Menu

As it gets closer to the "school year" to end...

Does anyone else get this panicked feeling that there's a ton of stuff to fit in before then, these last couple months? :tongue_smilie: I know that it will alllll be okay, whatever we finish, and we've done plenty, but that feeling...that I should add this. And this. And this other thing. Oh, and wait! This other thing! :lol:

No. I school year-round to avoid that feeling.:tongue_smilie:

I am getting the hankerin' for more nature study, afternoons at the park, etc...

Don't try to squeeze good stuff in. Pick some stuff to do over the summer and enjoy!:001_smile:

Yes and No. Yes because there really is a ton of academics on the shelf still so it starts me into a panic and then I have to talk myself back down with the reminder that those academics never were the goal this year. I had specific goals when it came to the kids this year and those goals are being met. I wanted to focus on testing and therapies, getting ds8 reading and having dd12 and ds13 catch up in math and writing.

Writing it coming on its own, I have not actually done what i wanted to do with that but they are writing a bit more on their own without me pushing. We have a very very long way to go but 1 step at a time.

At the start of the year the kids were doing horizons math 3 (book 1), they are currently doing the fractions unit before Jump Math 5.1. They are doing an excellent job with it. WHile it is still not up to grade level I am very pleased with their progress, If they keep doing this well they will be done jump math 5.1 before the end of the year. THat will put them at 2.5 grade levels of learning, pretty awesome in my books.

DS8 has started reading Bob books and the AAS/AAR books. He is not fluent yet but progressing.

This year has been heavy on testing, and treatment options for both boys along with furthr testing to still come. This has been the focus of the year along with character development/behaviour.

When I look at what we have actually completed so far this year and goals being met I have no panic about the end of year approaching. Instead I am thrilled that we will be wrapping up another successful homeschool year even through the stress and difficulties.

Me! This year has been rough. Between DS breaking his collarbone and then me going back to work in the clinic part-time resulting in DH and I tagteam teaching which resulted in curriculum and schedule changes all around.... Yeah, um, we might never finish this year!

This is the time of year I take the highlighter pens to the TOC's of any book we may not get to finish to make sure we do hit the important stuff before the end of the year.

I know much of it gets reviewed in the fall, but I do want it to be review.

No. We're more relaxed homeschoolers, so about this time of year I look around and say "what's the minimum we have to do to be done?" Especially with math...I really like math to be done by the end of June.

We do some schoolish stuff during the summer, but we keep in really low key. :)

We've had a great year... except for HO ancients level2. I can't figure out what in the heck went wrong??!! I'm hitting a major panic button here.

My 7th grader is doing her first non-SOTW year. She's really enjoying HO, she does all of the work beautifully, but she is so crazy far behind!! :willy_nilly:

Tomorrow I'm planning to go through the table of contents (I'm looking at it right now actually :scared::crying:).

We already know she's going to have to do it through summer... I'm thinking of highlighting the most important assignments.

Okay, I just asked her if she still wants to do HO next year and she said yes. :001_smile: That makes me feel a little better.

Time to stop panicking and solve the problem!

ETA: Other than HO we're doing well. I think focusing on completing 1st semester work on time was a big help.

Yes, even though we school year-round. We took a lot of time off around the holidays, and I've been slowing down a lot due to this pregnancy. I've just had no energy this time around! I may end up concentrating on math, history, and literature just because I want to keep us on schedule for those, and hopefully work in the other stuff as we go. My oldest two are supposed to do their standardized tests this year, so I really have to keep them up on math.