Menu

A much closer relationship and a much more flexible schedule.

Those are two of the benefits here too. I love knowing what my daughter is doing and sharing in her day. I've also loved watching her progress as a person, not just a student. It's great to see her "come together" as a person and to learn what she thinks and is passionate about. I remember how little time we had together when she was in school, and that was Kindergarten!

The flexibility has been great! She would have had to miss out on some opportunities simply because they happen during the normal school day. We've spent time in public high school offices, while waiting for ACT and other standardized testing, and watched the interaction of the staff with the students arriving late or bringing in letters explaining their absence. At one school, the "attendance police" were brutal. Not only were the students never believed, some weren't even able to attend school that day because they were late. Then there was a student who arrived with his mother. She tried to explain that his being late was with her full permission - I forget the reason. The person on staff said that she had no right to do that and she knows the rules! Total lack of respect for the authority of the parent IMO. I like being the one to say when and for what reason we can put "regular" school on the back burner. Often it's in order to take advantage of a wonderful opportunity which wouldn't be available at a different time.

Thank you for sharing how your family has benefited Creekland. :)

Absolutely these two!! Creekland nailed it!

My kids live 3000 miles away from us now, but we're still close. My daughter pretty much tells me anything and everything, and most of the time I love that! My kids also live only a couple of miles apart from one another and are still a part of each other's lives. I couldn't ask for a bigger gift than that they still like each other and value spending time together!!

Flexibility was one of the key reasons we homeschooled. For us (& it differs in each family:D), not outsourcing too much gave my kids a nice chunk of free time in their lives. I read an essay by Laura Berquist when I first started homeschooling that really stuck with me. She spoke of the spiritual and personal rewards of down time in a high school student's schedule. So we made sure that our kids always had that margin of free time to fill in themselves (not screen time, though!!). The real benefits of homeschooling didn't come from the endless AP classes, etc, but from the ideas and hobbies they generated during that free time.

[i could go on and on about this, but I've got to run to a friend's funeral.:001_huh: this is what I hate about getting older - now it's my generation. His widow has asked me to be the hospitality minister at church this morning. This is so very hard for me. Everything we do in homeschooling is minor compared to real life issues]

Being together so much requires we find ways to work out differences and get along.

We talk about everything!

We enjoy each other's company.

Freedom to be who we really are...

Specific to the kids...they have not had to worry about drugs, bullying, peer pressure or conformity...all these things are huge issues in the schools in our area even though our district touts excellence.

My kids were all in school before we decided to homeschool. We've been on both sides of the educational coin. We much prefer the homeschool side. ;)

Homeschooling her senior year has given DD18 time to concentrate on her music - which is paying off with scholarships to study music in college. She has also had time to hve a part-time job and put some $$$ away for college expenses.

Absolutely these two!! Creekland nailed it!

My kids live 3000 miles away from us now, but we're still close. My daughter pretty much tells me anything and everything, and most of the time I love that! My kids also live only a couple of miles apart from one another and are still a part of each other's lives. I couldn't ask for a bigger gift than that they still like each other and value spending time together!!

:lol: at the bolded. :)

Flexibility was one of the key reasons we homeschooled. For us (& it differs in each family:D), not outsourcing too much gave my kids a nice chunk of free time in their lives. I read an essay by Laura Berquist when I first started homeschooling that really stuck with me. She spoke of the spiritual and personal rewards of down time in a high school student's schedule. So we made sure that our kids always had that margin of free time to fill in themselves (not screen time, though!!). The real benefits of homeschooling didn't come from the endless AP classes, etc, but from the ideas and hobbies they generated during that free time.

Thank you for the reminder of what was so precious to us before high school started, and we seem to have lost lately. That downtime to pursue their own interests is invaluable. I will be looking for ways to add this back into next year's schedule - as in lighten the academic schedule a bit. :tongue_smilie: Not enough time for creative writing and other pursuits right now. I think that we can give them downtime even with outsourcing, but we may have to "schedule" that "unscheduled" time to make sure they get enough.

