Menu

renew a favorite book or return on due date?

How do you handle picture books that come home from the library that quickly turn into the family favorite? We have one book in particular that has come home and we've read it almost every day since. I'm not tired of it and the kids still get a giggle out of it (The Gruffalo, if you must know the title lol) Usually picture books come and go before their due dates, but we're nearing the end of four weeks and I'm facing the idea of returning it or renewing for another 4 weeks. DH says we should return it and take it out later. I want to renew it.

It is on our amazon wish list and because it is a favorite will be budgeted to purchase at some point, but probably not until summer when we recover from the intial investing we did in our homeschooling this winter.

We renew books all the time. I usually won't buy a book that is a favorite from the library, though. We just return it and take it out again at another time. The kids know that the book will always be there and returning it gives me a break from reading the same story again and again...and it also forces them to be open to other stories in the mean time.

Why would you NOT renew? That is why they invented renewing books (says the wife of a librarian). If someone else has put a hold on the book you won't be allowed to renew. But, if no one else wants it, what would be the problem with renewing?

Then, look into getting your own copy. That is one of the joys of libraries, they let us find those beloved books.

Why would you NOT renew? That is why they invented renewing books (says the wife of a librarian). If someone else has put a hold on the book you won't be allowed to renew. But, if no one else wants it, what would be the problem with renewing?

Then, look into getting your own copy. That is one of the joys of libraries, they let us find those beloved books.

:iagree:

how have I not seen ABEBOOKS before!!??

Me either! Wow! :)

how have I not seen ABEBOOKS before!!??

If you have not seen AbeBooks (which I love!!!) you also might want to check out bookfinder.com. It checks a whole bunch of websites (Amazon, Abebooks, Half.com, etc.) and shows you the cheapest price! It is so handy!