Menu

Northern Ohio

There are a few people from central OH and you may want to track down OHElizabeth for more info regarding that specific location.

I'm originally from OH, but have not h'schooled there. My cousin h'schools in OH and the laws are easy.

HTH! Sheryl

cost of living - that's relative. However, it would be cheaper compared to CA.

bugs - some

weather - beautiful. Snow in winter, beautiful fall and spring and lovely cooler summers compared to NC! Yes, there can be tornadoes, but we have them here in NC too and we are only 4 hours inland from the coast where hurricanes land.

Edited by sheryl

My in-laws are in Cleveland. I've been there when there was snow on the ground at Easter and snow on the ground at Thanksgiving. My DH remembers trick-or-treating in the snow.

The weather is one of the big reasons we don't live there.

I need to know about Central Northern Ohio.

Weather?

Acts of nature (tornado?)

Bugs?

Things to do?

Cost of living (groceries, gas, etc)?

Homeschooling laws?

Would this complete shock from CA native, NW living person?

Thanks!

I'm in the Cleveland area, and have lived in Ohio most of my life. The weather is generally awful in winter. Cold and snow nonstop, although this year we've had quite a reprieve.

Bugs? Depends if you live in the country or the city. Mosquitos can be a pain in the summer. Roaches are not huge like down south.

Lots to do in the metropolitan areas- Cleveland, Toledo, Columbus. Not so much in the rural areas. I can send you links if you tell me the area you'll be in.

OHEN has all the info on homeschooling in Ohio with links to the Ohio Code and a notification form with everything you need to know. This is our second year homeschooling and I haven't found it burdensome to do the notification or assessment.

I think the rural and metropolitan areas of Ohio are very different from each other. It would probably be a little bit of a shock. Really depends on where in Ohio you'll be going.

ETA: Forgot about cost of living. Groceries seem to continually go up in price, but probably the average cost of living is going to be less than in California. Also drastically depends on where you will be. The last time I bought gas it was $3.69.

Yes, there is a lot to do in Cleveland. The zoo is nice. They have a great park system. Nice museums. Lots of fun.

Cleveland has a huge deer problem. The deer aren't afraid of dogs, people, nothing and they eat EVERYTHING. My MIL had to spend big money on a deer-proof fence for her garden and it it right off the back of their house.

Our winter here was fairly mild. We are not in the snow belt, but close.

The last tornado that passed through was September, I believe. There was a fair amount of damage, however it did not hit the main part of town.

Bugs really are not a problem. The mosquito population can be heavier in some localized areas.

There are places close to hike and camp. There is an array of activities in the area. What are you looking for and more specifically what towns are you considering?

Homeschooling laws are easy to navigate. This is my eighth year and I have had no problems.

As far as groceries are concerned and cost of living:

food prices are rising

Gas is up

However, coming from CA you will probably view the overall cost of

living as lower.

Thanks everyone!

My Dh is being considered for a job in Fremont. It is in Sandusky County.

Growing up in CA, I saw snow a handful of times. I did live a year in Ukraine, lots of snow but very "rustic" style of living, so I doubt it's comparable. Here, in Oregon, we get light snow once or twice a year, but we are not prepared for it. Rain- yes, snow not so much.

So, I don't know "how" to live in snow.

The job sounds like a great fit, it's a church position, so we would have a great way to meet lots of new people and hopefully build connections. But I want to make sure I can live in Ohio, before we commit.

Used to earthquakes but tornadoes scare me.

Grew up in NE OH.

One sweet family I knew moved to OH from Colorado. They kept a quotation on their fridge--"Sun? In Ohio?" :D

LOTS of cloudy days.

But the people are pretty nice.

My dfs in college were from farm country in N. Central OH. Nicer people you'll never, ever meet. (I went to OSU.)

I lived close to Cleveland for 2 years. Snowy winters! Mild summers.

The winters are pretty bad, but the road crews keep the roads very clear so life just goes on when it snows and snows and snows. (as opposed to other states where 1/2 inch of snow closes down the town:001_huh::tongue_smilie:) The bad part is shoveling your own driveway/sidewalk. Get a snowblower.

Cleveland has a lot of great stuff. The zoo, the Children's Museum for the 3-7yo crowd, the Childrens Science Museum, the Farmpark ...these are all wonderful! Cleveland is also high-crime in areas, so be certain of your driving directions before getting in the car. (GPS took us into some scary neighborhoods!)

As everyone mentioned - the snow! My family never believes me that winters here in Colorado are much milder than Ohio.

Do you have pets? Animals get fleas in Ohio, definitely something I do not miss.

The things I miss:

- lightning bugs in the summer

- green grass, green trees, green, green, green

- broad tree leaves that rustle in the wind

- thunderstorms and rain

- the ease of growing a garden and lawn

- the beautiful colors in autumn

Good luck with your family's decision about the new job.

