Menu

Please critique my science sequence

My science plans have been completely changed for high school. I had been counting on doing science at our co-op, but my dd's life science class this year has made her hate science. It has been very dry and boring.

I've spent the day investigating and here's what I'm thinking.

Next year (8th), dd wants to do just physics. She is burned out on life science and we've done a lot of chemistry at home. I like the looks of Exploration Education. Otherwise, I would consider Conceptual Physics.

9th: Conceptual Chemistry

10th: Biology (Miller Levine?)

11th: AP Physics?

12th: choice--possibly AP Chemistry or specialize

Does this look like a good sequence for a college-bound student who may be interested in competitive schools? Dh has a doctorate in chemistry and dd is so much like him, I can't rule out future science major for her.

We've been enjoying Conceptual Physics this year and definitely recommend it. (I don't know the other book you are looking at.)

Doing advanced chemistry senior year makes sense--but if you've already done quite a bit of chem at home, you might think about adding a different kind of science freshman year. Maybe AP Environmental if she's up for the work of an AP class--or astronomy, or earth science.

Where is she at in math and what do you plan for that in high school?

Good question. She is taking Algebra I this year and will take Algebra II next year. She doesn't particularly like math, but she does well with concepts and word problems.

Good question. She is taking Algebra I this year and will take Algebra II next year. She doesn't particularly like math, but she does well with concepts and word problems.

I'd be inclined to change things a bit then.

With taking Algebra II in 8th, it's been suggested here that some trigonometry is all that's needed to be able to do a regular high school physics course. IOW it may not need to be just conceptual.

In 9th, I'd definitely recommend a regular chemistry course rather than conceptual as she will have had more than enough math for that.

Other than that, I think the progression looks good!

I'd be inclined to change things a bit then.

With taking Algebra II in 8th' date=' it's been suggested here that some trigonometry is all that's needed to be able to do a regular high school physics course. IOW it may not need to be just conceptual.

In 9th, I'd definitely recommend a regular chemistry course rather than conceptual as she will have had more than enough math for that.

Other than that, I think the progression looks good![/quote']

I agree. Conceptual Chemistry is way too light for what the OP describes. If it were me, I'd use the free CK-12 Chemistry or Chemistry: The Central Science as the spine and do lots of hands-on labs. For biology, Miller-Levine is excellent as is the free CK-12 Biology. Again, in either case, I'd plan to do as many hands-on labs as possible.

For 11th and 12th grade, I'd go with AP-level sciences, one and if possible two per year for at least one of the years. I might change order and do AP Chem in 11th and AP Physics in 12th, depending on when your daughter does calculus.

Thank you so much for your replies--they are really helping me think this through.

I'm going to stick with a lighter Physics next year, because she needs to have fun again and I want to focus on math and writing.

I was considering Conceptual Chemistry because she would have another chemistry class later, but I think you are right about changing that to a more rigorous approach. Then she won't have to do an AP Chemistry if she wants to study something else. I definitely want her to have at least one AP science class--we'll see where her interests lie before tackling any more.

Of course, I fully expect these plans to change, but at least I can feel good about having a general progression.