Menu

School won't let me move child from bad classroom.

Guest cdragon76

Guest cdragon76

Wanted to know what rights do I have as a parent to take my child out of a classroom, where he does not want to be in anymore? I talked to the school and they won't let me move him to another class. Do they have the rights to do this? Their reason is because there is only one period left. Why should that matter? When a student is in a classroom that he does not want to be in that will affect his grade. He is in honors math and the teacher does not do her job right. Many students have left her room but that was earlier in the year. Many parents have complained about her but not much is being done because she is retiring this year. I can't do anything about her but I should be able to do something about where my kids should be place if there is a better teacher out there. It just does not make sense to me because it is just one hour class that is moving out of. I want my kids to keep getting A's and continue being ISAT scholars but I can't work with a teacher that just does not care anymore, because I still care. Is there anything I can do?

Sincerely,

Courtney

Depending on where you are, a request for switching classes may be totally dependent upon the principal of the school. Some districts may let you make a request at the school board. Why don't you call your local school board and ask?

You are asking on a homeschool forum, so I suspect most of us don't have this issue. :)

Mandy

It's up to the school. They have every right to say no to your son's request. If they allowed it, every child would want to get out, and then they're left with no one in this teacher's class and overcrowded classes for the other teachers.

I had a similar problem when one of my children was in public school. The principal didn't want to do anything to solve any problems in the school. All of the parents ended up going to the superintendent's office to get help and put pressure on the principal. This actually got results in our school.

You may want to contact the person at the superintendent's office who is in charge of the type of school your child attends (middle/high school?).

You might be able to get him out of that class and into an elective or a study hall, but it will probably be harder to make a lateral switch this late in the year. Especially if the desire to leave is based on him not earning an A in the class, at this late date. I think by the time you got movement from the school superintendant or school board, even more of the year will be gone. I think it is time for a heart to heart with you child, about how it isn't fair, but it is what it is and he can either change and do what the teacher requires for the A, get extra tutoring or whatever will keep the grade and learning in spite of the teacher, or be right, but get hurt by the lower grade. I know it is a tough place to be, we had a similar situation with one of my olders, but in that case there was a language barrier, the teacher literally had such a thick foreign accent that my daughter couldn't understand her, but the school was more worried about being seen as intolerant than worrying about whether the majority of the kids in her class could learn.

Dealing with a screaming, unorganized teacher who made my life frustrating for two years is the reason we now homeschool. I feel your frustration. Follow the chain of command. Teacher, Principal, Super-intendent, keep going up the food chain, LOUDLY. Document everything. Take notes during the meeting, allow them to photo copy your notes and ask for copies of their notes, follow up with actions plans, keep yapping at their heels until they finally listen.

If all else fails, cry if necessary. :D When I realized that I could do better than the school system, I felt empowered. You can homeschool your child. I am living proof! LOL

Dealing with a screaming, unorganized teacher who made my life frustrating for two years is the reason we now homeschool. I feel your frustration. Follow the chain of command. Teacher, Principal, Super-intendent, keep going up the food chain, LOUDLY. Document everything. Take notes during the meeting, allow them to photo copy your notes and ask for copies of their notes, follow up with actions plans, keep yapping at their heels until they finally listen.

If all else fails, cry if necessary. :D When I realized that I could do better than the school system, I felt empowered. You can homeschool your child. I am living proof! LOL

Totally agree with this ... we dealt with something similar for my oldest. We got to the point where several families were also complaining -- higher up than the teacher and principal and nothing was being done about it. We were all "forced" into homeschooling because of this terrible situation we were dealing with. We actually stuck it out the whole year (while the other familes left mid-year) but once we were done -- we didn't ever want to go back. In my son's case, because he was in special ed - they were going to KEEP him in this terrible setting for 3 more years (self-contained) and I think I would have had a nervous breakdown (and DS would have as well...) I agree with the pp that homeschooling is empowering and we know we can do better than that (a lot better!!!) In our case, our son is now excelling in certain areas and getting the necessary help he needs ... he is no longer regressing like he was that year.

You have to play by their rules, but you can still help your son.

I would suggest going through the book with your son, or looking at additional math resources to help him through the course. Honors math doesn't give me any idea of the level- but you should be able to help "guide" him through the rest of the year. Does his school offer tutoring? Would you be interested in hiring an outside math tutor-- another high school student in a higher level math? I would take this issue to the math department head (if it is not the same teacher) and ask for resources that can help you son succeed through the rest of the year.

Guest cdragon76

Thank you for all the advice. I think I'm just pissed off because I don't understand how we pay taxes and we are parents but we have no decision control on our kids education. Beside homeschooling and private school. Following the chain of command does not work in this school. Everyone sticks together. My meeting with the superintendent boss is going to be useless. I will cross my fingers. Sorry about this post, I did not know it was for homeschooling.

Sincerely,

Courtney

It's up to the school. They have every right to say no to your son's request. If they allowed it, every child would want to get out, and then they're left with no one in this teacher's class and overcrowded classes for the other teachers.

:iagree:

Thank you for all the advice. I think I'm just pissed off because I don't understand how we pay taxes and we are parents but we have no decision control on our kids education. Beside homeschooling and private school. Following the chain of command does not work in this school. Everyone sticks together. My meeting with the superintendent boss is going to be useless. I will cross my fingers. Sorry about this post, I did not know it was for homeschooling.

Sincerely,

Courtney

I feel your pain, but the truth is that in a group situation like this, not everyone gets to make the decisions. Individuals do not see the whole picture; that's what the administrators and others in charge see, and they have to do what's best for the whole group.

And that is one reason that many of us teach our own children at home. :)