Menu

TMI: need help with supplements to help bowel movements...

TMI.ok. my 11 yr old is having some issues. she usually poops about 3 or 4 times a week and there usually hard stools. i want to get her pooping daily with better healthy ones. honestly though, im trying to get fruits and veggies in here and getting her to drink more water, but lets just face it... shes doing some (better than before) but i cant stay on top of an 11 yr old constantly and she just dislikes fruits, veggies and water! (VERY picky eater). what can i give her as a supplement to help regulate her?? i ve read up a bit and heard about psyhillium, but if shes not getting the intake of water, it wont help her.

any ideas??? thanks so much!:grouphug:

TMI.ok. my 11 yr old is having some issues. she usually poops about 3 or 4 times a week and there usually hard stools. i want to get her pooping daily with better healthy ones. honestly though, im trying to get fruits and veggies in here and getting her to drink more water, but lets just face it... shes doing some (better than before) but i cant stay on top of an 11 yr old constantly and she just dislikes fruits, veggies and water! (VERY picky eater). what can i give her as a supplement to help regulate her?? i ve read up a bit and heard about psyhillium, but if shes not getting the intake of water, it wont help her.

any ideas??? thanks so much!:grouphug:

I have IBS and probiotics and a flax based fiber make a huge difference in my life. It's also helped immensely with food sensitivities.

Fluids- how about fruit juice or watered fruit juice. Grape and water taste good. Avoid citrus/water mixes unless making lemonade. Does she like fizzy drinks? You could add fizzy waters to juice. Or make homemade ginger ale. It isn't difficult and ginger is good for digestion.

Fiber- you are right to be cautious adding fiber without the fluids. Can you do smoothies with yogurt and whole frozen fruit?

Fat- Fat is really helpful here. My niece's doctor had her taking olive oil to help with constipation. Just add more good fats to everything. I believe Alton Brown has a recipe for avocado based chocolate "ice cream" if dairy is a problem. Butter and cream are good. Pasture-raised meats and eggs too.

Forgot- I forgot exercise is also useful. Nothing strenuous, just a walk.

Sandra

The thing with psyllium is it can be very irritating; the thing with laxatives is they can disrupt peristalsis and cause dependency. Not that I wouldn't use those things if necessary, but I would consider them last resorts. You're on the right track with fruits, veggies, and water, of course. I second the suggestion to do probiotics. Get a good-quality brand and heavy them up! I would also try an oil supplement. Fish oils are great for omega-3s/EPA & DHA, but you can only do so much, volume-wise. I would try flax oil. Start slow and build up. Flax seed (ground) is great, but if she's not going to drink enough water, it might not have the desired results.

Does she eat a lot of cheese (other than cottage cheese)?

Turns out this was causing problems for some family members.

Today we made fiber brownies: Ghirardelli brownie mix with 3 T ground flax seed, 3T soluble fiber powder, 3T almond flour along with some coconut flakes. Turned out pretty good!

For my daughter eliminating dairy solved most of the problem. While we were dealing with the worst of it...

we used Miralax and a good probioitic (Vitacost) until she was clear.

After that it was a matter of finding out why she was constipated. Once we did that we haven't dealt with it.

This same daughter is now gf due to stomach aches.

You could try bowel retraining. About 20 minutes or so after a meal, have her go and sit on the potty, even she doesn't feel like she needs to go. Have her relax and try to go. Do it after every single meal or snack. Her body may get the idea that she needs to eliminate after a meal.

In the meantime, I find the Fiber One bars extremely helpful when I am having a slow day....

Hope she gets relief.

I haven't read all the other replies, but a small daily glass of OJ with a Tbsp or two of prune juice in it did wonders for my son when he went through something like this. The prune juice doesn't taste bad at all in the OJ.

If that won't work, you might try a probiotic.

Lisa

where are you in western pa?? :)

and how would you give the olive oil if it werent in a food for that day (like salad?)... :lurk5:

I'm in Fayette County.:001_smile:

Does she eat eggs? You can fry or scramble eggs in olive oil, use it in dipping sauces, and it's very easy to add to tomato-based sauces in pizza, spaghetti, etc.

In terms of food, besides the obvious prunes and dried fruits, I have found blueberries and sweet potatoes to be helpful, as well as any number of fibrous hot cereals. I don't know about any supplements besides Miralax, which I would recommend. It's available over the counter and in generic versions.

Lots of people don't poop daily.

I think another part of the concern is that when she goes, it's very hard.

A wee bit of miralax. Start with a very small dose and only work up to what is needed.

My 3 yr old started having bowel troubles when she potty trained (she was never "regular" and often with harder BMs...after potty training, she had a span of "going" 2x in a MONTH w/ pain!)

Anyway, the ped recommended Miralax. Said to give her 1/2 a dose each a.m. Also said that there are no side effects and that she can continue taking it as long as needed....even "forever" with no negative effects...

Anyway, she's been taking it about 8 months now and things are going...smoothly. :)

Nobody has mentioned vitamin c powder. I buy buffered vitamin c powder from kirkman labs. Each 1/4 tsp is 1100 mg of vitamin C. Put 1/4 tsp in any kind of juice. When I'm having difficulties, I will take 1/4 tsp 3-4x/day. You know it's too much when you get watery.

Vitamin C is nontoxic. Taking it as a powder is a lot cheaper than taking it as a chewable tablet.

My son takes senna (senna-lax is one brand name). Its natural and it helps the bowels retain more water to help move things along. You can find it at Target in the pharmacy section.

We find its more gentle than Miralax. No explosive incidents if you take just a tad too much.

This doesn't help her water problem though. I would buy some herbal tea and let her try out a bunch of flavors. Lemon water can also encourage people to drink. Having water in the fridge (cold). Explore some different ways of drinking water.

It is true that some people are more every-other-day folks. If she's comfortable and has her own schedule you can let it go. If she's uncomfortable she needs to listen to her body and find a new way to make things work well.

First of all, there is no reason that she needs to go every day. I don't mean to sound rude but I don't even understand why you would be discussing her bowels habits unless she is having pain or discomfort or something. Focusing on them when they are not a problem could causes problems. However, if she is suffering from constipation a good natural treatment is magnesium citrate. I would also add a probiotic and definitely try to increase water consumption. Plenty of fruits and vegetables are a great idea but I wouldn't purposely increase fiber and a decrease in dairy is also a good idea.