Menu

HOD and Bigger Questions...

HI there, icon_biggrin.gif

I listed these questions on HOD's message board but also wanted to ask them here.

I have a few questions about Bigger Hearts....

We are considering this program.

1) Does everyone get their kids to do cursive? If so, when do you know it is the right time to move ahead and start?

If you don't, do you ever intend to or not?

2) Does HOD in its future courses do Art from a Christian perspective or is it always tied in with history?

3) How does geography progress into the courses. I see it is touched upon in Bigger...I just wondered if anymore time is given to say studying cultures or people in a geographical sense?

4) Is there a missions focus on countries or is it more done on person/biography. If some of you have done ECC from MFW, have you found it better to do it biographically rather than geographically? If so why?

5) Science in Bigger: I see from the sample week it lists science and then has the key idea...I really liked what they list - in order to see what is covered in science is there a list anywhere or has anyone done their own list of the key topics studied in science for the year? I would like to see how they fit in with our state/country.

6) On Unit 1, Day 2 in 'Science Exploration' Box. The Key Idea is that God made the sea and the dry land. He designed the moon's gravity to cause the tides. The book that is used is, 'One Small Square: Seashore'. Does this book go into any detail more about the moon's gravity affecting the tides?

Kind Regards

Sherid

The Cook Islands

Edited by CookIslandsMommy
added more questions

I listed these questions on HOD's message board but also wanted to ask them here.

1) Does everyone get their kids to do cursive? If so, when do you know it is the right time to move ahead and start?

I don't worry about doing cursive when HOD tells me to. We work through Pentime handwriting and progress with that program.

2) Does HOD in its future courses do Art from a Christian perspective or is it always tied in with history?

Not really. It is tied into its poetry at one point. I wouldn't say art is a big focus of HOD. Oh, wait I forgot. Last year my daughter studied paintings using RTR and that def. had a christian vibe to it.

3) How does geography progress into the courses. I see it is touched upon in Bigger...I just wondered if anymore time is given to say studying cultures or people in a geographical sense?

Not to the extent that MFW does it with ECC. She does have a program on the horizon for high school that focuses on Geography. Every year does have geography included however. This year my daughter is studying the states in Rev to Rev.

4) Is there a missions focus on countries or is it more done on person/biography. If some of you have done ECC from MFW, have you found it better to do it biographically rather than geographically? If so why?

I like how HOD weaves geography into their program naturally without making the whole program about it like ECC does. It can become tiresome to do the same thing day after day.

5) Science in Bigger: I see from the sample week it lists science and then has the key idea...I really liked what they list - in order to see what is covered in science is there a list anywhere or has anyone done their own list of the key topics studied in science for the year? I would like to see how they fit in with our state/country.

Yes, here is HOD Scope and Sequence.

Kind Regards

Sherid

The Cook Islands

. Edited by Michelle My Bell

Thanks Michelle,

I went to the link for the scope, but I was looking for a real meatier scope and sequence for science. That is a real brief overview.

I am after something that outlines every key idea/topic for each week.

I would like to see which topics are covered for that year and then the years after and match up with my country/state requirements.

I am after more than just "seashore" for week 1 etc, but more something like:

Unit 1: Seashore: Tides, Foreshore, Gravity, Sinking and Floating, Waves, Seashore animals, etc

I hope that makes more sense.

Thanks again

Sherid

I knew that I wanted dd to learn to read and write cursive, but I hadn't chosen a start date. Dd found the cursive book (we use ARFH) and excitedly said that she wanted to learn cursive. ;) I said great and we got started. That was a few months ago (middle of 2nd grade) and she is doing very well with it. She has written me some sweet notes thanking me for teaching her. :001_wub:

She is also learning to type (she asked to learn) and I think I will probably let her type some of the things that are to be written in Preparing. She will enjoy the variety.

Hope you have a great year with HOD!

We do cursive in 3rd grade. My children have not had great printing to begin with and cursive seems to help their print and find motor skills.

I haven't seen art as a separate course that wasn't tied to history or poetry and we are in CTC now.

It is integrated through the guides. In CTC you do a geography based on the Bible lands. There is going to be a high school guide for Geography through history. I am not sure what that means though and often until the guides are out and the book choices are known it is hard to know exactly what the feel of the future guides will be from the scope and sequence chart.

This would be really hard to pull together as it is really dependent on how in-depth you wish to go with the science topics.

6) On Unit 1, Day 2 in 'Science Exploration' Box. The Key Idea is that God made the sea and the dry land. He designed the moon's gravity to cause the tides. The book that is used is, 'One Small Square: Seashore'. Does this book go into any detail more about the moon's gravity affecting the tides?

I would say that no it does not go into great detail about it. The children do a notebooking assignment with a drawing from the book, but I find the one small square books to be hard to elaborate from and they are hard to read sometimes. The seashore book is constantly referring to your square on the beach that you are supposed to be observing all the tides and sea creatures while reading this book. Well, we don't live near the beach so it is odd to read and narrate about something the children have never seen. They are neat books but we have had days where we read 2 pages about this square we are watching on the beach and it really is hard to make-believe our way through the book.

Kind Regards

Sherid

The Cook Islands

It is hard to really line up standards with this style curriculum in science. You would really need the guides in hand and the books in hand with your standards in hand to see if you could correlate them.