Menu

memory work for a child who has been lying ...

I'm trying to find a useful quote on honesty for Button, who is really struggling with telling the truth right now; and he's also been, on a couple of occasions, very mean to his little brother this week. Their grandfather, who lives with us, is quite sick and in the hospital and I think these behaviors are related; I'm trying to provide a supportive, and firm, response.

We are secular, and he'll be confused by quotes about what God wants him to do, but Bible quotes generally are certainly most welcome.

Ideas? all the ones I found offhand seemed either too flippant, or too wordy to really be effective for a 6-year-old boy.

:bigear:

How about:

Honesty is the best policy - when there is money in it. ~ Mark Twain

Um...no? Well, what about:

Honesty is for the most part less profitable than dishonesty. ~ Plato

Yeah...not feeling that either. :D

Seriously, though....here are some with potential (non-religious):

Honesty is the best policy. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom. ~Thomas Jefferson

No legacy is so rich as honesty. ~William Shakespeare

Truth is such a rare thing, it is delightful to tell it. ~Emily Dickinson

With lies you may get ahead in the world - but you can never go back. ~Russian proverb

No man has a good enough memory to make a successful liar. ~Abraham Lincoln

See if you can get a copy of the Book of Virtues, it has stories and poems to teach kids things like being truthful, once, amd having good manners. I cant think of one off the top of my head right now. But it is full of great stuff.

This isn't a quote, but I have one child who struggles with honesty.

My approach has been to explain that if I can't trust her, I have to watch her all the time. Sadly, that means she can't go play in the playroom, be in dance class, etc. She has to stay RIGHT BESIDE me anytime she is awake. I don't make it unpleasant for her while she is with me. She just has to stay there, and it's not nearly as fun as being free to do whatever.

I usually institute this for 48 hours. Longer if there has been a recent episode.

Also, lying & disrespect are the two things that earn a spanking in my house. The only two things. My kids know that those two things are the ones that really matter. When kids lie in my house, it's usually an attempt to avoid getting in trouble, so I make sure they understand that if they had just told the truth, they would have gotten one punishment, but now they are getting one for the naughtiness, plus another for lying. Then we go through the whole "would you rather have one punishment or two? One? So you would have been better off telling me the truth and only getting one rather than lying and getting two?"

We had very good luck with Berenstain Bear books for making points about behavior. Then my dd had something to reference in her mind when I said the catch phrase. For lying, the story title is: http://www.amazon.com/Berenstain-Bears-Truth-Stan/dp/0394856406 We have the video as well.

2 sayings that we used out of the story..

No matter how hard you hope,

No matter how hard you try

You can't make truth

Out of a lie.

and

You can't put trust together again once it's broken. (or similar)

Edited by tomandlorih
to put in words I missed typing!