Menu

Do you buy your curriculum new or used?

I'm trying to save some money and trying to buy used. It's not happening fast enough for me, haha. I search the FS many times a day looking for what I need for next year and many times I think it would be so much easier if I just went and bought new. It got me thinking and wondering what other moms do.

What do you do?

If it's something that's relatively cheap anyway, I'll buy it new, but if it's something that's expensive, like my Oak Meadow or Teaching Textbooks stuff, I buy it used. It's taken some patience...browsing the for sale boards, posting and bumping on the want to buy boards, but if I can save a decent amount of money that way, I will.

I do both. I shop used as much as possible: here, ebay, a couple of groups on facebook, paperback swap, etc. I also shop on amazon (and use swagbucks to earn free gift cards) as well to try to find the best deals. If some time goes by and I can't find what I need on one of those I will buy new.

Mostly used, esp math and any textbooks (we used Rod and Staff for dd for grammar, and some science texts for ds, plus Spielvogel)--but I like some new fiction books to entice dd to read them. She's visual and likes the look of new book covers. :001_smile:

My top sites for used are:

Amazon

Vegsource

Homeschoolclassifieds

WTM

I've done both. I've bought used items and pieced things together and then bought some new books that I couldn't find. I've also just bought the entire core new. Nowadays though the budget is tight so I'm keeping my eyes out and selling what we don't use anymore. I do that yearly. That helps supplement the cost of what we need to buy.

I buy mostly used, although this year I did order new because a new edition came out for the curriculum I wanted. I will be using it with 2 children though so I'm okay with that.

We have a local used homeschool and educational products store, so that makes it a lot easier for me to find used. I also buy from this board if I'm lucky to catch something.

I tried buying used as much as I could to save money. I had my whole year planned out and started buying the materials as they came up on FS boards. And then.... I changed my mind about what curriculum I was going to use after getting a good look at everything and all that money I thought I had saved? Not so much. After all, you can't return a used purchase! Thankfully I'm pretty sure I will be able to re-sell most it, so it won't be a complete loss.

Except for used reading books that my library doesn't carry or that we will be using for an extended period of time I pretty much only buy new now.

I like to buy used if I can look at it first. So I usually purchase used through local homeschool groups. I prefer to buy new because then I know I have everything I need. I don't like having an item missing here and there. It bugs me. :) There is also a great local homeschool library we borrow from often!

Mine works out to about half and half. If it's less expensive and the item is in good shape, I'll happily buy used. Other things I just have to bite my lip and click the buy button. If I could, I'd buy everything new, but I'm not that wealthy. Some of the stuff I want is expensive! ;)

I try to buy used if I can, but I buy a hefty amount new as well. Buying used was helpful when I first started homeschooling; I didn't waste as much money buying and selling used while figuring out what I liked. Now that I have a better idea of what I will like, I buy new a little more readily.

Because I'm getting the 4-year cycle of TOG, I buy that new (this coming year is the last one!! :hurray:) Most of the books needed I'll buy used on half.com or something if I can't find it at the library. Other curriculum I'll buy used if I can find it. With my oldest in high school, I have most of what my youngers need already, with the exception of math workbooks and a few minor things like that.

I buy as much "non-consuming" curriculum as I can. There are a couple of used curriculum sales in our area each year that I'll look through, and hopefully find what my high schooler needs. Otherwise I'll buy it new.

This past year I spent about $1000 for curriculum/materials for 5 students (almost half of that was for TOG with suppliments, 1/4 was high school chemistry, and 1/4 was misc. supplies/books/workbooks).

I have purchased used, but I prefer new. I would say that I have purchased the greater majority of homeschool stuff new.

Shipping was a big problem when I tried buying used. I once tried to piece together a Sonlight Core. I came really close to paying the same amount for the used stuff than if I had just purchased the full core from Sonlight. I didn't save much money and the books were in very used condition. I never did that again. That was when Amazon became my best friend.

I buy all new. I don't have much choice. There aren't many people using my choices and there isn't a big secondhand market in Australia for homeschooling. So if I was to buy used from overseas and pay shipping it usually costs the same as new anyway.

I don't seem to like any of the more popular curriculums so can never find what I need.

I buy both new and used curriculum, but I would say about 75 % of my purchases are new.

I like to purchase new because I like to have the latest version or issue of the product because I will be using it for many years. I have 4 children to pass the item through and I like the most current issue and the item needs to be in the best shape possible to withstand so much use over so many years.

Now for regular reading and research books to accompany the curriculum, those are purchased used through Amazon Market Place, Ebay, Used Book Sales, Library Sales and Goodwill. That is where I save the most money and I enjoy the hunt to find the books for cheap to cut down on my curriculum costs.

I buy more used than I do new. But with actual curriculum, a larger proportion is new, because if I know what I want and can't find it used, then I'll buy it new. If a new edition is coming out, then I'll usually buy it new knowing I won't likely find the new version used. There are a few consumable workbooks we use, so when the next child needs it, I'll look for it used, but buy it new if I can't find it after a while.

