Menu

Any cake pop bakers out there??

OK, for purposes of full disclosure, I will admit that I am not a good cook or baker. Lucky for us, my dd12 loves to bake. She recently used her B-day money to buy cookbooks. She is currently in love with the Cake Pops book from Bakerella.

I glanced at the book and see that you can use a box mix, but it does involve squeezing the baked cake into the ball shapes prior to decorating. My dd is great at baking...not so much at the clean up part. This seems pretty messy. I just saw a pan at Walmart that bakes prepared cake batter in the ball shapes. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this type of pan. Will it change the texture of the batter if baked this way??

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks! I

I do not have one of those new pans, but I too have wondered about them. We make cake balls with our hands, and though a little messy, it really isn't all that bad.

I make a cake according to instructions, crumble it, and let it cool. Them mix with 1/2 to 3/4 container for frosting. Shape the gooey mixture into balls with your hands (a melon baller might be less messy?). Set balls in fridge for an hour or more (overnight works well too) Dip balls in a cup of melted almond bark and set on waxed paper. This is super yummy. And you don't have to spend the extra money on the baker thingy...although it looks really cute :tongue_smilie:

The cake pops made the Bakerella-way are way, way too sweet for me because you combine frosting with the crumbled cake to form the cake balls. And then they're sort of like super sweet cake dough (cooked, but still...). Not my thing.

I have not tried the special cake pans, but I would if I had the money for it.

I have the cake pop maker thing and we love it.

I have a good friend who makes them the other way with frosting scrunched into them.

Hers are great - but much sweeter and larger than mine.

Mine are great - not as sweet - tastes like cake dipped in chocolotae or candy depending on which coating we use.

I love them all :D

I like the Bakerella style.

The others (i.e. from the pans) look to be no different from a little round cupcake IMO.

A cake pop should be a confection! :)

It makes a mess, yes. But oh...the results!

We did them at Christmas time with colored white chocolate melties from Michael's, and gave a little cluster as gifties. They were very POPular. lol

Edited by bbkaren

That's what I have...

and they don't taste like little cupcakes because of the candy coating they are dipped in.... unless you dip your cupcakes in chocolate or candy coating that is :tongue_smilie:. Our favorite are lemon cake with chocolate candy coating - decorated with edible pearls (from michael's)

Thanks for the replies!

I started researching reviews of cake pop pans (there is more than one variety) after starting this thread. I research.everything.to.death. It sounds like there are very mixed reviews on all of these kind of baking pans since the end product is not a good, round shape.

For those of you who use the babycakes baker that a pp linked, how do those turn out?

I've only done it by crumbling the baked cake and adding a little frosting. I used a cookie dough scoop to make them all the same size. It really wasn't a very messy process. The crumbled cake and frosting are all contained in a bowl (as long as you use a big enough bowl) and doesn't really get sticky/messy. I didn't end up with a bunch of crumbs all over or anything like that.

For us, the messiest part of making cake pops was putting on the sprinkles, but then again I had a three year old helping!