Menu

buying in bulk

If you order food in bulk, what company do you use? What products have you ordered? Is it organic? How/where do you store it?

I buy grains from our local health food store. I usually purchase oats, flour, rice, etc. I store them in the original bag inside Rubbermaid totes and pull out enough to fill my canisters/jars as needed.

Meat is purchased from a local organic farmer. We can store half a beef critter and half a pig in our chest freezer.

If you live in the West, Azure Standard is a good option for ordering in bulk.

http://www.azurestandard.com/

They deliver for free to local drop-off locations. And they do sell organic.

I'm not sure how long you want to store your items. If it's for long-term storage, I use mylar bags with oxygen absorbers, and then keep them in 5 gallon buckets (free from my local grocery store bakery).

I keep things in the freezer, for the pantry I put them in mason jars or glass milk jugs. I got pantry moths ONCE and I will NEVER go through that again! I am very cautious about how things are stored now. :lol:

I like Azure or the local Frontier co-op.

:scared:.

Azure Standard is delivering out my way finally so I get to order through them! I love it so far. I used to order some things through bulkfoods.com and go to a restaurant supply store in town and I'd drive about 1.5 hours to get my wheat. I'm so glad I can buy it all through Azure now, it's much easier.

I keep all of our bulk grains in the deep freezer. We, too, had pantry moths once. YUCK! And what a waste, I had to throw out so much food :(