SJ

So, the consensus is lots of snow! :eek:

I think I could handle the snow better if it was sunny. But someone mentioned, very cloudy/little sun. Worse than here in Oregon? Some days I feel like I'll go insane from lack of sun.

And fleas, ick, I loathe fleas.

Fireflies would be neat. Nice people are good:001_smile: Growing a garden is a plus.

He's applied to multiple jobs, and he's gotten lots of interest. We'll just have to see where the Lord wants us. But if it's in the land of snow, I'm sure I'll have more questions!

Thanks for all the replies.

Edited by indigomama

Sadly, Northern Ohio is one of the cloudiest areas in the country.

:iagree: Yep. But when we do get gorgeous, sunny days, we appreciate them so much more!

Fremont is not far from where one of my good friends lives in Tiffin. I've eaten at a yummy Mexican restaurant in Fremont a couple of times when visiting said friend. I'll ask him if it's still there and what it's called. The area around Fremont is pretty flat and rural. They do get more tornadoes out that way than we do in Cleveland. You can easily do day trips into Cleveland, Columbus and Toledo from there. Also, Dayton has some interesting things to do- a little farther, but still doable. Fremont is close to Lake Erie, and there are fun summer activities to do all along the lake shore. Also very close to Cedar Point.

So, how often is it sunny then?

Living here in Oregon, I really miss the sun, wondering how Ohio would be for me.

I've gone a long, long time in November with maybe 1 or 2 sunny days...

August tends to be changeable, too--I remember coming back from 2 weeks at the beach in NC to rainy, season-changing yuck.

OTOH, the summers, iirc, are ok.

Being from Ohio I never realized that the NW part of the state was cloudy most of the year. :confused: Of course I'm not from that part so I really wouldn't know. Where we live it's usually cloudy in the winter, although some days there are inches of snow on the ground, 10 degrees out and the sun is shining likes it's summer! Talk about throwing people off who aren't used to it!

Being that close to the lake erie you will probably gete a lot of snow during winter. This winter has been very mild, my dc have been dissappointed that there's been more days without snow than with. You really know you are a native, when, as a child, you prefer to play outside in the winter when it's zero degrees and there's tons of snow, than in the squelching heat of summer!

So, snow, yes there is usually a lot of it but they are pretty good about keeping the roads clear, ever hear of team plowing? That's when you stagger 5 snow plows on the interstate, it's an amazing site! Sun, where I'm at I get plently of it in the spring, summer and fall. The sun is usually shining all summer long. And I don't know how people think the summers here are mild, it can get pretty hot and humid. 90-100 is pretty common during the summer, and add humidity on top of that and it's not so mild. ;) The fall, and spring are just beautiful.

Found this for you.

Here's Oregon, so it's fairly comparable as far as sunny days.

Thank you for the links!! It is about the same as Portland. That was very helpful.

think of it this way- even though tornadoes can be scary, at least you'll usually know when they're coming. ;)

True..but still not comforting somehow:tongue_smilie:

Being from Ohio I never realized that the NW part of the state was cloudy most of the year. :confused: Of course I'm not from that part so I really wouldn't know. Where we live it's usually cloudy in the winter, although some days there are inches of snow on the ground, 10 degrees out and the sun is shining likes it's summer! Talk about throwing people off who aren't used to it!

Being that close to the lake erie you will probably gete a lot of snow during winter. This winter has been very mild, my dc have been dissappointed that there's been more days without snow than with. You really know you are a native, when, as a child, you prefer to play outside in the winter when it's zero degrees and there's tons of snow, than in the squelching heat of summer!

So, snow, yes there is usually a lot of it but they are pretty good about keeping the roads clear, ever hear of team plowing? That's when you stagger 5 snow plows on the interstate, it's an amazing site! Sun, where I'm at I get plently of it in the spring, summer and fall. The sun is usually shining all summer long. And I don't know how people think the summers here are mild, it can get pretty hot and humid. 90-100 is pretty common during the summer, and add humidity on top of that and it's not so mild. ;) The fall, and spring are just beautiful.

Thank you, that was helpful info. I figure my kids will get used to snow much quicker than DH and I. I wouldn't know what to buy(kinds of clothing, equipment, preparing property for it, etc.) Is there a "Snow for Dummies" book?:D

:lol:"Snow for Dummies" :lol: ;)

As for winter gear they would need insulated, waterproof, boots and gloves, snow pants, a heavy winter coat, hat, and scarve. I would also get them, and you and dh ;), thermal underwear.

Stores now how all of there winter gear on clearence since the season is almost over. Great tim to buy for next winter!

Link to snow pants

Snowwear at sears.

You'll definitely need one of these for your little one.

There is nothing you can do to prepare your yard, it's already made for the cold weather. ;) You'll need a good snow shovel, or snow blower, and lots of salt for your driveway and sidewalk.

HTH!