[i could go on and on about this, but I've got to run to a friend's funeral.:001_huh: this is what I hate about getting older - now it's my generation. His widow has asked me to be the hospitality minister at church this morning. This is so very hard for me. Everything we do in homeschooling is minor compared to real life issues]

I'm so sorry. Yes, things like this help us to keep things in perspective. :grouphug:

Being together so much requires we find ways to work out differences and get along.

We talk about everything!

We enjoy each other's company.

Freedom to be who we really are...

Specific to the kids...they have not had to worry about drugs, bullying, peer pressure or conformity...all these things are huge issues in the schools in our area even though our district touts excellence.

My kids were all in school before we decided to homeschool. We've been on both sides of the educational coin. We much prefer the homeschool side. ;)

Yes this freedom is huge!!! Too often I see cookie cutter kids, but the homeschooling really gives them the freedom to march to the beat of their own drum. They, generally, don't have someone telling them that what they're doing isn't cool or "forcing" them to conform. The freedom from the other negative influences is a definite positive - and not a small one at that.

No time spent on busy work! All school time is spent directly on academic work. So, much more is accomplished in less time = more free time to pursue own interests.

Freedom of curriculum. We learn different things, read different books, do different assignments than the public school.

Absence of negative peer pressure and bullying.

My DD was bullied while she was in school, because she wanted to learn and cared for good grades. She had kids tell her to the face "Dumb down a bit, you make us look stupid!" When she encounters kids she knows from school now in town, they still talk about her as being a "freak", a "crazy smart freak who does not need friends" etc. NOT the environment I need for my kids.

The opportunity to participate in university classes and activities during school hours. Older students are a much better fit for my DD.

No time spent on busy work! All school time is spent directly on academic work. So, much more is accomplished in less time = more free time to pursue own interests.

Freedom of curriculum. We learn different things, read different books, do different assignments than the public school.

Absence of negative peer pressure and bullying.

My DD was bullied while she was in school, because she wanted to learn and cared for good grades. She had kids tell her to the face "Dumb down a bit, you make us look stupid!" When she encounters kids she knows from school now in town, they still talk about her as being a "freak", a "crazy smart freak who does not need friends" etc. NOT the environment I need for my kids.

The opportunity to participate in university classes and activities during school hours. Older students are a much better fit for my DD.

I'm so sorry your daughter went through that and is still encountering that nonsense. Probably some, or most, of it is jealousy in an even uglier disguise. It's great that she's homeschooled and not subjected to that negative garbage every day.

Yes, the opportunities available make all the difference here too. :)

Time.

That was and is the greatest gift.

Time.

Time and all of the good things that come of using it well – strong relationships; enlivened selfhoods; a deep, wide shared history.

In the one year, three months, and sixteen days since… I have often thought…

All of that time, we had. Not enough, no. Not enough. But, oh! So. Much. More. than we would have had had we chosen a more traditional path.

Time.

Edited by Mental multivitamin

Time.

Time.

Time and all of the good things that come of using it well Ă¢â‚¬â€œ strong relationships; enlivened selfhoods; a deep, wide shared history.

In the one year, three months, and sixteen days ago sinceĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ I have often thoughtĂ¢â‚¬Â¦

All of that time, we had. Not enough, no. Not enough. But, oh! So. Much. More. than we would have had had we chosen a more traditional path.

Time.

Yes it is. :grouphug:

A biggie for us is the less wasted time. That has translated into being able to delve into subjects into more depth and also to branch out into activities that a pser would not be able to do. For example: my dd was just voted onto the fire department last night. Technically, she had to have graduated high school to be eligible, but the department decided to waive that because of her 27 college credits. She's coming out of high school as a First Responder, Lifeguard and Firefighter I. Her older sister was a certified Swift Water Rescue Technician. Technically, she had to have graduated, but again, was allowed in the class because of her (then) 30+ credits.

