Menu

A year of World Geography?

Mommy Jen

I want to do World Geography with my 4th, 3rd, 1st and K5'er next year and would like to combine them in one program if I can.

I was pretty set on MFW ECC but I keep second guessing myself.

Anyone have any other curriculum suggestions?

Edited by Mommy Jen
spelling

We are doing ECC next year year with my kiddos and are adding in FIAR for my littles. This year we tried to do Adventures together, and it worked okay (with me finding some younger alternatives of books and things), but my dd6 just didnt get as much out of it as I wanted her to, and I think it was because I was trying to make it work for an age it wasn't meant for. Next year my kids wi

L be 6th, 2nd, and K. I just felt that my son had gotten so much more out of FIve in a Row at that age, so I decided to combine the programs! I will do the books that go along with whatever country we are studying at the time. We can still look at the maps and talk about the culture and people together.

I am combining Galloping the Globe and Trail Guide to World Geography.

My older two do Trail Guide and then we Gallop a country or two from the continent we are on. I am finding this to be a good balance, as my older two are working more with the mapping and every one gets to take part in the cultural and environment studies we do.

My two love geography. I am planning to go through some of the recommendations at the national geographic website on materials to prepare for the geography be (I doubt we will enter, but the resources look great). We also do stack the states/countries on the iPad which has taught them the locations and shapes, and are tracking the temperatures of various cities around the world that they find interesting, a new set each month. We will soon be doing this either cities near each other but eith different geographical features such as mountains, valeys, coastal, etc. Discovery streaming has a series of geography videos they have liked as well. We are going to keep it more informal/ activity and exploration based as we are continuing our history studies as well.

I am combining Galloping the Globe and Trail Guide to World Geography.

My older two do Trail Guide and then we Gallop a country or two from the continent we are on. I am finding this to be a good balance, as my older two are working more with the mapping and every one gets to take part in the cultural and environment studies we do.

We started the year with ECC and it was a disaster. There have been so many threads about ECC, I would recommend doing a search and reading the pros and cons. Our experience was, it was too slow (starts with North America, and there's no way to skip ahead), the books were not fun, and the work (student worksheets) was too hard for a 3rd grader. I lost my 3rd grader's interest and had to regroup over Christmas. We picked up Galloping the Globe and we LOVE it. I am sad we didn't have it all year, we're going to miss out on so much. ECC is also not flexible. If you're not enjoying what you're studying, there is no way to jump around or ahead. GTG, is a unit study so you can study the continents any way you want. You can even jump from country to country and forget about the continents. Obviously, we love it.:D

Blessings!

Dorinda

Confessions of a Homeschooler has a program called Expedition Earth that we are planning to do next year.

This is what I am planning to do next year with a K5 and a 6/7 year old (2nd grade).

I may look at Galloping the Globe as well to supplement . . . plus hitting up Amazon and taking advantage of their 4-for-3 promotion! ;)

I'm planning to use Galloping the Globe next year with a 5th grader, 3rd grade twins, and a K-5er. I'll use parts of the Trail Guide to World Geography for the oldest, and some Trip Around the World ideas for the younger ones.

GTG looks like a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to it.

Blessings,

Laura