Menu

Conceptual Physics labs: I'm stumped and need help

I feel stuck. I have Conceptual Physics (PH 2007) for 9th grade, but I have no labs planned yet. If you all don't mind, I need some inspiration. According to my cover school, a science class is worth a full credit; the lab is worth half a credit... 85+/- hours. I don't know what to do for lab and feel a little panic starting to brew. I really want something open-and-go (as much as possible). I don't like having to research one lab at a time and figure out where it fits in the book. Physics is not my thing... We do have some physics lab equipment from Home Science Tools since we are doing physical science this year.

Dd is finishing up Algebra I this year (8th grade) and has a strong B in the class currently. She will take geometry next year.

I've considered:

Labpaq... this is what I've come closest to purchasing. PKS has 24 labs but has challenging math. This would probably meet the 85 hours, but trying to do that many labs would require going at a neck-breaking speed. This seems too overwhelming to me. This Labpaq is $180! PK105 ($118, I think) includes more manageable math, but there are only 9 labs. We would have to spend between 9-10 hours on each lab for this to work. Sounds like that idea is out.

Ok... that is the only one I've seriously thought about. I've seen lab books at CBD and Amazon... I would bet these are more demonstration-type labs and don't come close to the quality of Labpaq.

So, my next thought has been to do Derek Owens Physics. Love that this is open-and-go (trying to forget that this is expensive too!) But, even he only does 10 labs, and therefore wouldn't meet the 85 lab hours.

For something pre-planned like Derek Owens class + lab, it seems like a cover school would accept it as a package deal. (I need to compare this to Apologia labs. My cover school teaches some Apologia classes with labs... If DO is similar, then maybe it would be accepted...)

Please help me over this speed bump. Can you all be specific about labs that I could use for Conceptual Physics... keeping in mind that I need 85 hours for half of a credit???

THANK YOU!

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

I am not being snarky, but physics and math are joined at the hip. Trying to do avoid doing serious math while teaching physics is the same as saying you're not going to teach it right. So, if you really want to teach this yourself, pick the course you're more scared of.

My $0.02.

I am not being snarky, but physics and math are joined at the hip. Trying to avoid doing serious math while teaching physics is the same as saying you're not going to teach it right. So, if you really want to teach this yourself, pick the course you're more scared of.

My $0.02.

I appreciate the comment. You are right; physics IS math. This is why I'm trying to be cautious and find something balanced and something that fits dd. Physics can be done in 9th grade if it is handled properly.

CP is conceptual; Labpaq has some math. That seemed like a good balance to me. Labpaq is trying to discourage me from using them, I think. Comments such as this from a recent e-mail exchange give me doubts about using them:

"Unfortunately, we do not get the state requirements for High School AP curriculum as our primary market is Colleges..."

Although there are several on these boards who are using Labpaq quite successfully.... even with Conceptual Physics. What has stumped me most recently is the requirement from my cover stating that the lab needs to be worth a half-credit. I'm not sure what to choose that will satisfy that requirement without being overwhelming to my student.

My goal is for 9th grade physics to prep for 10th grade chemistry which preps 11th grade biology.

Are you sure that you are understanding the cover school to mean that you need to add an additional 1/5 credit to the full credit of regular course time (for 1/5 credits total). This sounds like what I did in college, but not like what I would expect for high school.

Have you tried searching for terms like "labs for conceptual physics"? You might be able to find a syllabus that lists the labs done in schools using this book.

Are you sure that you are understanding the cover school to mean that you need to add an additional 1/5 credit to the full credit of regular course time (for 1/5 credits total). This sounds like what I did in college, but not like what I would expect for high school.

Have you tried searching for terms like "labs for conceptual physics"? You might be able to find a syllabus that lists the labs done in schools using this book.

Try digging here. Seems to have labs keyed to Conceptual Physics.

I am not being snarky, but physics and math are joined at the hip. Trying to do avoid doing serious math while teaching physics is the same as saying you're not going to teach it right. So, if you really want to teach this yourself, pick the course you're more scared of.

My $0.02.

Just a quick aside to Peterb: Google "Physics first". There is a movement out there to cover "conceptual" physics first, then chemistry, then biology. The fourth high school science could then be Calculus based physics or an AP version of Chem or Bio.

We've been using TOPS and Homescience Tools kits. I have the lab book of hands-on experiments that goes with the high school Conceptual Physics textbook, but the majority required expensive and specific classroom lab equipment that we did not have access to. If you can work with a local high school physics, or even with the university, you might be able to work out something for labs. For the math portion, we do problems in the end-of-chapter review, plus problems from the matching problem-solving workbook.