#2dd had the chance to get her private pilot's license before she graduated high school. That helped get her into USNA, into flight school and allowed her skip one entire part of it, moving her Winging up 6 months. By having a more flexible schedule, she was able to take a Master Gardener class.

All of my girls are/were able to take piano from the head of the music department at the college--she only teaches during the day. I'd rather have my kids taking from a woman with a PhD than just a nice mom with no training. Ds was able to take trumpet at the college during the day.

My children have all been able to work throughout highschool: some at the library and four, so far, at the college pool. My youngest isn't in high school, but has already taught at the college pool. My oldest ran a show stable for years--riding an entire string of horses, training, managing, etc. This allowed her to show nationally.

I was visiting with middle dd last night and we were talking about college. I pointed out that going away to college is a good thing, as it allows those who were bullied in high school to have a fresh start. She responded by saying, yeah, but that hasn't been a problem for her--she doesn't care much what others think and she's able to stand up for herself. She agreed though, that she has a lot of friends whose lives have been miserable this past year and that's why all of them can't wait to get out of this small town. She's been grateful to sidestep all that...

Awesome opportunities!!!

That's my goal for my dd to get to the point where she doesn't care what others think and she can stand up for herself. Did you do anything special to foster that? I know that being out of the school environment helps a lot, but I want to do more - any thoughts? (Hope no one minds the rabbit trail!) :) I think I'll start a new thread - if you don't mind looking out for it Margaret as I'd love your input! Thanks!!!

Flexibility to seize the day. Last fall ds 17 was able to fly across county, all expenses paid, to campaign for 10 days in Oct. This was after being gone for 2 weeks in September for 2 camps: Back to D.C. and Challenge. He's a bit "behind" on math and science for the year, but we have a clear plan about how to finish before the next round of camps begins and the next round of classes start.

Flexibility to work around life as it happens without sacrificing grades- we were burned out of our house and in a hotel, 4 days later my sister died and were out of state for 9 days for travel, funeral, we lived in a hotel for a month when we got back from the fire, moved to a temp house after that, inventoried and sorted and worked on the re-build since, moved back to our house, etc.. If he had been in b & m school, there is NO way he would have been able to keep up with his school work and get decent grades.

And, again, time to process, grieve, and be together through all of the joys, uncertainties and demands of life.

And, not sure how to word this, but my kids have been true friends through a tough season. I will be forever grateful for the love and tender hearted mercy they have shown me. Would they be the same if they'd gone to school? Would they have such a sense of compassion?

MMV-:grouphug:

Edited by laughing lioness

A much closer relationship ....

This.

Also, the opportunity to pursue subjects that are not available at our local high school such as Latin and Geology (which are now my college student's major and minor).

Regards,

Kareni

Similar to other posters! Homeschooling high school has been wonderful:

- close family relationships -- we really do like spending time together!

- time to do some things together -- special trips, home projects, volunteering together, just sitting up nights talking

- ability to read, discuss, learn together

- ability to adjust schedules as needed

- ability to tailor the coursework and time frame to fit DS with LDs -- allowing him to succeed, rather than "fall through the cracks" at a school

- much-needed "down time" for DSs to just putter, think, discover their interests

- ability to be involved in some time-consuming extracurriculars

- allowed late-blooming DSs to mature in their own time frame and become real leaders; they would never have taken on the leadership activities they have if we had been forced onto someone else's hectic schedule

- ability to do dual enrollment and graduate from high school with some college credits and college experience -- would not have had the time or energy to do so if they had been at a school

It really has been wonderful to "reap and enjoy the fruit" in high school from all the seeds planted and labor invested in those early years of homeschooling! :) Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Extra-academic benefits our family has experienced from homeschooling:

1. Far less unproductive stress than when Dd was in school

2. More freedom to "be" and "do"

3. Greater enthusiasm and motivation

4. Far better health

5. Time to build consistent and enriching relations with grandparent, friends and others

6. Time to develop talents/skills

7. Freedom to try new things and flourish or fail and do so in a supporting environment where both are acknowledged as opportunities

8. Creativity

9. Better understanding of the larger community and the needs and benefits therein

10. Time together and with others not restricted to evenings, weekends and summers

11. Appropriately warm or cold unrushed lunches

12. Time outdoors

13. For Dd greater confidence based on earned and learned experience

14. For parents a far more respected role in upbringing and education of our child

I could go on and on.

