Menu

Working with Multiple Elementary, etc.

honeymommy4

If you have 2 or more in upper elementary, and you start them on a lesson, then switch off, to start the other one, where are they both working? Do they have clipboards, working on the couch, in separate rooms? I have one who gets so distracted. I am starting to wonder how this is going to play out in later years. We aren't there yet - my schoolies are only 2nd grade and K. but just wondering!

thanks!

I work with two of them together (the 10 yro and 9 yro). I don't start school with the younger ones until the older ones are finished with their work. I used to juggle them all...set up the older ones with something and move on the the younger ones...but they are all at a stage where they need teacher interaction. :glare:

I also have a 7 yro that will wander away, get out the Barbies, play with the dog, etc. She is distracted by everything - noises outside, even SMELLS (I kid you not. It is so bizarre.) So, she needs someone to work one-on-one with her and help her focus.

I did set up a study area upstairs, so the older kids can go up there and write. We also have a guest bedroom and we often go in there, shut the door and read together (in peace and quiet).

To be honest, some days are smooth and some are really rough! My 13 and 10 yr olds can distract each other again and again and again. There are some days that they just get to work, help each other and it makes homeschooling a pleasure. That's what helps me through!

Sorry I couldn't paint a perfect picture. Yours may not be like mine.

There's no such thing as a real quiet place in our house.

I often have one child at the dining room table and another at the living room coffee table, but it's an open floor plan. I tend to send them to their bedroom (separately) to read.

We have days when it goes smoothly, and plenty of days full of "She's looking at me!"