Menu

Started reading The WTM....DANG! that's good stuff!

alisoncooks

Okay, I'll admit...I've avoided the Classical model of education.

After all, I've got 4 years of college training as a teacher + several years of teaching in the public schools and we never did any of that stuff! (:rolleyes: please note sarcasm...)

Last year an acquaintance of mine read TWTM as a pre-requisite to enter her child into a private academy. It was as though she'd consumed some cult Kool-Aid; every time we spoke (she knew I was going to homeschool) she was pushing this doggone book. "You have GOT to read this!" "It'll change how you look at education!"

Yeah, right. Crazy nut.

Well, I've been frequenting this forum b/c it's a wealth of hs info/opinions, though I'm not teaching "classically." I'd planned on following the history cycles starting in the middle elem grades simply b/c I thought it was "cool" that my young child learn about the ancients. (I don't remember learning that in elementary!)

Anyway, on a whim, I checked out TWTM from my library. Needed some "light" reading. :001_huh: Anyway.....WOW.

WOW WOW WOW.

I feel like I'm at a church revival. Every other sentence I read, I'm raising my hands and giving "AMEN!"s. (Actually, I'm not much of a hand-raiser in real life, but I digress...)

But (at about 45 pg into it) I have not found a single thing I DON'T like...and most of what I read has made GREAT sense to me. I made my poor DH listen to countless excerpts last night.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

I should call my acquaintance...tell her I drank the Kool-Aid. :D

Welcome to the Hive. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile!

Really though, there's a great mix of people on the boards doing everything from unschooling to "draconian" homeschooling. I think you'll really enjoy the conversation and all the great advice. Welcome!

I think "resistance *is* futile!" I absolutely HATED TWTM book the first time I looked at it. And then I started coming here for the General Board discussions (back at the old board). And slowly I started thinking this was a good thing. When I started homeschooling my friend's son, I did WTM all the way. Almost 11months ago, I got three new littles who we will adopt this spring (CPS is slow on these things and it seems like it is taking forever). Anyway, and as we pick materials and plan out things for next year when I can have them home, I also am definitely WTM-focused.

It is an amazing thing when you find the style or pedagogy that clicks for you. For some, it is CM, for others it is unschooling. For me it is TWTM. It works for me and works for my kids. Well, perhaps a better word is 'flows'. Classical flows for me. I get it.

One nice thing, for me anyway, is that when you know your approach it seems to make homeschooling so much easier. I can look at materials and generally figure out very quickly if they will work with a classical model or not. I don't have to worry too much about what next year should look like. It saves me a lot of time and $

Funny, funny post! I am glad you found the book!

I wish my mom would read it. She totally supports my homeschooling. She is a public school teacher, schooled in their methods. She also has been intrigued by our chronological history approach. She once called it our 4 yr long Social Studies experiment :) But she does not get my methods or ideas sometimes regarding other things, and likes to argue some of them. One day I will get her to drink the kool aid too!

OT: On a funny note, I just typed "drink the kook aid." As I changed the k to l, I wondered if my original word kook was actually more fitting~ might be for me!

Just be glad you came around while your kids are still young. I just bought it and my oldest is 8yo. I feel so behind now!

:iagree: my oldest is 9 and I have had to tweak a good bit to mesh all my younglings into the "mix" Wish I had found WTM sooner but with me only homeschooling a wee bit over a year; not sure I would have really appreciated it at the beginning of this journey.

Awh, this is so cute! :)

Isn't it fun after you set it down, get up, walk around in circles and feel like "I've been lied to my whole life! No fair, want re-do, now!"

ps: What flavor was your kool aid? I think mine was grape.

I reread TWTM probably 2-3 times a year, and have for the last eight years and I still feel like this every single time I read it!

To the OP: :D Welcome to the Hive!

I drug my heels before reading it as well! My only regret is that I bought the kindle edition. Wish I had the physical book to flip through

I own all three editions, it was the reason I decided to homeschool, before it had never occurred to me. When I read this post, I thought it would be great to also have it on my iPad so I could refer to it at the library or while out, etc. so I just got the kindle edition. I wonder if there will be a fourth edition?