Having older siblings be really close w/ much younger siblings. I am closer in age to my oldest sister (only a 14 yr difference), but I have no memories of her from my childhood. I am so thankful that my older kids have really been able to be part of their younger siblings lives.

And....this is educational in some respects. Our 10th grader is definitely 2E. Homeschooling protected him from ever thinking he was dumb. He had no clue that his learning to read was slow and not normal. He didn't actual realize it until he overheard me having a conversation w/another adult when he was in something like 6th or 8th grade. After she left, he asked me in disbelief if he had really been below grade level in reading throughout most of elementary school. Now he is across the board the strongest 10th grader I have had and very confident in his abilities. Would he have believed in himself if had been in a school where he would have been "slow?"

Flexibility to seize the day. Last fall ds 17 was able to fly across county, all expenses paid, to campaign for 10 days in Oct. This was after being gone for 2 weeks in September for 2 camps: Back to D.C. and Challenge. He's a bit "behind" on math and science for the year, but we have a clear plan about how to finish before the next round of camps begins and the next round of classes start.

Flexibility to work around life as it happens without sacrificing grades- we were burned out of our house and in a hotel, 4 days later my sister died and were out of state for 9 days for travel, funeral, we lived in a hotel for a month when we got back from the fire, moved to a temp house after that, inventoried and sorted and worked on the re-build since, moved back to our house, etc.. If he had been in b & m school, there is NO way he would have been able to keep up with his school work and get decent grades.

And, again, time to process, grieve, and be together through all of the joys, uncertainties and demands of life.

And, not sure how to word this, but my kids have been true friends through a tough season. I will be forever grateful for the love and tender hearted mercy they have shown me. Would they be the same if they'd gone to school? Would they have such a sense of compassion?

MMV-:grouphug:

What great opportunities for your son!

I can't imagine how people manage who have children in b & m schools which demand regular attendance. Being together as a family during difficult times is a definite plus with homeschooling. Your family has certainly had its share of difficult times - I hope that these next years are easier for all.

In all the homeschooling families we've met, we see a common thread. The kids relate to their brothers and sisters so much differently than most b&m school children do. Of course they have their squabbles and all, but they just seem to look out for each other and the older ones help the younger ones. In other families it's not uncommon to hear the older ones complaining about the younger ones tagging along all the time - it sounds like more of a nuisance. Your family is truly blessed.

Similar to other posters! Homeschooling high school has been wonderful:

- close family relationships -- we really do like spending time together!

- time to do some things together -- special trips, home projects, volunteering together, just sitting up nights talking

- ability to read, discuss, learn together

- ability to adjust schedules as needed

- ability to tailor the coursework and time frame to fit DS with LDs -- allowing him to succeed, rather than "fall through the cracks" at a school

- much-needed "down time" for DSs to just putter, think, discover their interests

- ability to be involved in some time-consuming extracurriculars

- allowed late-blooming DSs to mature in their own time frame and become real leaders; they would never have taken on the leadership activities they have if we had been forced onto someone else's hectic schedule

- ability to do dual enrollment and graduate from high school with some college credits and college experience -- would not have had the time or energy to do so if they had been at a school

It really has been wonderful to "reap and enjoy the fruit" in high school from all the seeds planted and labor invested in those early years of homeschooling! :) Warmly, Lori D.

Lori I love reading all your posts. You are always so generous in sharing with us what you've learned in homeschooling your own family. Your love of homeschooling and all it offers shines through in all you've written. :)

Yes it's freeing, and yes it is wonderful!!!

