Menu

Ipod adapter for car

I don't have an auxiliary jack in my car. Before I think about having a new radio installed, what can you tell me about the adapters that go through the FM channels? I heard they are carp. :tongue_smilie: I'm not sure I want to mess with the manufacturer's radio. I've done it on older cars but my car is only 4 years old. I do have Sirius XM but I'm thinking of canceling it. I don't use it much.

I've used one. It's fine if you're staying in the same basic geographical area. It's a pain on a road trip (because the stations change, and the "void" station that works where you are now is playing music elsewhere, and you have to find another one).

You want as many station options as you can get. I had this one: http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Authority2-Adapter-Players/dp/B00078NING

DH has now installed something that has the ipod music coming thru the car radio via one of the CD choices: http://diceelectronics.com/g2-cradle

Is your car old enough that it has a tape player? Mine does and I just picked up an old fashioned converter that plugs in to tape deck and has a cord that goes to headphone jack on my iPad.

That's what I use too. It isn't the greatest sound but my car is ancient and I'm not going to give it a new radio.

Check out Crutchfield - Google it. They have online chat helper guys who can suggest an appropriate stereo for your car. They specialize in giving really good info so that anyone can install a stereo themselves - my dh has done it several times. My stereo was around $100; it has an aux jack, and can take input from an ipod via a USB input jack, plus I can put a zillion songs on a flash drive and plug that in - nice when you don't want to worry about the ipod being a target for theft. I considered this a homeschooling expense, as we listened to all of Hakim's History of US on it!

I have a 2008 Hyundai Sonata with only a CD player. My dd19 has a 2008 Hyundai Accent and it has CD AND Aux. jack! Her car doesn't have power windows or locks, but it has an aux. jack. Egads!

I was at Best Buy when I first bought the car a couple of years ago and the guy told me he didn't sell anything that would actually work well. I've taken all of my itunes songs and put them on CDs, but I hate changing the CDs so much.

I have a 2008 Hyundai Sonata with only a CD player. My dd19 has a 2008 Hyundai Accent and it has CD AND Aux. jack! Her car doesn't have power windows or locks, but it has an aux. jack. Egads!

I was at Best Buy when I first bought the car a couple of years ago and the guy told me he didn't sell anything that would actually work well. I've taken all of my itunes songs and put them on CDs, but I hate changing the CDs so much.

No cigarette lighter either? Wow. I tried the FM thing and it was awful, especially here in the mountains.

No cigarette lighter either? Wow. I tried the FM thing and it was awful, especially here in the mountains.

I do have a cigarette lighter and an outlet thing that looks like the cigarette lighter. Oh I'm embarrassed to say I do not know the names of these things. The adapter/transmitter plugs into it and the other end into the ipod. The guy at Best Buy warned me it wouldn't work near Atlanta because the radio signals bounce around too much. I truly assumed he was serious because I'm not used to a salesman trying to talk me out of a purchase. It's not like he was trying to get me to buy something more expensive. He just told me I was going to be very unhappy with it and would bring it back like many other customers.