Menu

Did we have an 8th grade thread? Plans for 8th grade?

here is our schedule

math: teaching textbooks finish pre algebra then onto Jacobs Algebra, Key To(5 days/week)

science: finish PH Inside Earth then onto Life Science by Holt,Rhinehart and somebody???, The Brain, Forensics, dog 4-H(5 days/week)

English: R & S 6 ( I let her pick which one she wanted)(5 days/week)

LLFTLOTR(2 days/week)

Latin: First Form(5 days/week)

German: a variety that we are working through(5 days/week)

Government: The land of Fair Play, The Book of Rule(2 days/week)

History: AAH finish 1 and then 2, listen along to SOTW for fun in my house(3 days/week)

Art: Artistic Pursuits, whatever catches our fancy for drawing and reading Art History a PH, very large booK!(1day/week)

Music: Composer study(1 day/week)

I realized I had not specified the times associated with our schooling.

I don't mark gym as my daughter does karate 5 days/week and cardio kickboxing with me as well as exercising at home along with hiking with the dogs and training with the dogs. plus life.

Edited by vettechmomof2

I think i have my 8th grade schedule set (notice I said "think")

math: Saxon 1/2

science: Apologia Physical

history: PAC World Geography

grammar: AG 3rd season plus Editor in Chief

vocab: Word Roots

writing: Elements of Style and Quick Guide to Great Short Stories

lit: literature in support of World Geography using various lit guides

Spanish 1

I'm hoping for a robotics class through a local co-op but haven't seen the schedule yet.

Bible: Read Bible Through, memory work, and and a few AHG badges

Character: Ourselves-Charlotte Mason (first Half)

Literature: The Hobbit and Fellowship of the RIng (use 1/2 of LLTLOTR)

plus mythology, Gilgamesh, Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid, Bronze Bow, Medea, etc.

Composition: WWS

Grammar: Finish Grammar Voyage,

Vocabulary: Cartoon Vocabulary

Other Language Arts: Passbook: English I , copywork, dictation, narrations, SAT question of the Day; Poetry journal; How to Read a Book w/study guide (first 6 chapters)

Foreign Language: Hey Andrew Greek -volume 3 and 4 plus keep up with sign language

Math: Kinetic Algebra

Science: CK 12 High School Earth Science and Scout Badges that fit in this category

Science History: Aristotle Leads the Way and Student Book

History: Truthquest Egypt, Greece, and Rome (using Story of the Greeks and Story of the Romans and Plutarch as spines); Cartoon History of the Universe Books 1 and 2 (so very different lol); Relisten to SOTW Volume 1 in car; Book of Centuries

Geography: map work; Read Book of the Orient and Glorious Adventure by Richard Halliburton

Government/Economics: Uncle Eric's Liberal? Conservative? Confused? and Lessons from ANcient Rome; Current Event journal;

Music: hymn, folk song (from Oh Brother Where Art Thou), and classical song (Nabucco and Aida by Verdi, Orpheus in the Underworld-Offenbach, works of Richard Strauss) of the month

Art: Sistine Chapel works of Michelangelo, and artist studies of Edvard Munch, JW Waterhouse, and Giotto; Read relevant chapters of Child's History of Art and Story of Painting. One illustration/Drawing lesson a week.

Logic: Thinking Toolbox

We are not starting 8th grade till after December so we are still working on it.

Latin:Lukion Project

History: will be workshops with Lukion Project as well as living books, exploring what interest him.

Social Studies: we are new to our state so we will be studying our state

Science: we will have 5 months left on our supercharged Science subscription so will finish that and then go on to probably Khan Academy Life Sciences.

Math: he has already finished PreAlgebra so we may take a year "off" math and do review and maybe some consumer math.

Grammar: probably use Grammalouges because we have it already.

Literature and writing: is going to be book studies and writing projects

Art: we will continue studying art history using Khan.

Technology: continue with kidcoder and possible start Teencoder.