In case it is of help, below is a general list of what kits go with each chapter of the high school Conceptual Physics. You'll still need to do a more detailed match-up of which exact experiment fits in with each chapter. A few chapters are more theoretical and so there were no experiments that matched up. BEST of luck in finding what works best for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

CONCEPTUAL PHYSICS (for high school) by Paul Hewitt (c. 2002)

chapter 1: About Science

- TOPS Kinetic Model

UNIT 1 = MECHANICS

chapter 2-16

- TOPS Motion

- TOPS Pressure

- Homescience Tools Physics Introduction Kit

- experiment in the textbook

UNIT 2 = PROPERTIES OF MATTER

chapter 17-20

- TOPS Kinetic Model

- TOPS Floating & Sinking

- TOPS Pressure

- TOPS Heat

UNIT 3 = HEAT

chapter 21-24

- TOPS Heat

- TOPS Kinetic Model

UNIT IV: SOUND AND LIGHT

chapter 25-31

- TOPS Sound

- TOPS Light

- TOPS Focus Pocus

- Homescience Tools Lens Set Activities

UNIT V: ELECTRICITY AND MAGNETISM

chapter 32-37

- Safe & Simple Electrical Experiments by Rudolf Graf (book & supplies from Homescience Tools)

UNIT VI: ATOMIC AND NUCLEAR PHYSICS

chapter 38-40

- none

Edited by Lori D.

We've been using TOPS and Homescience Tools kits. I have the lab book of hands-on experiments that goes with the high school Conceptual Physics textbook, but the majority required expensive and specific classroom lab equipment that we did not have access to. If you can work with a local high school physics, or even with the university, you might be able to work out something for labs.

Thank you, Lori.

I've heard the same about CP's lab book. That is why I have not invested in it.

I don't think I would have thought about checking with a local university. That might help.

In the mean time, I'm double checking with my cover school about the hours required.

Thank you, Sebastian. I really appreciate this link. I've never been comfortable with the CP lab stuff. They seem expensive and somehow not user friendly.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyone use the labs from CP web site successfully?

Have you seen Teaching Physics with Toys?

Despite this being a book for elementary & middle school students, the original lab demonstrations in the book were developed for use in non-majors physics classses. DH was in the undergrad course that was used as test students for the lab projects.

Lab equipment can be pretty expensive. But there can also be creative inexpensive alternatives to single use specific lab set ups. For example, labs that look at inclined planes could be designed to use specific ramps and wheeled carts. Or you could use bricks and scrapwood and matchbox cars. Because the physics that makes the spiffy physics cart AND the pinewood derby car roll down hill is the same.

It looks like you can get an older edition, used CP lab manual for under $10 on Amazon. There are teacher editions for around $25. Read through this and think about how you can adapt the sense of the experiment to more home built set ups. Better yet, ask your student to come up with adaptations.

Might not be the level of time committment you're looking for. It's not open and go. (And I do have to acknowledge that the site I linked to had the labs laid out with the intention of selling lab gear.) But then, I enjoy throwing stuff out the kids' windows to demonstrate physics. (I think my 4th grader is still a little irked that one of his slippers became part of our last demo. :D Not a science lesson he's likely to forget.)

Have you seen Teaching Physics with Toys?

Despite this being a book for elementary & middle school students, the original lab demonstrations in the book were developed for use in non-majors physics classses. DH was in the undergrad course that was used as test students for the lab projects.

Lab equipment can be pretty expensive. But there can also be creative inexpensive alternatives to single use specific lab set ups. For example, labs that look at inclined planes could be designed to use specific ramps and wheeled carts. Or you could use bricks and scrapwood and matchbox cars. Because the physics that makes the spiffy physics cart AND the pinewood derby car roll down hill is the same.

It looks like you can get an older edition, used CP lab manual for under $10 on Amazon. There are teacher editions for around $25. Read through this and think about how you can adapt the sense of the experiment to more home built set ups. Better yet, ask your student to come up with adaptations.

Might not be the level of time committment you're looking for. It's not open and go. (And I do have to acknowledge that the site I linked to had the labs laid out with the intention of selling lab gear.) But then, I enjoy throwing stuff out the kids' windows to demonstrate physics. (I think my 4th grader is still a little irked that one of his slippers became part of our last demo. :D Not a science lesson he's likely to forget.)

Yes, I have the TE. I know there are activity type labs there. I also have Reader's Digest How Science Works (something like that)... I was hoping to use a more professional type lab just to boost the caliber of the class since this is for high school.

I love your method of using everyday objects for lab experiments. I bet you clean up lots of clutter throwing stuff our of your children's windows. :001_smile:

My $0.02.

Actually, you can do a course in the concepts of Physics first and then you have a foundation for the math. Some students can do all the math of Physics or Chem and get A's without every really grasping the conceptual part of it.

My db is a physics prof (Ph.D. + did a postdoc) and he actually gave me his sample copy of this book when I asked him what he thought about it. He thought it would make a good intro course for a high school Physics student. Dd didn't end up doing that book because she's doing honours Physics at the local ps in her junior year ahead. She did do the Conceptual Chemistry book written by Pa

I appreciate the comment. You are right; physics IS math. This is why I'm trying to be cautious and find something balanced and something that fits dd. Physics can be done in 9th grade if it is handled properly.

My goal is for 9th grade physics to prep for 10th grade chemistry which preps 11th grade biology.

This is a great order to do science, and you can always do Physics math as part of your math classes later.

Actually, you can do a course in the concepts of Physics first and then you have a foundation for the math. Some students can do all the math of Physics or Chem and get A's without every really grasping the conceptual part of it.

