Menu

What would you do? Family sickness and school

mamajag

So here's the situation: Last week, DH and I took a rare 3-day trip to New Orleans, so school was missed. We came home, and we've all been passing around some cold/flu like stuff and felt horrible. DS went to the doc and they did 2 strep tests and one was positive and the other negative so we really don't know what we're dealing with, but that's a whole 'nother ball of wax. We've not done school this week as everyone being sick has been rather exhausting.

The girls are getting better faster than little man and I. DH is in North Dakota, and he's really not good with hs anyway. Tonight they were acting up and fighting, and I was trying to figure out what was going on. Both of them (even school-reluctant dd2) asked to please do school tomorrow. I had told them earlier in the day we would start again on Monday.

Do I start tomorrow, even with ds still needing me a lot and me still being pretty darn sick? Part of me is all happy that they have this need for school, and part of me says teachers get sick days. Maybe they need to learn that sometimes other things come first. I don't know what to do. They are not going to buy "documentary school" tomorrow. I bought them off homeschool today with that. What says the hive?

if they want/need "it", do it... it might not be the full schedule

Dd2 I could do a half day with easily. Dd1 is extremely comforted by routine and will want the full day. I think I will do school with them but explain that ds and I are still sick, so we may not be able to do everything.

Actually, the lack of routine is probably the biggest problem here. Even ds doesn't know what to do in the morning if he's not coloring on copies of the dd's worksheets at his desk. Have I created a monster? :confused:

I have a "sub day" file, similar to what I had when I was a teacher-it has things like the summer-type workbooks, logic puzzles, games, suggestions for computer activities/videos, and so on. If I have a migraine, or we need to do school on the road, we simply grab the sub file. DD tends to enjoy these days because they're different, but it still provides her the structure of school that she seems to need. Sometimes homeschool moms need substitute teachers, too.

I have a "sub day" file, similar to what I had when I was a teacher-it has things like the summer-type workbooks, logic puzzles, games, suggestions for computer activities/videos, and so on. If I have a migraine, or we need to do school on the road, we simply grab the sub file. DD tends to enjoy these days because they're different, but it still provides her the structure of school that she seems to need. Sometimes homeschool moms need substitute teachers, too.

That is an absolutely fantastic idea! :001_smile:

For the record, the DDs did math and then we had a "technology class". I taught them how to delete pictures and videos from their iPods when they needed the space, how to rearrange and organize their apps, how to access their PDFs, and how to sync. We also did some Google searches. They decided that they had learned a whole lot in tech class and were ready to let their brains relax.

We school year round, so we don't worry about the days, but the absolute need for school and the behavior change kind of freaked me out. They are back to their mostly angelic selves now. DH and I are nomadic and spontaneous by nature and we have kids who are really not. I don't know how that happened. :001_huh:

That is an absolutely fantastic idea! :001_smile:

We school year round, so we don't worry about the days, but the absolute need for school and the behavior change kind of freaked me out. They are back to their mostly angelic selves now. ... :001_huh:

Ours are like that, too. I want more vacations!!!!! :D

Whatever chance my kids get...they would rather play video games all day or play with their Little People like towns or watch movies all day. They do not like school or learning much. SIGH! We didn;t have school for a near two months because we were sick that whole time. I thought I was going to lose my hair as I completely freak out not being on schedule. They on the other hand were rather happy as larks not to be doing school.

I am the one that freaks out when we don't do school. I need the routine or the feel that we are moving along in our curriculum books.

STAR testing next month is not helping either.

I am debating whether or not to just not do any school for awhile and see if they start begging to learn.

We went to the Celtic Fair last Friday and we got invited to join a guild on Vikings as my husband and stepdaughters and son are of Viking descent (Norwegian). So we have been researching and researching Vikings. Well at least I am and whatever tidbit I find interesting I go and tell the kids. I also showed them a Viking documentary and they built a Viking ship in our living room with chairs and my big tall white board as the mast frame and sheets for the sails. They were raiding and plundering each other and holding each other hostage etc. Along with sword fighting each other. We also watched The Vikings with Michael Douglas. Would that count as a school day?:tongue_smilie:

Maybe I should have them do a lapbook....sigh...