Menu

For the record: I'm not an unschooler.

Someone brought this up in another thread.

I was unschooled, but I do not unschool my kids.

We experimented with unschooling one of my partner's sons for a time, but went back to structured, parent-imposed education after a short while.

My kids do math, Latin and other basic subjects almost every day. Not being in the mood is not an option. I'm not an unschooler.

I knew that too!

But someday do you have something written on how you compare your unschooling and the decision to NOT your own kids? Because i'm nosey and curious :D

I would also be very interested in hearing about your ideas about unschooling, as I have never really met an adult who was unschooled. All of the unschoolers I have encountered were still children. It would be fascinating to hear your perspective.

It would be fascinating to hear your perspective.

...something on her blog about this. (That's how I knew she wasn't an unschooler...her blog.)

Or did I imagine it, lol?

(I'd love to hear any additional details, if you've shared before, Rose, or new ones. This subject is fascinating to me.)

...something on her blog about this. (That's how I knew she wasn't an unschooler...her blog.)

Or did I imagine it, lol?

(I'd love to hear any additional details, if you've shared before, Rose, or new ones. This subject is fascinating to me.)

I read it there too. I think Rose has a fascinating story of her educational journey and how it led her to her choices for her sons.

But I believe that entry is way back. Rose, could you put that post at the top of your blog for a bit?

I read it there too. I think Rose has a fascinating story of her educational journey and how it led her to her choices for her sons.

But I believe that entry is way back. Rose, could you put that post at the top of your blog for a bit?

It's hard to explain why I don't unschool my own kids without crossing over into criticizing my dad's choices. I'd never want him to think that I'm ungrateful for what he gave me. I certainly don't want to go around whining about what my parents did. I was given a tremendous amount of responsibility. I can't say that what my parents did -- unschooling-- was not good for me because the nature of unschooling is that it's all about what I chose to do. It's an individual process and I'd hate to lump all unschooling together as insufficient. For these reasons, I hardly ever talk bluntly about why I don't unschool my kids.

Unfortunately, I get these sorts of requests with amazing frequency. I recently adjusted the categories on my blog to reflect these inquiries. If you look in the sidebar you'll see a category in which I post experiences that contrast with what I thought, as a teenager, were benefits of unschooling, or ideas which have evolved out of my experiences being unschooled. It's mostly just educational theory in general, as I haven't quite gotten around to moving every post over to the new categories.

Here's one little blurb, on it, though. You might also be interested in this and in this.

You might want to go read Sara at The Learning Umbrella, another grown unschooler homeschooling her kids with more structure, who blogs about it.

I would also be very interested in hearing about your ideas about unschooling, as I have never really met an adult who was unschooled. All of the unschoolers I have encountered were still children. It would be fascinating to hear your perspective.

Sandra D0dd's children are grown now and writing about their experiences. I won't link her name because that will draw her here, but if you Google her or visit this popular post on KathyJo's blog you'll find her kids' writings in short order.

They're all for unschooling. Either that or, like me, their parents read their blogs.

I very quickly breezed through your blog and wrongly got the impression that you were unschooling your children.:blushing:..(who BTW look just like mine). I actually think unschooling can work great with extremely self-directed children. This was not said in a negative, judgemental way...please don't take it that way. I actually think it is reassuring that you were homeschooled and have decided to homeschool your children. Hope the tone that was conveyed was a helpful one, not a lecturing one.

Sandra D0dd's children are grown now and writing about their experiences. I won't link her name because that will draw her here, but if you Google her or visit this popular post on KathyJo's blog you'll find her kids' writings in short order.

They're all for unschooling. Either that or, like me, their parents read their blogs.

Is there a cringing smilie? Darlin', do you know how many hits that post has gotten? And the comments, even after I asked for people not to comment anymore? Oy! No! Bring her HERE, NOT to my blog again! LOL I was in a rage for a week. :tongue_smilie:

'Cause I'm very important. And so are all the little details of my life. ;) :lol:

:lol:

Thanks for the links to the posts on your blog - i got sucked in there the other day being nosey again to see why you were losing your older child to school. ::hug::

I can relate to not wanting to go into it all too - i hadn't thought of that side though. HMPH. I need to think things thru more.

We have unschool moments - the past 6 months have been a phase of it. Time to kick it up a notch, the child really does LOVE workbooks :tongue_smilie:

So you just type her name and she appears? That could honestly be fun.

BTW, Yay to Kathy Jo for "saying" Horse-you-know-what that many times on your blog. I love homeschool moms. Never predictable.

