Menu

Copywork--helpful for older child (13) with poor punctuation, spelling & handwriting?

ereks mom

HV is almost 13, and her handwriting is AWFUL, spelling is hit or miss (for example, she can spell tremendously & perpendicular, but she consistently misses tomorrow & thought). She often forgets to put periods at the end of sentences, and she NEVER remembers to use apostrophes for possessives. :confused: Would copywork be a good idea? If so, where would I find useful copywork, and how should I implement it?

my daughter is only 10, but for spelling we use dictation from books (currently using skylark). i choose passages that include commas, quotations, etc. when we started, she would miss a lot - but now she can hear the commas, and no longer hesitates with quotations, etc. we cover 6 sentences a day. after each lesson, we discuss the sentences and make any corrections if needed. i find this more effective than copywork (at least for my daughter). hth.

ETA - i would start the week with copywork and use the same passages for dictation later in the week. that would be more beneficial now that i think about it:)

Edited by mytwomonkeys

I was wondering this myself as my 14 yr old is the same exact way. Horrible handwriting, poor spelling, and never knows when to put punctuation in, ugh.

I just might start back with that with her and see how it goes. Glad to know I'm not the only one out there with a child this age that does the same thing. Sometimes I feel like she just does it to get it done and just doesn't care. Very frustrating.

Something that has helped us combine all of these skills is just for me to make my own copywork pages. I have used worksheet works with good success. I usually find my own passages, either from a book we are reading, or from our memory work, or just even lists of words. She has to trace the cursive part, then there's space for her to write it herself. So she gets the handwriting practice modeling the right form, and she is seeing good sentences with punctuation and spelling. My dds spelling is bad enough that I am going to find a sneaky way to get her started with AAS (she was pulled from public school and didn't learn the phonics rules), so that will hopefully reinforce her spelling, but this method above works for me as copywork/handwriting practice.

I would choose a passage from a book she is currently reading - or, to start off with, have her choose her own passage. Then, talk through the passage together noting meaning, punctuation, spelling patterns etc. Then have her copy it carefully in neatest handwriting and making it clear that it should be correct because, after all, she has the copy right there.

On the next day, take the same passage and have her practice any words that you think she would have trouble with. Then have her spell them. When ready, dictate the passsage for your dd to write down. Next check through it together while comparing with original and making corrections. If necessary, do the same passage the next day. Over time, this process should really help.:001_smile:

HTH

I would choose a passage from a book she is currently reading - or, to start off with, have her choose her own passage. Then, talk through the passage together noting meaning, punctuation, spelling patterns etc. Then have her copy it carefully in neatest handwriting and making it clear that it should be correct because, after all, she has the copy right there.

On the next day, take the same passage and have her practice any words that you think she would have trouble with. Then have her spell them. When ready, dictate the passsage for your dd to write down. Next check through it together while comparing with original and making corrections. If necessary, do the same passage the next day. Over time, this process should really help.:001_smile:

HTH

:iagree:

I was wondering this myself as my 14 yr old is the same exact way. Horrible handwriting, poor spelling, and never knows when to put punctuation in, ugh.

I just might start back with that with her and see how it goes. Glad to know I'm not the only one out there with a child this age that does the same thing. Sometimes I feel like she just does it to get it done and just doesn't care. Very frustrating.

My thoughts exactly.