Menu

Isn't there interesting grammar?

My 7th grader is feeling tortured with grammar. She's in her second session of Analytical Grammar which is a great program. My oldest did AG and Latin. Her grammar is great so it's not a matter of not having confidence in the program. But my oldest also was fine with things that get the job done. My 7th grader wants to feel more passionate about her work. I really don't have a problem with telling her to suck it up and do it but since she isn't studying Latin I'll probably do more grammar with her than just finishing AG so I'd love to know if there are more interesting ways to study grammar. I did R&S with my oldest years ago and nearly jumped off a bridge with boredom plus its really not a different approach. Is there anything interesting, fun, unique?

Heather

On the other hand, you have AG and have used it previously, so there is no learning curve for you. If your daughter continues with AG, she will be finished with grammar next year, which opens a slot in the day for an elective. For high school, she can use the AG review books.

It is called Cozy Grammar. Here is the website: http://www.splashesfromtheriver.com/

This woman teaches the child to sit down by the fire and write grammar. She teaches in a relaxing way. I am seriously thinking about this for my younger son.

Look at the site and tell me what you think!

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

On the other hand, you have AG and have used it previously, so there is no learning curve for you. If your daughter continues with AG, she will be finished with grammar next year, which opens a slot in the day for an elective. For high school, she can use the AG review books.

This is why I'm leaning toward making her do the last unit. (she's done the previous two). Plus frankly it's the best grammar program I've seen as far as content and retention for this age. I just wish there was a way that grammar could be more interesting.

Heather

Bwahahaha!!! (evil maniacle laugh) KISS grammar (google, it's free) or Gene Moutoux's stuff. Can't get more fun than that till you jump into college level courses on it and start doing trees and things. :)

I'll look at KISS. Honestly I'm wondering if she can just be done after session 3. I had no problem deciding that L was done with formal grammar after that because she was getting so much through Latin but R will not be doing Latin as her high school language so I worry.

Oh and day two of Winston/Shurley for C was another HUGE success. She liked it so much she made up her own sentences after we were done with the 3 from Winston.

Heather

Well what language is she going to do? If she's doing an inflected language or one with a good chunk of grammar, she'll be fine.

Have you been doing the review books for AG? Are they not interesting enough?

It surprises me you're so slow to jump on KISS. If I had the right student, I'd jump in a heartbeat.

Winston Advanced doesn't include punctuation I don't think, so it's not helpful to you. But I love how the W/Sh combo is working out for C!!!! :)

Well what language is she going to do? If she's doing an inflected language or one with a good chunk of grammar, she'll be fine.

Have you been doing the review books for AG? Are they not interesting enough?

It surprises me you're so slow to jump on KISS. If I had the right student, I'd jump in a heartbeat.

Winston Advanced doesn't include punctuation I don't think, so it's not helpful to you. But I love how the W/Sh combo is working out for C!!!! :)

I'm going to look at KISS but I haven't figured out the website yet. The review books are ok but it's just more diagramming and sentence classifications. Let's face it - that's seriously dull.

She's going to do French. I wouldn't call it a grammar powerhouse - at least not like Latin. I think maybe I'm looking for something I don't need. It's not like she doesn't know her grammar.

Yea - W/Sh is going to be awesome for C. And the best part is how easy it is to take the Winston cards and use them anywhere - with any sentences. There is just something about hands-on that clicks for her. I have been trying to get her to see that just because a word can be a noun doesn't mean it's always a noun. Sometimes she could see that like when the word ring was used as a verb instead of a noun but it was really confusing to her when it was an adjective. But today she made up her own sentence 'The mother fox set out to find food.'. She looked and said 'mother isn't a noun here'. I nearly fell over. This is the first time she was able to see a potential noun sitting right next to an article wasn't actually a noun.

Well that's was way off the original topic :-).

Heather

Isn't that amazing! I know, there are things that *ought* to stump my dd, given her quirks, and with Shurley she handles them just fine! It just has a way of clarifying everything.

Yup, I think you're trying too hard. She may surprise you and start another language her junior year. I wouldn't fret it too much.

I haven't seen the books yet, but we are going to use The Adventures of Genius Boy and Grammar Girl and the Caught'ya! Grammar with a Giggle series.

I look forward to writing a review of this later. I am hoping it adds a little fun to this subject for my 7th grade son.

Thanks for these other ideas as well. I'm going to check them out.

And thanks for putting up with my sideline to OhElizabeth about my youngest daughter for whom I have been trying to find a good grammar fit. She recommended Shurley and Winston (I got both. We started the combination this week and it's been amazing.

Heather

I haven't seen the books yet, but we are going to use The Adventures of Genius Boy and Grammar Girl and the Caught'ya! Grammar with a Giggle series.

I haven't seen the middle school book, but I have the Caught'ya Grammar with a Giggle for high school called The Chortling Bard and I am using that with my upcoming 9th and 10th grader.

It is called Cozy Grammar. Here is the website: http://www.splashesfromtheriver.com/

This woman teaches the child to sit down by the fire and write grammar. She teaches in a relaxing way. I am seriously thinking about this for my younger son.

This looks very interesting - I went to the website and viewed the video...very calming...

Gonna research this one more.

About KISS - can I honestly say I.do.not.get.it. I looked at it (twice) and it really confused me. Probably because I strongly dislike grammar myself...

Look at the site and tell me what you think!

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

There used to be a bunch of free youtube videos from the cozy grammar. It doesn't tell you the order, but you could pick a topic and watch the video free. That was last year, so I don't know if it is still available.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cozy+grammar&oq=cozy+grammar&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=7181l12592l0l12767l22l22l5l3l3l0l51l543l14l14l0

• 2 months later...

Just had to jump in here because I was researching posts on different grammar programs. I have to thank whomever it was that suggested the Cozy Grammar. I looked at some of the Youtube videos and loved them. They are so drab but funny as the dickens too. This Ms. Rackham is great. For some reason it brings back memories of Uncle Smiley from when I was a kid in Elementary School in the Library watching his movies on the projector.

Now on to look at the other rec. from this post.

I'm sure many of the good programs listed above will have an element of fun to them. I think positive feelings about grammar come a little bit from positive attitude (as opposed to awesome curriculum). Many folks (and I don't know if you are among them) have a preconceived notion of grammar as dry and boring (kinda like math!). Then, unsurprisingly, grammar is dry and boring.

We don't have a rip roaring time at our house, but we do have fun trying to be "the grammar king of the world," as well as quietly poking fun at grammar mistakes we see out in the world. Grammar knowledge makes us feel very superior, lol. I also try to keep in mind a sentence is like a logic problem, and we have to figure out the puzzle of why you can't use certain structures because they mess with the logic of sentences.

It can be fun.

There is a book called Grammar-land that your daughter might enjoy. It covers grammar in a story fashion. It takes place in the courtroom of Judge Grammar and has characters like Mr. Noun, Dr. Verb, Serjeant Parsing, etc. It's available for free online. There are even some worksheets available online that coincide with the chapters of the book.