Extra-academic benefits our family has experienced from homeschooling:

1. Far less unproductive stress than when Dd was in school

2. More freedom to "be" and "do"

3. Greater enthusiasm and motivation

4. Far better health

5. Time to build consistent and enriching relations with grandparent, friends and others

6. Time to develop talents/skills

7. Freedom to try new things and flourish or fail and do so in a supporting environment where both are acknowledged as opportunities

8. Creativity

9. Better understanding of the larger community and the needs and benefits therein

10. Time together and with others not restricted to evenings, weekends and summers

11. Appropriately warm or cold unrushed lunches

12. Time outdoors

13. For Dd greater confidence based on earned and learned experience

14. For parents a far more respected role in upbringing and education of our child

I could go on and on.

Awesome list!!!

Having older siblings be really close w/ much younger siblings. I am closer in age to my oldest sister (only a 14 yr difference), but I have no memories of her from my childhood. I am so thankful that my older kids have really been able to be part of their younger siblings lives.

And....this is educational in some respects. Our 10th grader is definitely 2E. Homeschooling protected him from ever thinking he was dumb. He had no clue that his learning to read was slow and not normal. He didn't actual realize it until he overheard me having a conversation w/another adult when he was in something like 6th or 8th grade. After she left, he asked me in disbelief if he had really been below grade level in reading throughout most of elementary school. Now he is across the board the strongest 10th grader I have had and very confident in his abilities. Would he have believed in himself if had been in a school where he would have been "slow?"

No, probably not. With all the focus on the standardized test results in schools, he would definitely have known that he wasn't meeting their expectations. In some states, he would have had mandatory summer school. What a difference homeschooling made for him - awesome!!! :)

I would say developing a clear worldview is a big thing in our homeschool. Also the relationship between my three boys is awesome.

Yes, it's great that each of our children can be taught our own values and beliefs - that's something that even private schools can't really do as each family is different.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts. My DD said to me a few weeks back:

"Mom, thanks for stepping up to homeschool me. I didn't realize how down on myself I was in public school. I became very self-conscious because of what people said to me. I've had a chance to rebuild my self esteem since being home.":001_huh:

That statement made it all worth it. My kid has regained her confidence and self-esteem.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts. My DD said to me a few weeks back:

"Mom, thanks for stepping up to homeschool me. I didn't realize how down on myself I was in public school. I became very self-conscious because of what people said to me. I've had a chance to rebuild my self esteem since being home.":001_huh:

That statement made it all worth it. My kid has regained her confidence and self-esteem.

Without a doubt!

That's why I encourage anyone who has a child who wants out of school, due to social issues, to get them out ASAP. We often don't hear about what they went through, and how much it affected them, until months or years later.

what are the benefits your family has experienced from homeschooling high school? How has it enriched your children's lives and your life as well?

I don't think I have anything different to add, but it certainly is a topic close to my heart as my youngest gets ready to head off to college next fall.

Time. Yes indeedy. Time to pursue interests in depth. My oldest started volunteering with the church tech department when he was 13, and by the time he was a senior he was being hired to do lighting designs for community theater productions. He is studying technical theater and show production in college now.

Time to be together as a family, even though that togetherness most often these days comes while driving to and from community college classes and work. I get to listen to my youngest jabber on about how cool calculus is.

Time to do absolutely nothing.

Time to drop everything on a whim and go out to lunch and the zoo like we did in kindergarten.

The biggest benefit by far is that my kids are comfortable with who they are, which sounds so cliche, but it is true. They are confident about what they want to do and how they want to spend their time and they don't have to bow to peer pressure. Their confidence is reflected in their success in their first jobs. My youngest was promoted to a supervisory position within a couple of weeks of starting his job at a local museum. The manager half-jokingly suggested he skip leaving for college and instead take one of the mid-level management positions instead -- and he is only 16!

I'm thankful for the relationship the two brothers have. The youngest one tutored the oldest in math via skype last semester. I'm thankful for all we've shared and that we've avoided most of the college admissions hysteria.

