, you're taking the road less traveled, that's for sure! Good for you." She was so supportive, which most of my family wasn't. Hehe, our mascot is the Woolly Mammoth!:D

I have recently been thinking about how we need an official name for our school.

I guess Starfleet Academy is a little old, but something from the Clone Wars may work.

Thanks for all of the ideas so far. Our Lady of Perpetual Screaming made me laugh out loud, too.

We are Lextin Academy. I'm Lexi, my hubby's Justin......together we are Lextin :001_smile: I wanted to use Veritas but there was already a private school by that name in our hometown. So, we had to come up with something else. I think it sounds somewhat professional and would look nice on a transcript someday! I graduated from "last name" highschool and that was no fun! I wanted my kids to have a better school name than that. But I'm sure there will be times that they come up with a name to use for a time, but Lextin Academy will be our official name.

I needed a school name recently to send off for a free-to-educators poster, and I chose Ivymount Academy. Doesn't that sound as preppy as anything?

I asked my daughter if we should have a school name, and she suggested Fairy Academy.

"But do you really think your brother would like to say he goes to Fairy Academy?"

"He DOESN'T."

"Not now, but when he gets to kindergarten age, he'll homeschool."

"But we won't go to the same academy. He can pick his own name."

When my kids were younger we used Sunrise School. We choose this together. But when they were about Middle School age, they said we need a more mature name. So after much discussion as a family and consideration of possiblities we choose Liberty Academy. We liked it because of the patriotic feel and the spiritual application too.

We like it and both my son & daughter approved.

I will use it for their transcripts, but not to hide the fact that they are homeschooled, but to have a name that seems appropriate for a High School transcipt also.

It was a fun process. We thought about regionally significant names, famous people to name our school after, qualities or educational sounding names, but this suited our family.

Enjoy the fun of your unique idenity for your homeschool and your family.

Sending Smiles,

Barbara in NH

Our school is Live Oak Christian Academy. We chose the name because there is a live oak tree in our yard and the verse from Psalm 1:2-3 describes those who follow God as a tree whose leaves do not wither. A live oak tree doesn't lose its leaves like most oak trees; they are green year round.

Plus, I just discovered this the other day, it spells out LOCA and most days around here are pretty loca! :D

We are Journey Academy. I chose that our first year b/c homeschooling is a journey. If we ever change it, I like the idea of using your street name. Our street name is actually a Cherokee word and a town in GA where my ancestors are from, so it's fitting.

Yes, but we never use it, as it's not necessary. It was just fun to create one.

Same here. We are Keys Atheneum.

Baby sister is our current mascot, as she's 13 months and oh so cute :)

Edited by sagira

We are Marley Academy. We didn't have a school name, and one day we were listening to Redemption Song and the line, "Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" jumped out at me. I adopted it as our motto, and the name Marley Academy seemed logical after that.

Yesterday Francie told me she wanted our mascot to be an eagle, because we are free as the eagle. I said sure, so we are now the Marley Academy Eagles. Dh (who is a designer) is going to help her create a logo. (The last logo she created was for her fantasy football team, the Magician City Unicorns.)

In discussing this with Neeley, Francie pointed out that our motto is what it is because, "We are free from public schools." I was heartily amused, but I did point out to her that's not quite what it means. :D

Tara

We picked "Sugar Pine Academy" after the next street over (our street, Pine Timber, doesn't seem to lend itself to an official-sounding name). But now I find out that Sugar Pines only grow on the complete other side of the country from us..... so I think we're probably still searching.