Menu

How many math programs do you use most levels?

How many math programs per level  

2 members have voted

1. 1. How many math programs per level

• 5+
    • concurrently
    • in succession
    • both

Okay, so over the years, I've been clear that I think it is beneficial and best to use multiple math programs per level. I did it with my first kids and will do it with my littles also. But then when I think about what I *want* to use and think would be beneficial, I end up with too many programs, I think. SOOOOO, I wonder how many most people are using.

Note: For this poll, let's say that a program count if 1) you think it should, and/or 2) you use most of a year's worth...so for many people, would count what you use as a "supplement."

THANKS!!!

ETA:: Made a mistake....can't fix poll :( Please pick a number.

Edited by 2J5M9K

I voted three, because I consistently use materials from all three programs, but it definitely falls into the 1 main/2 supplement category: Math Mammoth is our program, for sure: that's the scope & sequence I follow, and that is where I pay full attention to ensure mastery. It is the core of our math.

We also use Life of Fred, finishing up the elementary series and moving into Fractions, and this is a "makes math fun" supplement, as well as a strong preparation for algebraic thinking, and an interesting intro to how math connects to other subjects. We've been doing 2 chapters / day, 8/week, of the elementary series, but she will probably slow down to 1/day with Fractions.

TT is used for independent days - usually 1x per week - and to provide practice. While I really dislike spiral curricula for initial teaching, as practice it is great - a few problems of each kind of thing previously studied reminds & reinforces without overwhelming w/ drill & kill. We don't use all the lessons, if she has something down cold I don't see any reason to have her sit through another teaching session on it, but for newish concepts, I think it never hurts to see something explained a different way.

Anyway, this system is working really well for us, her math skills have grown enormously in the past 4 months.

I voted 2 since my supplement will be used fully. Singapore is our main program. LoF is a fun supplement.

That said, I don't think Singapore needs anything added to it for my son. I'm just trying to slow him down a tad so we aren't doing algebra in 3rd grade. ;) My goal is to push it out to 5th grade, if I can. That means throwing some different things at him to stretch him beyond the normal scope of elementary math. If he were doing one grade level per year, I'd just do Singapore and call it good.

I picked 3-some form of review (usually MEP, but possibly BA next year depending on how expensive it is) done a grade or so below the main program, Singapore, and LoF. Plus supplements/enrichment.

Having said that, the only curriculum where DD does every single problem is LOF, and that's simply because the problem sets are so short. She usually does the textbook and harder/more interesting problems in the IP, and the same for MEP.

I voted 2, and I would have put "in succession," because that's what we did. If I could have a DO OVER with my oldest, I would have done at least 2 together.

I've been meditating on this, and I think it's because Math is not my thing, and I'm not comfortable teaching it outside the box. English and LA are my forte, I own COUNTLESS LA programs, and use 3-4 a year with my kiddos. I can slice and dice, cut and paste, and rework English programs till the cows come home. I didn't want to do that with math, and I think my daughter suffered because of it. We would work on one curriculum, hit a wall, abandon it and buy another. It would work out eventually, but I wish I had done something like MUS alongside Horizons or BJU. We did Saxon last year, switched to MUS this year, and were going to switch back to Saxon this semester, but now I realize the benefit of using both programs in tandem. My dd learns the MUS way, but we feel Saxon is a more complete curriculum, and necessary for High School. So, as of next week, we'll be doing Saxon and MUS the whole way through High School.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Older DS is now doing Key to Algbra and NEM. later will be NEM and AoPS

When he did SM, we add my own homemade sheet

DD does Miquon only. we will add something else when she get a little older. Thinking adding beast academy later with SM for her.

I use a boatload.

I started with Singapore and then switched to RS as a spine. We still use the CWP and IP from Singapore.

I then found CSMP and we are alternating days between RS and CSMP. Except when we are out of town for a while....then we alternate MM and CSMP since RS is not very portable.

On Fridays we do two any two pages that my dd wants from Miquon. And we have also been reading one chapter a night of LOF.

I chose 4, but I really didn't know which number to choose.

We are using 2 programs. CLE Math + Teaching Textbooks.

Are you using TT on-level? I had to have Becca skip 2/3 of TT 3 after completing CLE 200 and I just skipped 20 more lessons in TT 4 because she was still just reviewing old material (we went from lesson 40-something to lesson 68).