I could go on and on, I suppose. It was a wonderful journey, and I hope those families who are starting the high school years make sure they and their kids make that time, too.

I don't think I have anything different to add, but it certainly is a topic close to my heart as my youngest gets ready to head off to college next fall.

Time. Yes indeedy. Time to pursue interests in depth. My oldest started volunteering with the church tech department when he was 13, and by the time he was a senior he was being hired to do lighting designs for community theater productions. He is studying technical theater and show production in college now.

Time to be together as a family, even though that togetherness most often these days comes while driving to and from community college classes and work. I get to listen to my youngest jabber on about how cool calculus is.

Time to do absolutely nothing.

Time to drop everything on a whim and go out to lunch and the zoo like we did in kindergarten.

The biggest benefit by far is that my kids are comfortable with who they are, which sounds so cliche, but it is true. They are confident about what they want to do and how they want to spend their time and they don't have to bow to peer pressure. Their confidence is reflected in their success in their first jobs. My youngest was promoted to a supervisory position within a couple of weeks of starting his job at a local museum. The manager half-jokingly suggested he skip leaving for college and instead take one of the mid-level management positions instead -- and he is only 16!

I'm thankful for the relationship the two brothers have. The youngest one tutored the oldest in math via skype last semester. I'm thankful for all we've shared and that we've avoided most of the college admissions hysteria.

I could go on and on, I suppose. It was a wonderful journey, and I hope those families who are starting the high school years make sure they and their kids make that time, too.

It sounds like a wonderful journey! I'd love to know more about how you've managed to avoid the college admissions hysteria ... might make a good thread! ;) I think if we could figure out how to do that and lighten the schedule somewhat, then we'd have more time for the bolded. I think those two things are truly unique to homeschooling. :)

Peace. Joy. Self esteem (my oldest daughter, especially. She needed those years home to grow into herself before being thrown back into the pond again). An entrepreneurial spirit. A stronger faith. Closer relationships with eachother.

Yes being able to grow in faith together as a family is probably the greatest gift we've been given through homeschooling. Thank you for the reminder! :)

Lori I love reading all your posts. You are always so generous in sharing with us what you've learned in homeschooling your own family. Your love of homeschooling and all it offers shines through in all you've written. :)

Yes it's freeing' date=' and yes it is wonderful!!![/quote']

Oh, Teaching Mine, how sweet of you! I teared up at your kind words.

I forgot to answer the second part of your question, which was "how has it enriched your own life?" Homeschooling has stretched me, helped me to grow and mature as a person, caused me to be a much better parent, given me dreams to reach for, fed my own love of learning, and introduced me to so many dear and treasured ladies as friends, both "cyber" and real life friends, just to list a few blessings and benefits.

Homeschooling has been the best and most significant work I have had the privilege to be a part of it, and it is heart-wrenching to me that in just two short months, our 12 year journey will all be done when our younger DS graduates. I continue to pray the Lord will allow me some opportunity to continue in some fashion, and to be able to still be a part of this wonderful homeschooling community.

Thank you for this encouraging thread! Warmest regards, Lori

Edited by Lori D.

There are so many I could list! But the biggest two, apart from the obvious -- more time together as family, are flexibility with schedule, especially during a time of great emotional crisis for our family, and the ability to concentrate on a passionate interest and really develop it.

A year and a half ago, the kids and I drove three hours to the airport to pick up my oldest daughter, not realizing that that would be the last time we'd step foot in our home for a year and a half. While we were gone, my husband had a stroke in his sleep that was so massive, it took us to three rehab hospitals across the country. We never made it home again to even collect a book or item of clothing. My girls (the ones still left at home!) were able to come with me from state to state, supporting my husband and myself, and homeschool as they went. I'm so grateful we didn't have to worry about public school, how would they keep up with their credits, transferring from school to school. We could simply huddle together as a family through those desperate times, and be there for each other.

My kids have also had the opportunity to focus as much as they wanted to on some very specific interests, which they NEVER would have had time to do had they been in public school. They have been able to do some pretty amazing things and develop some awesome talents, simply because they had the time to do so.

