Menu

Things to consider when moving?

I know most people say look at local schools but we HS so that doesn't matter. What would you be looking for in a community as secular homeschoolers? Were hoping to move out of state this summer and will likely be there for several years. Right now there are not many options for HS kids here unless you can afford private lessons and such which we can't. I have no idea what one might find for HS options in larger communities that I should keep an eye out for when we go looking for a new place?

Thought I better clarify, like how might I find out about co-ops or special memberships for HS'ers.

Edited by BlueTaelon

We moved two years ago and found that actually looking at a community's school district is a great way to tell something about the community. It's not full-proof but it's a starting point.

For example, when you have great schools you also tend to have things around the great schools that cater to families/kids/parents.

Also great school districts tend to mean low crime etc.

I think it's a good place to start.

The other thing I would recommend is that when you have your eye on a particular community put a post on this forum and ask how friendly it is to homeschoolers.

Good luck,

Alley

If you are buying, the schools do matter, as when you sell they will affect how much your house will sell for and how quickly (or even if) it will sell. You might decide to go with a lesser school district and pay less, but do so knowing the trade-offs.

Other than that, I've looked at the number of homeschoolers in different school districts or counties, to get a sense of how easy it will be to find local activities. I've also looked at proximity to a library and walkability (there is a web site that scores this).

If you are buying, the schools do matter, as when you sell they will affect how much your house will sell for and how quickly (or even if) it will sell. You might decide to go with a lesser school district and pay less, but do so knowing the trade-offs.

Other than that, I've looked at the number of homeschoolers in different school districts or counties, to get a sense of how easy it will be to find local activities. I've also looked at proximity to a library and walkability (there is a web site that scores this).

We'll be renting, no way would I make enough money to buy.

I think you'll get more responses if you name the state to which you may be moving. You don't have to be specific about towns or anything like that, but even something relatively general like "southwestern PA" would probably get you quite a bit of helpful information.

I only say this because there are many places where most of the homeschool groups and co-ops tend to be Christian in nature (and require that you sign their statements of faith,) and if you're looking for secular groups, you will need to give us some more info, so folks who already live in the area can be of help to you.

I think you'll get more responses if you name the state to which you may be moving. You don't have to be specific about towns or anything like that, but even something relatively general like "southwestern PA" would probably get you quite a bit of helpful information.

I only say this because there are many places where most of the homeschool groups and co-ops tend to be Christian in nature (and require that you sign their statements of faith,) and if you're looking for secular groups, you will need to give us some more info, so folks who already live in the area can be of help to you.

I dont know where yet, my best friend is trying to get me to move to Utah but I am worried about the fact that not only are we not Mormon but not even Christian in a highly religious state. My last support here is moving to Idaho this summer and we will have no one here which is a bad thing when you have 2 special needs kids, taking both to the ER at the same time REALLY SUCKS, I like being able to drop the well one off at the sitters while we go lol. Trying to talk my friend into moving else where not so religious (its a long crazy story how she even ended up there a couple months ago)

The only things I am firm on is:

Within 3 hours of a children's hospital

High speed internet, 3mbps min or higher min with no caps (I was shocked to learn many places call 1.5mb high speed and they cap it to boot. We use a HUGE amount of bandwidth)

LGBT friendly would be nice, I can't stand living in homophobic places and I don't want my kids learning those views