Menu

HO level 2 questions...Ancients vs Middle Ages placement

truebluexf

If we skip right into HO 2 Middle Ages, will DS miss a gentle transition to more writing? I'm skimming them both, and seems to be so, but I may be wrong. We've been doing some Ancients this year, so it would be nice to get to the next time period for 5th grade, but for a reluctant writer....it makes me nervous. I may just continue with SOTW, but I'm torn, because I like the way HO is spelled out for him and TO him. I need a way to make sure we really get stuff done next year, and done well. He is working on WWW3 this year, for writing level reference. If DD2's health becomes a little less work than it has been, we could potentially work more on written narrations for the rest of this year with history. Otherwise, assume he's going in with the work done in WWE2 and very little of writing his own narrations without first telling them to me to dictate back to him.

If he is a reluctant writer, I would go ahead and do HO Ancients next year. There is still plenty of reading material out there for him to read for ancients, and if he's in 5th grade, you are ready to start logic stage in the history cycle, so unless you are trying to get an extra year to play with in high school, your history cycles will work out perfectly if that's what you wish to do. He will probably appreciate the bump up in maturity level from SOTW to HO.

Good luck!

The simple answer is yes, the "gentle" intro is in Level 1.

The good answer is that you can tweak Level 2 (if you have the time) to be gentler in the beginning. If you don't have the time, redo Ancients w/Level 1.

It would be *much* worse going into Level 3 'cold' than Level 2.

Have you looked at HO's Try Before You Buy option? You can download 11 full weeks of curric (I don't remember if the maps come with it though) so you can see what kind of writing will be done. I don't think there's a huge leap in writing from Ancients level 2 to MA level 2. You could easily start with MA if you like. I wouldn't keep SOTW for 5th and up. I know many people do it, but it seems way too young for older grades IMO. We're using HO Ancients 2, but I'm adding Human Odyssey Vol 1 instead of The Story of Mankind.