I owed y'all this and just couldn't get it done. I've dickered and thought, and this is about where I'm at. We have a couple things we're finishing up from last year (the last few cards of the VP 1815 to Modern, TT pre-algebra) and we're slowly easing into our new stuff.

-hymn study with the Joni Erickson Tada books. I want to do a better job about having a morning devotional/discussion time with her, and I thought this would connect with her well. Dh likes hymn stories. They're sort of history I guess, and she's all over history. Have another book to flesh out the stories further. The Tada books include memory/meditation verses. I'm hoping if we sing the hymn daily, each will last a week. We'll see.

-Patty Paper geometry and TT Algebra 1

-BJU Grammar 9. I finally decided to skip the writing. We're going to go for WWS instead, and there's too much overlap. The BJU 9 writing instruction was minimal and not structured enough for her. I'm planning to have her do only portions of the exercises, not all, and to diagram one or two sentences each time, like what we did in Shurley.

-Middle School Sentence Composing (Killgallon). This is two days a week and the BJU grammar two days a week the way I have it charted out. Seems reasonable.

-WWS. I have it on a slightly condensed plan to get it done in 26 weeks (if it stays all tidy). Then we'll start into WWS2 at a more normal pace. Hopefully it will be out in full print version by then.

-Excellence in Lit 1-In the spring I thought this was utterly undoable for her, but now it just looks like a pleasant stretch. We'll see. It overlaps well with the types of writing taught in WWS. Initially I thought I was going to have her do the work orally, but at this point I plan to have her write/type the work. Hopefully it will be fine. I was initially drawn to the context studies, and they're definitely amazing.

-BJU handwriting 6--We'll see how this goes.

-Young People's Story of Art/Sculpture/Architecture, Sister Wendy vidoes, and "At the Opera" by Frye. I wanted some diversity and exposure to the arts this year. I have a handbook coming for those books that supposedly will give more projects. I'm hoping we can make it pop a bit but haven't totally sorted that out.

-Muse magazine-outline and summarize articles. I don't make her write papers or summaries in history, so I'll get them in this way.

-BJU Physical Science and PH Concepts in Action--Just the labs. I have the Hewitt physical science text I may use with her for explanations, as it's the plainest thing I have in my stash. Mainly though I just have 36 weeks of labs planned out (with supplies bought, yay for the full first semester, yay!), about 3 labs a week. She retains well what she does, and the point is retention.

History is the oddity. I have this three week cycle planned where we take a culture (using the Time Life What Life Was Like books) and examine it from this history one week, geography second week, and do projects the third. That's my theory at least. It's her thing, so it is pretty open-ended and just whatever she wants to do with it. For the history week I have the usual stuff (BJU world history, Spielvogel, Kane, Stearns, Roberts, etc.) and some books on the religion(s) of that region. Output will be a timeline and either charts she makes for synthesis (compare/contrast, that sort of thing) or charts from TOG or the BJU workbook. For the geography week I have the BJU Geography text, a bunch of other resources, and missionary biographies. Output remains to be decided. I think she'll want to do some kind of scrapbook method, much like the state study notebook, but we'll see. I'll throw in the appropriate GB as we come to them (Hammurabi, Analects, etc.).

So essentially we're doing world history/GB but going at it regionally for a while to hit the regions that are oft-neglected. (Africa, Australia, Middle East, etc. etc.). Then we'll cycle back around to Europe, Greece, and all that.

I'd LIKE to do the Pilgrim's Progress study with her that I've been saving up, but I don't know if we'll do that now or later. We could do it now and piddle it out (one chapter a week using the AIG guide). Or we could do it next summer as part of an England study. Or we could save it for another year and do PP part 1, part 2, and go right on into the Holy War. I just found study guides for that http://www.mountcalvarybaptist.org/pages/ministries.aspx?fsId=3&itemId=9&returnUrl=ministries.aspx&catalogsrc=ministriesSundaySchool.desc.xml so I really don't know. I also want to do logic with her, and we just might not get to it all. If I do the Pilgrim's Progress study and sketching, I probably have to drop the logic. We already have the hymn study and she's reading commentaries on Revelation on her own, so we may have enough. But there's never enough Bible, right? :D

Add to that my own personal uncertainty of whether she's actually ready for Traditional Logic, which is what I was thinking to use with her...