Most of our supplemental materials and living books I have bought used. The best way I have found to buy used consistently is to plan way ahead and have a wish list and then just keep my eyes out for the books I want. I also buy used on Amazon whenever possible. Overall, I've had very good luck buying used materials and books.

Our curriculum is mostly new from local suppliers to save on expensive international postage.

There are very few homeschoolers here doing WTM. I tried to sell Writing with Ease with the level 1 workbook on the biggest coutrywide e-loop (which is relative as it has about 1200 members) at a low price and I did not get any interest.

Reference books, reading books, etc are all used from 2nd hand bookstores, bookmooch, book sales, etc. Over the years we've built a good home library as our local public library is quite pathetic.

Edited by Hannah
clarity

Wow, thanks. I wish I had a homeschool place closeby where I could buy used curriculum. There is a homeschool coop in my town but we don't pay to belong to it. Too costly for me.

Also thanks for a couple ideas where to buy from. I'll have to check them out. How safe is it to by from Homeschool classifieds? It's a little overwhelming and I'm always so nervous about getting taken. How does their site work?

I buy 95% used because of finances. Sometimes it takes a while to find what you need used - I buy 90% off amazon which helps.

:iagree:

I will search the FS boards, used homeschool curriculum sites, amazon, and even my local homeschooling store BEFORE I purchase new. I give it about 6-8 weeks of searching...so I begin EARLY. Thankfully the time I begin searching is usually when alot of families are doing the same and put out their used curriculum. I shop around tax time...January-April is my shopping months. Thankfully this year I got everything I need for next year at the end of January to mid February! The only thing new I have to buy every year is HWOT workbooks. So far I've found everything else used.

I always buy new. It's just easier for me. I don't think I have the time or patience to try to cobble together what I want with used stuff.

Now that I'm homeschooling my last kiddo, my curriculum budget has dropped considerably. I always allowed $1,000 per child, per year, but now I don't even spend the $1,000 on my youngest. We have so much curriculum in my house (because I don't resell my stuff either), I could open my own used homeschool material bookstore. LOL Maybe in a few years.

I only buy used if it will save me tons and it really depends on the condition and who is selling it (been burned a few too many times). Like if it is only a TE no I won't buy it, since it will cost me to get the other resources and shipping it usually ends up not being worth it. So, for the most part I buy new saves me the hassle later on. It all shows up at once, I know the condition will be usable, and saves me time.

Both...I make a list of books I need for the school year, and get bargains here or there (lots of time on historical fiction/literature), gently used (like new) textbooks. I've gotten some really *excellent* deals on things (like new set of books that would normally cost about $300, I paid $50). Workbooks, though, I just buy new.

There are a lot of new editions in many things I am buying this year...so I'll be buying them new (because I can't get a used TE for a new book :D)

I have a hsing store that carries both new and used, so if I can get used, I go w/that.

I've also bought off of the net.

When we move, I'll probably have to switch to largely new, since it'll be a small town, and no used book stores, etc. By the time we factor in gas, etc to go to a large city, we likely won't be any further ahead trying to buy used from there.

I buy gently used sets whenever possible, but new, unmarked workbook type items.

I've learned over the years that if I can buy a gently used set of say, Sonlight, WinterPromise, Apologia, Teaching Textbooks, etc. and we use the books carefully, I can re-sell those same items for what I paid for them.

There are some curricula that don't sell as well as others (ie BJU Press, Abeka).

Although we have a fantastic homeschooling resource about 10 miles away, I choose to order from them on-line, and have it shipped. (It's only $4 shipping). Saves me road time and gas. :001_smile:

I started out buying mostly used. But we had a much more limited budget then. I also would buy things used that I wasn't sure abiut. So that I could see them. Most things, these days, I buy new. I've had a few bad experiences buying used. Mostly good. But one year, after searchin for ds's R&S english, I found it used. When the book came, it had a huge gouge out of the back and the sing wasn't tight. The seller refunded $5. Then I was at a used book sale and found one for $5. When I got that home, I noticed that is was half written in. (so bein able to see it didn't even help, since it wasn't all the pages and i just flipped through the book) grr. At that point, I figured the $10 I saved wasn't worth the trouble. These books have to last through 3, now 5, kids. Better to start out new, than save a few bucks and not have it last. Now, some things I will still buy used. Some of the TOG books are so much cheaper used, it doesn't make sense to buy new. And the new edition BJU science books are carp. That cover's not going to last through one kids, whether i buy new or not. And they are $$$. So it does depend, but i lean towards new now.

I am majorly jealous you live near a homeschooling store!

Then again, that might be a dangerous place for me. :D

We have one too, and it has a used book room. Very Dangerous for me - I normally spend $50+ every time I go in the used book room {which is way out of budget!}