Wow! Thanks for this! I've always sorta envied those who really successfully unschool as I think it takes a huge amount of committment; a sort of full emersion into a learning lifestyle. I never thought I could do it because I just always felt somehow incapable of or not intelligent enought to figure out how to do it right. But the things you verbalize really speak to me. I do want them to be able to compartmentalize learning, to some extent, as you say, and for precisely the same reasons. You have really helped me to feel less uneasy about the road not taken,

I hope this wasn't meant as a thread to bash unschoolers. I practice mutual respect parenting. I'd also radically unschool my children if my DH wasn't so fearful of it. So we compromise.

I have lots of regrets of how I was raised too. I don't blame it on the way I was educated, although a certain school I attended really did a number on me that lasted well into my adult years. I think it's fair to say that lots of people can say their childhood was not-so-great and think their own parenting will be oh so much better. I laughed aloud when my mom told me she raised me opposite of how she was raised because she hated the way she was treated. But my mom's way was no better! My guess is that my kids will say the same thing to me one day. I do the best now with what I have and what I know. Don't we all?

Is there a cringing smilie? Darlin', do you know how many hits that post has gotten? And the comments, even after I asked for people not to comment anymore? Oy! No! Bring her HERE, NOT to my blog again! LOL I was in a rage for a week. :tongue_smilie:

Here you go --

dth638.jpg

I fought just as vehemently, on their side, when I was a teenager. Once, an unschooler I used to chat with found my blog and asked, "Whatever happened to you?" At the time I was saddened, so chose not to engage the writer. Now, I find I can sum up both my desire not to debate and my desire not to unschool in six words: I've learned that I'm often wrong.

Rose - that last post on your blog you linked to helped me get "who" you are - or better, how you became who you are.

Thanks for sharing it! And, i know that really, it's none of my stinkin' business, but in the last year or so between the WP forums, email and here you have been someone i've looked up to. Fair, level headed, funny, nice - someone i'd want to hang around (want to move to FL????).

Gee, really, i'm NOT trying to be a total suck up. Really i'm not! LOL!!

But thanks for sharing.

Am I the only one who *badly* wants to write her name out just to see what happens? My evil-let's-see-what-that-button-does side is starting to take over...

No, no, no, no, no! DooOOOooon't do it!

Go to KathyJo's blog and you can have all of it you want and more -- just don't bring it in here! lol...

I hope this wasn't meant as a thread to bash unschoolers.

No, it wasn't.

I don't blame it on the way I was educated.

I blame nothing on the way I was educated. I was responsible for my education. The blame for any failures lies with me.

I think it's fair to say that lots of people can say their childhood was not-so-great and think their own parenting will be oh so much better.

Yeah, this is quite possibly true. I think my childhood was pretty good. Many things I'm doing in the same way that my dad did them. He read me Greek classics when I was small, for example, and often strewed good books about that he wanted me to read. He taught me to meditate and debate logically. I do the same with my kids.

I try to avoid believing that I'll do it better. I try to avoid extremes and absolutes, and listen to what my kids think about their lives, allowing their voices to be louder than the child inside me.

I do the best now with what I have and what I know. Don't we all?

No, I don't think all parents do. I think some parents are lazy and some are scared, some are envious of other parents or prideful or short-sighted. Some are obsessed with other things and so, simply, distracted. But many parents are doing the best they can or know, and these, I am sure, include many unschoolers and classical ed'ers.

Fair, level headed, funny, nice - someone i'd want to hang around (want to move to FL????).

Ha! Tracey, I may be funny, but not in an on-purpose sort of way. In fact, I'm surprised I've managed to be consistent for that whole past year in e-mail, on the WP forum, and here. Sometimes I post without thinking, then when I think about it, I change my mind. So I'll have a different opinion, or practice, a week later. I worry that someone will stalk me, read all my posts, and think I'm not a real person. In fact, that's one of the reasons I make my Flickr account public. I am real, I'm just crazy.

So, remember how much you like me when I'm posting something in direct conflict to something else I just said somewhere . . .

Rose, *you* may not be unschooling, but according to your May 20 post (oh, and the one this week about Verdi and Japan), Verdi seems to be doing some unschooling all on his own and without your permission. ;) Yup, I'm a lurker on your blog. Sorry if that's bad manners. I just feel weird posting comments most of the time on people's blogs. I'm strange that way.:001_huh:

So, remember how much you like me when I'm posting something in direct conflict to something else I just said somewhere . . .

That just makes me feel normal!! :lol:

Remember, we are mom's - WE get to make the rules, no one can say we are wrong. It's our RIGHT to change our minds :D