So that's as far as I've gotten. Without logic and without the Pilgrim's Progress study, I'm at 3 1/2-4 hours a day of school work and 2 hours a day of reading. I'm calling reading things like Spielvogel, literature, that sort of thing. That's about where I wanted to be with her, and those times are pretty padded and generous I think. In reality she may be able to get it done in dramatically less if the toddler doesn't accost, haha.

Math: Lial Introductory Algebra

Science: Derek Owens Physical Science

History: K12 Human Odyssey

English: Lightning Literature 8

The Elegant Essay

Growing with Grammar 7

Winning with Writing 7

French: Vis-a-vis / Galore Park French 1

We have already started easing back into school, so our plan is now firm:

Sonlight Core 7/H (2nd half of World History)

Sonlight Science 150 (Apologia Physical Science)

Writing With Skill

Analytical Grammar

Rod & Staff Spelling

Wordly Wise

IEW's Poetry Memorization

Hey Andrew! Teach Me Some Greek

Getting Started With Latin

MathUSee Pre-Algebra

Life of Fred

The Thinking Toolbox, then The Art of Argument

Red Herrings

Violin lessons

8th has been finalized (hopefully since it's what I've ordered) and we start in three weeks. This is what the year shaped up to look like:

Math:

Prentice Hall Pre-Algebra w/monthly projects

English:

Warriner's Third Course/Daily Grams

VfCR A/ WW9

OM 9 Literature Novels/Poetry

Teaching the Classics/Figuratively Speaking

Write Source 8/ Thinking in Threes- We will be using these as guides because all of the OM has incredible amounts of writing.

Science:

OM Physical Science

History/Civics:

A History of US w/ blackline masters

OM Civics- Includes government, citizenship, life skills and current events

Latin/Spanish:

First Form Latin

SOS Secondary Spanish

Logic:

Art of Argument

We also have a BrainPop subscription and Netflix so we be using those throughout the year as well.

Here's the plan for dd12:

Definitely doing:

Apologia Physical Science

TT Alg 1 (may add Dolciani or Burger (Fuse Math on ipad) for chapter check-ups since I already have these)

Elementary Greek 3

Analytical Grammar season 3

VP Self-Paced 1815-Modern

violin, piano and horsemanship

Still planning some sort of literature rotation with:

Art of Poetry (love this), Movies as Literature (dd started this in 7th with Emma so we know we like it) and Excellence in Lit. I think we'll do 2 weeks, 2weeks, 4 weeks and tweak as necessary. I plan to spread these resources over the next two years.

Still up in the air:

WWS 2 beta or Lively Art of Writing w/Elements of Style or Debra Bell online Middle School Composition (1 semester) or some combo. I'd love for dd to have some outside accountability for writing and it may be a good trial run for an online course for high school.

Logic-I have AofA and TL (not jazzed about either one and probably won't have time anyway)

Considering trying Live Mocha for Spanish for 1 year (there's a Groupon right now) before doing a formal online class for high school; still trying to figure out how it works. Right now dd is halfway through Getting Started with Spanish and we have Rosetta Stone

Probably Wonderful Art of Drawing Horses

Carolyn

• 2 weeks later...

Math: Finish TT Pre-Algebra and onto Algebra.

Grammar: Rod & Staff Grammar though we may sub it out mid-year for Fix-It. I haven't seen Fix It yet...

Writing: Writing with Skill and Elegant Essay concurrently followed by Medieval Themed (IEW) after we finish up Elegant Essay.

Latin: Latina Christiana I

Music: Guitar

History & Lit: Selections from my daughter's compiled lists.

Logic: Finish up Art of Argument and then we'll see.

Church History & a lot of spelling, always spelling. :tongue_smilie: