Menu

Looking for Good Read Alouds that have also been made into Good Movies

kbpaulie

We're looking to put together a summer read-aloud program and want to do good read alouds that also have good movies. I know we've done some of these in the past and can't think of many right now. This is for dds 6 & 9.

Thanks

Lassie Come-Home; the 101 Dalmations (I'd go with the recent live-action movie instead of the cartoon); Mary Poppins; Sarah Plain and Tall (I think the sequels are also movies); Anne of Green Gables; Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm; Heidi; Wind in the Willows; The Borrowers; The Rescuers (the books are rare, but they're worth looking for); Misty of Chincoteague; the Black Stallion; Hurry Home, Candy.

For that age...

Babe aka The Sheep Pig

The Borrowers/Arrietty

maybe The Black Stallion

I haven't seen the Ramona movie, but have heard it's pretty good

ETA: James and the Giant Peach, The Fantastic Mr Fox

Edited by nmoira

DS has most recently fallen in love with Invention of Hugo Cabret. The movie AND the book.

James and the Giant Peach was a great book that DS loved, but he hated the movie. He was bothered that the movie changed so many things.

We are planning to read the Borrowers soon and see the movie Arrietty which is supposed to be good!

We loved Tale of Despereaux. The book was way better than the movie, but the movie was liked by my kids, too. I think the author, Kate Dicamillo, also wrote Because of Winn Dixie which is a movie, too. My kids also love the Narnia series and I think there are 3 movies out. Depending on your standards you may find those movies at times too scary or violent though.

Some we've read and watched:

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

Babe (the pig)

Peter Pan

Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone

Pippi Longstocking

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Next we'll do The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. This summer I want to read them The Hobbit but I'm not sure how scary/dark the movie will be.

Great idea!

Having finally read The Wizard of Oz, I realize how many changes were made in the movie, but I do think it's a classic that can't be missed!

That Shirley Temple version of The Little Princess is strangely divergent from the book but it might be worth seeing. How's the more recent Secret Garden??

If you have boys, How to Train Your Dragon. ( Actually my girls both loved these.) There are lots of books in the series.

AL

:glare: Except the movie is so different from the books. Oldest dd liked the movie before she read the books. Now, she likes the books & is annoyed at the movie. So, YMMV.

Another vote for The Invention of Hugo Cabret. The Borrowers/Arrietty's World are both good, but different. There's a more recent version of A Little Princess that fits the storyline slightly better. The Secret Garden was pretty good. It might be fun to see how different the Mary Poppins movie is from the book. Also there's Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Howl's Moving Castle, Ballet Shoes (TV movie with Emma Watson), and Nurse Matilda/Nanny McPhee.

We read & watched Shiloh & The Indian in the Cupboard this year. There are others I know...I'm just not recalling them right now.:glare: And we're reading Charlotte's Web right now. Not sure if we'll watch it though. I think both boys have already seen it.

Edited by us4jones
added CW

We have never heard of Hugo before until the academy awards! I will totally have my son read the book before the movie. I really like that idea of doing a summer reading/movie club. Oh and percy jackson movie was a lot different than the book. It really bummed my son out that percy was 12 in the book and they portrayed him as 16/17 in the movie.

Having finally read The Wizard of Oz, I realize how many changes were made in the movie, but I do think it's a classic that can't be missed!

We love both the book and the movie. :) My mother, however, who saw the movie in its first run, could hardly wait to get to the library to check out the book...and hated it.

That Shirley Temple version of The Little Princess is strangely divergent from the book but it might be worth seeing. How's the more recent Secret Garden??

Shirley Temple's Heidi is pretty, um, divergent from the book, as well. :glare:

The Kate Maberly Secred Garden is pretty good.

We love both the book and the movie. :) My mother, however, who saw the movie in its first run, could hardly wait to get to the library to check out the book...and hated it.

I had the same reaction with Mary Poppins. My mom bought them a copy, we started reading it, and hated it! I have since shown my kids the movie and we all loved it! The MP in the book is horribly grumpy beyond belief. No singing in that one.

I also read Kachner's Lisa and Lotte as a girl, which is the basis for Parent Trap. It's fun. The book is OOP, though. I had a hankering for it and bought it online (for cheap, but I still paid $4 shipping). The next week there was a copy at a library book sale! aaaah

Edited by stripe

One of the best books we read was "Treasures of The Snow", then we found the movie in a church library. MFW is where we heard of these books.

I read aloud 5 of the books, and can't recall now which other does have a movie. CBD had it, so now I need to look! :grouphug:

These are older, but Amazon had updated (easier ) versions to read and they are inspirational and full of discussion topics on character.