I forgot to answer the second part of your question, which was "how has it enriched your own life?" Homeschooling has stretched me, helped me to grow and mature as a person, caused me to be a much better parent, given me dreams to reach for, fed my own love of learning, and introduced me to so many dear and treasured ladies as friends, both "cyber" and real life friends, just to list a few blessings and benefits.

Homeschooling has been the best and most significant work I have had the privilege to be a part of it, and it is heart-wrenching to me that in just two short months, our 12 year journey will all be done when our younger DS graduates. I continue to pray the Lord will allow me some opportunity to continue in some fashion, and to be able to still be a part of this wonderful homeschooling community.

Well, you've got to stay here! We'd all miss your wonderful lists and information. I love it when I see a post from you because I know it will be a good one that I might want to save!

And you got ME tearing up about your homeschooling journey coming to an end. I can't imagine!

I love that I am able to find what interests my highschoolers and to help them to pursue those interests. My daughter has always loved horses. We found a Christian mother/daughter team that own a horse farm. They allow her to come 2 to 3 times a week in the afternoon. She helps them and they teach her all there is to know about horses and riding lessons in exchange. A big plus is that they love making jewlery just like my daughter does and they are helping her to sell all the beautiful jewelry she has created at tack shows! I love the flexibility to allow them to chase their dreams and that I can be a part of it as well! :)

The biggest benefit by far is that my kids are comfortable with who they are, which sounds so cliche, but it is true. They are confident about what they want to do and how they want to spend their time and they don't have to bow to peer pressure.

Ayup.

Of course, this could have happened if my son attended the local public school. We'll never know.

One ramification that came from this self-confidence was my son's ability to converse with adults as well as peers from an early age. This goes back to what I call the "dinner party" skill set, i.e. the ability to be charming and conversational at a mixed group dinner party.

Homeschoolers have the distinct advantage of being a part of the "real world" where boundaries are not determined by age.

Thank you so much for such an encouraging thread! I really needed it. I have been beating myself up over the fact that we cannot keep 'on schedule' because of all the wonderful opportunities Ds has in extracurriculars this year (mostly public speaking, dog training and music). I am just now realizing that I will have to make the academic work fit the real life schedule and not the other way around.

It has been so uplifting reading these posts and reading how unimportant the ''schedule' really is. I realize now, that if I become rigid with scheduling and academics we will be giving up some of the very reasons we began homeschooling in the first place (focus on worldview, family relationships, time, love of learning, learning and growing by pursuing interests and so forth) just to replicate what is done in the public high school!

Anyway, just wanted to thank each of you for the insightful posts. I'm going to stop fretting so much about 'the schedule'!

Edited by shanvan

Lori it's only the students who graduate, not the teachers. :grouphug: As all have said, I hope that you are here for years to come, and I pray that the Lord will lead you to use your skills and talents in some wonderful way. You would make an amazing homeschool guidance counselor. ;)

There are so many I could list! But the biggest two, apart from the obvious -- more time together as family, are flexibility with schedule, especially during a time of great emotional crisis for our family, and the ability to concentrate on a passionate interest and really develop it.

A year and a half ago, the kids and I drove three hours to the airport to pick up my oldest daughter, not realizing that that would be the last time we'd step foot in our home for a year and a half. While we were gone, my husband had a stroke in his sleep that was so massive, it took us to three rehab hospitals across the country. We never made it home again to even collect a book or item of clothing. My girls (the ones still left at home!) were able to come with me from state to state, supporting my husband and myself, and homeschool as they went. I'm so grateful we didn't have to worry about public school, how would they keep up with their credits, transferring from school to school. We could simply huddle together as a family through those desperate times, and be there for each other.

My kids have also had the opportunity to focus as much as they wanted to on some very specific interests, which they NEVER would have had time to do had they been in public school. They have been able to do some pretty amazing things and develop some awesome talents, simply because they had the time to do so.