My db is a physics prof (Ph.D. + did a postdoc) and he actually gave me his sample copy of this book when I asked him what he thought about it. He thought it would make a good intro course for a high school Physics student. Dd didn't end up doing that book because she's doing honours Physics at the local ps in her junior year ahead. She did do the Conceptual Chemistry book written by Pa

This is a great order to do science, and you can always do Physics math as part of your math classes later.

Karin, your comments sound very encouraging..... are you referring to Conceptual Physics? I want to understand what you're saying. I wonder what your db would suggest for a lab to go along with CP.

:iagree:

For physics lab, you really do not need ANY kind of specialized equipment, because many things can be done with common household items. Much more so than biology and chemistry - because it is not how complicated the experiment is that decides the educational value, but how thoroughly you are with the data analysis.

If you search the boards: I have posted several times about no-cost suggestions for physics experiments.

I was hoping to use a more professional type lab just to boost the caliber of the class since this is for high school.

That is a complete misconception. More sophisticated equipment will do absolutely nothing to enhance the educational value of the lab, because it is not the experiment and the electronic data collection nature, but what you DO with the data that determines the rigor.

We have, for instance, done a very simple experiment, determining the variables upon which the period of a simple pendulum depends. We have studied independently the length, the mass, and the amplitude. The student has repeated each measurement many times to obtain enough data for statistics. Each variable was varied separately. She plotted the different sets of data on graph paper, did a statistical error analysis, included the error in the graphs, fitted the data with a computer program to determine the exact nature of the relationship (for the one variable that influenced the period at all).

All this was done with no more sophisticated equipment than a measuring tape and a stop watch; the level of analysis is what made the lab rigorous.

That is a complete misconception. More sophisticated equipment will do absolutely nothing to enhance the educational value of the lab, because it is not the experiment and the electronic data collection nature, but what you DO with the data that determines the rigor.

We have, for instance, done a very simple experiment, determining the variables upon which the period of a simple pendulum depends. We have studied independently the length, the mass, and the amplitude. The student has repeated each measurement many times to obtain enough data for statistics. Each variable was varied separately. She plotted the different sets of data on graph paper, did a statistical error analysis, included the error in the graphs, fitted the data with a computer program to determine the exact nature of the relationship (for the one variable that influenced the period at all).

All this was done with no more sophisticated equipment than a measuring tape and a stop watch; the level of analysis is what made the lab rigorous.

Thank you, Regentrude! I understand what you're saying. My problem is that I never took physics and I feel like I can do nothing as far as pulling labs/resources together. I feel like I need some significant help.... thus Labpaq. But, I'm not sure this is the answer either. Looking at the samples, the math just looks scary. I know others have used Labpaq with Conceptual Physics. I have to decide if we're going to use it or something else.

That something else could be Derek Owens physics class; it's just so expensive.

CP would be great for us if I could just get this lab thing figured out.:tongue_smilie:

In the mean time, I'm double checking with my cover school about the hours required.

I'd really like to see what they say about this. At first glance, 85 hours seems very high to me. But, if they're including experimentation time and the time to do the calculations, make graphs, write the lab report, etc, you're probably only talking about one experiment and a thorough write-up per week. That still seems disproportionate to the number of hours of instruction/problem solving, though.

I feel stuck. I have Conceptual Physics (PH 2007) for 9th grade, but I have no labs planned yet. If you all don't mind, I need some inspiration. According to my cover school, a science class is worth a full credit; the lab is worth half a credit... 85+/- hours. I don't know what to do for lab and feel a little panic starting to brew.
Oh my. I would be in a panic, too, if I had to do 85 hours of lab work for a 9th grade science course (and I am a certified high school physics teacher)!! Please check with your cover school about this requirement and keep us posted. I'm teaching a friend's son physics in my home this year; we work about an hour or so a week on a lab exercise. He will finish with about 30-35 hours of lab work; we were pleased with that amount! LOL!

IF you do have to complete 85 hours (I can't imagine...), then you might look into some major project-type lab experiences. Here is an interesting link to get you thinking in that direction:

http://www.tryengineering.org/lesson.php

Karin, your comments sound very encouraging..... are you referring to Conceptual Physics? I want to understand what you're saying. I wonder what your db would suggest for a lab to go along with CP.

I didn't ask him about labs, and the lab book required expensive equipment since it wasn't designed for home use. Regentrude has made the best suggestions and knows more about this than I do. There is also a high school Conceptual Physics text designed for grade 9/10 that may suit you better; the college one is very long. We own both because dd wasn't that keen on Physics at the time & wanted a shorter one.

I ended up expelling my dd and she's doing Honours Physics with the math in ps, but I still wish she'd done the other class first as she got so much out of the Conceptual Chemistry book. I should add that dd is mathy and at this point plans to major in it in university/college (she's flucutated back and forth between that and molecular biology or genetics).

In the end Physics studies do need math, of course, but there is much to be said about doing Conceptual Physics first, especially if you can do more later and/or have a student who is never going to go into Physics.