TOTALLY surprised how many people only use one. I almost didn't even put that as an option! Of course, one is just not an option for us. My first kids were much more mathy kids than my new ones seem to be. And doing multiple programs didn't slow us down in the least....well, maybe in the least, I guess. But my daughter still went much further than most kids even though she graduated early.

I think about how much I used for reading with Goo, many of which was considered full programs, we used daily, but I considered "supplemental." And then we did two main math programs but had supplements there also. But with all that, science, history, fine arts, Latin, handwriting, logic, etc, we still did a nice laid back day, though possibly longer than most people do with 1st graders. Of course, he was one of those kids who needed more structure (just like my new kids). I already use more than some people would and my kids are really young AND go to school all day! So obviously it doesn't over run our home. And yet, I'm thinking I don't *really* need five programs and one more as a supplement. I might have to give something up. I don't wanna :(

BTW, dd's opinion after me putting her through this: She thinks I need to decide. Maybe not on just one; but she thinks six is pushing it even for me. LOL

Yeah, 6 seems like overkill. :lol:

I put two. We have senerally alternated between Singapore and Miquon. I stopped both this past fall, and switched to just MM. Both of my kids requested a return to Singapore AND Miquon, which they call "fun math". :001_smile: That is what we are doing now.

One. Only one. One should be enough. If it isn't, then I'm looking for something else that is.

:iagree:

(After trying to do R&S and Singapore together, I discovered CLE and thought it was a great mix of what I liked about the other programs. We've been using CLE for more than 2 years now and the dc are thriving. Once in a while they do some CWP, but not often enough to count as a second program.)

Elementary... it's looking like 2-3. Math Mammoth, Life of Fred?, Beast Academy

Pre-Algebra...Life of Fred and AoPS...probably alongside TT Algebra 1

Algebra 1... Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1, followed by Foersters &/or AoPS

Geometry...hoping we can get by with *just* AoPS ;)

Algebra 2...I don't know yet. It depends how things go with Geometry and the other AoPS math courses.

One. I don't like juggling multiple programs for anything. Occasionally I'll add some worksheets or games here or there, but the focus is always on one.

:iagree:

I've got plenty on my plate doing one math program for each child. I have no need or desire to supplement.

We use Right Start as the "spine" and then the girls get to choose their own Miquon work. We work through Life of Fred books as read-alouds when we have a break in regular schooling. So we'll be doing LoF next week for spring break.

TT is used for independent days - usually 1x per week - and to provide practice. While I really dislike spiral curricula for initial teaching, as practice it is great - a few problems of each kind of thing previously studied reminds & reinforces without overwhelming w/ drill & kill. We don't use all the lessons, if she has something down cold I don't see any reason to have her sit through another teaching session on it, but for newish concepts, I think it never hurts to see something explained a different way.

Anyway, this system is working really well for us, her math skills have grown enormously in the past 4 months.

Sorry for the hijack...but can you tell me a little bit more about how you do this? Do you work through TT in order or do you just pick a lesson each week that corresponds to dd's MM lesson? Do you have her do the full TT lesson?

I recently switched dd from MM to TT. They're total opposites on the spiral/mastery continuum, and I need to find a happy medium somehow. She's also using LOF Fractions, which she adores. Sometimes I think I need to switch her full-time to LOF, but I can't just throw out a $$ program like TT, especially when it did such a good job of getting her over her fear of long division. But she's starting to dread the long problem sets of mostly review work.

5+ sigh!

I've always used a lot. Sometimes because I couldn't afford what I needed. Other times because...I'm just...ridiculous. Sometimes because I am custom creating a masterpiece :-)

Right now I am self-educating math. My seizures have truly mucked up my ability to divide. The damage is greater than just some memory loss. Something wider than that is damaged. So...I started playing around in elementary math and got...fascinated with vintage and Waldorf math.

And despite my own current math problems, I often get cornered into tutoring high school level maths, which...sometimes I can do :-0 Go figure :-0

The math books are really starting to pile up around here. And they are ALL getting used. But then, the 10+ dictionaries are all getting used too :-0 Really, just how many dictionaries does anyone need? I just bought a new-to-me 3 volume set this week and carried it all the way home on the train--along with my groceries--just about squealing in delight at my $3.00 bargain.

Two, mostly because I don't want them locked into just one way of looking at the world.

DS11 uses Fred as his main program and AoPS as a light supplement for PreAlgebra

DS8 is using Singapore as his main and Fred as a supplement, but talks daily about the day when Fred gets to take over LOL!