:grouphug:

Simply amazing. :)

Well, you've got to stay here! We'd all miss your wonderful lists and information. I love it when I see a post from you because I know it will be a good one that I might want to save!

And you got ME tearing up about your homeschooling journey coming to an end. I can't imagine!

Ditto!!!

I love that I am able to find what interests my highschoolers and to help them to pursue those interests. My daughter has always loved horses. We found a Christian mother/daughter team that own a horse farm. They allow her to come 2 to 3 times a week in the afternoon. She helps them and they teach her all there is to know about horses and riding lessons in exchange. A big plus is that they love making jewlery just like my daughter does and they are helping her to sell all the beautiful jewelry she has created at tack shows! I love the flexibility to allow them to chase their dreams and that I can be a part of it as well! :)

Awesome!!!

Ayup.

Of course, this could have happened if my son attended the local public school. We'll never know.

One ramification that came from this self-confidence was my son's ability to converse with adults as well as peers from an early age. This goes back to what I call the "dinner party" skill set, i.e. the ability to be charming and conversational at a mixed group dinner party.

Homeschoolers have the distinct advantage of being a part of the "real world" where boundaries are not determined by age.

Yes!!! This is what I need to remember to answer when others ask the age old "socialization" question. :lol:

Thank you so much for such an encouraging thread! I really needed it. I have been beating myself up over the fact that we cannot keep 'on schedule' because of all the wonderful opportunities Ds has in extracurriculars this year (mostly public speaking, dog training and music). I am just now realizing that I will have to make the academic work fit the real life schedule and not the other way around.

It has been so uplifting reading these posts and reading how unimportant the ''schedule' really is. I realize now, that if I become rigid with scheduling and academics we will be giving up some of the very reasons we began homeschooling in the first place (focus on worldview, family relationships, time, love of learning, learning and growing by pursuing interests and so forth) just to replicate what is done in the public high school!

Anyway, just wanted to thank each of you for the insightful posts. I'm going to stop fretting so much about 'the schedule'!

You're welcome - I think we all needed it! Thank you so much to all who have contributed such wisdom and inspiration - there's so many benefits to homeschooling!

Our "schedule" is also way out of line this year, but in hindsight, I wouldn't have changed a thing which has helped make it that way. :tongue_smilie: So much learning takes place in those opportunities which aren't to be missed. :)

One ramification that came from this self-confidence was my son's ability to converse with adults as well as peers from an early age.

(I underlined part of the quote above.)

It's funny to see this as an acquaintance once commented to me that my daughter was one of the few teens she knew who would greet adults when she encountered them. I can't say whether this results from homeschooling, but I do believe that my daughter would have interacted less frequently with adults had she attended a public school.

Regards,

Kareni

(I underlined part of the quote above.)

It's funny to see this as an acquaintance once commented to me that my daughter was one of the few teens she knew who would greet adults when she encountered them. I can't say whether this results from homeschooling, but I do believe that my daughter would have interacted less frequently with adults had she attended a public school.

Regards,

Kareni

I have no doubt that the same would also have been true for my dd. :)

Totally agree! It is such a pleasure to see our DSs have an easy conversation "up or down" -- with adults, or with younger children. They have learned to accept each as an individual person, worthy of conversing with/listening to. :)

Words of wisdom. Yes, conversing well with children is important too! :)

The benefits for our family include higher level academics than what is offered locally in the ps and private schools. Also, it allowed our sons to have employment throughout the year. It allowed them to take concurrent courses for college credit. It allowed my 2nd son to do a "study abroad" type thing in England for the last half of his spring semester of senior year. Because of his outstanding experience there, my other 2 sons will also do this. It allowed us, as a family, to take time off for vacations when dh was free (and the boys didn't have any outside classes).

One of the most precious aspects of homeschooling high school, for me, is that I get to have frank adult discussions with them when they need to talk. We've had some great discussions about politics, morality, God, evolution/creation, girls :) , marriage, careers, money, friendships, etc. I wouldn't trade that time for anything.