Menu

Not soda bread

Does anyone know of a traditional Irish bread that is *not* soda bread. I'm looking ahead to St. Patrick's day and I've made soda bread a couple times before and it's just not our favorite. It's like a giant biscuit and gets kind of dry for us. So, is there any other kind of bread that would be a traditional or special Irish bread? I was wondering if maybe an oat type bread might be good.

Apparently the flour that is used in traditional Irish Soda Bread is not the equivalent of American All Purpose flour. The King Arthur Flour cookbook that I own suggests using corn starch for some of the plain flour to get the right consistency.

Also, American Irish Soda bread usually contains raisins and caraway seeds. Why? I don't know.

My version follows. It can be a little dry towards the end of the loaf, but it usually disappears fairly quickly so that is rarely a problem.

1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour

1 cup all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

4 Tablespoons butter

1 cup buttermilk

About a half cup of currents

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. I bake this on a stone which heats with the oven.

Blend the flours and soda in a bowl. Cut the cold butter into smaller pieces then use a pastry blender (or your fingers) to incorporate it into the flour mix. It will look "crumbly". Stir in the currents.

Add the buttermilk and stir with a spoon until the mixture adheres. Then turn it on a floured board and knead it gently. If the moisture level is just right, you'll only need to knead the loaf about ten times. But humidity and flours vary so much. At this point I may be incorporating a bit more plain flour into the mix if it seems too wet.

Next I shape the loaf into a round. Right before it goes into the oven, I slash the top, making an X, and paint the top with a bit more buttermilk. Into the oven it goes for about 45 minutes.

When it comes out, I place the bread on a wooden board and cover it with a clean cloth. I think this is the trick that helps keep the soda bread from turning into one giant dry biscuit.

I would be curious to see other recipes since I know mine is not traditional.

Does anyone know of a traditional Irish bread that is *not* soda bread. I'm looking ahead to St. Patrick's day and I've made soda bread a couple times before and it's just not our favorite. It's like a giant biscuit and gets kind of dry for us. So, is there any other kind of bread that would be a traditional or special Irish bread? I was wondering if maybe an oat type bread might be good.

Can you do a savory scone?

Apparently the flour that is used in traditional Irish Soda Bread is not the equivalent of American All Purpose flour. The King Arthur Flour cookbook that I own suggests using corn starch for some of the plain flour to get the right consistency.

If you live in certain areas of the country, you can find White Lily

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2007/09/the-secret-of-the-irish-scone/6121/ provides some suggestions for substitutions for Irish scones

Potato bread/farl. Fry it and serve with a fried egg on top, some brown sauce if you have that over there.:D

Or barmbrack if you want a sweet fruit bread.

Or apple potato bread....

Weaten farl, a brown soda that is a bit less stodgy

If all else fails, make a huge white burger bun and that's a Belfast bap.

Edited by lorrainejmc