Menu

Essentials in Writing, anyone use this?

So I asked about WWS, and I don't think this will work well with my upcoming 8th grader.

I did some research and saw Essentials in Writing. I like that there is DVD instruction, not expensive, and although the author states you do not need a seperate grammar program, I think I would still use something like Easy Grammar or Daily grams.

Any thoughts on this program?

So I asked about WWS, and I don't think this will work well with my upcoming 8th grader.

I did some research and saw Essentials in Writing. I like that there is DVD instruction, not expensive, and although the author states you do not need a seperate grammar program, I think I would still use something like Easy Grammar or Daily grams.

Any thoughts on this program?

I'm pretty sure we're going to use it next year... :) I'm going to supplement a grammar program -- just not sure which one yet.

That is what I am struggling with as well. What to use for Grammar.?

The author has emailed me several times, and I am definitely going to use this program next year.

But Grammar????((sigh))) Maybe continue with easy grammar, or maybe Daily Grams??

I have been using it this year with three of mine. I am using it with my 4th, 6th, and 8th graders(using 7th because 8th was not ready and he is a reluctant writer anyway). It is going well. I am using it along with Easy Grammar. My kids were lacking a bit in grammar and this is working great for us. The EG and Essentials actually go together great. We are almost on the same thing all the way through, so far. I only require one page of EG a day and it lines up great.

Because it is so new and because he seems to have made a lot of levels very quickly, I am seeing some mistakes along the way. A lot of them the kids catch too and it is kind of fun to correct the teacher. It is not overwhelming but there are some.

If you have had a lot of grammar I would not see a need for additional grammar but it really depends on what you have already covered and what they have retained. There is review the first few lessons. My oldest is just now getting into more of the actual writing (narration last week and persuasive writing this week) and we are on lesson 22 (I think). My 4th grader will be getting out of the grammar lessons around lesson 30. Everything up to that point was all about parts of speech, punctuation, etc.

I am liking it and plan to use it again next year.

Edited by mompotter