Menu

Math Ideas for the Math Adverse

I hope DD will finish Geometry (Jacobs) in 10th grade this year, but she is progressing slowly while complaining greatly. She is extremely creative and eschews the idea of math. What are some Math options for 11th grade next year, given that Algebra II is NOT viable?

Algebra II anyway with the incentive that she gets an hour to work on a creative project of her choosing after each completed lesson? :thumbup:

Would she prefer to work online? Has she tried Khan Academy or Brightstorm? Just wondering if it's only the content that's objectionable, or maybe the method.

I wonder if she's had enough math to go into statistics. But really it's the algebra 2 which will help her the most with the standardized tests, so I'd not be inclined to skip it. If the test scores aren't a concern, then maybe a consumer math course?

I NEVER thought my oldest dd would get to Algebra 2.

I'm extremely grateful that we kept plodding and finished Algebra 2 right before she graduated. We skipped Geometry-- there was not enough time.

Turns out that this dd decided to go to college (never even dreamed this) and she NEEDED College Algebra (Algebra for College students) for her non-math/science degree program. She ended up making an A!!! It took a FULL 2 years (summers too!) to complete Algebra 2... but she had a solid foundation. There were complaints and tears almost every day but we kept on plodding... in the end it was worth it!

My dd will be graduating from college this summer WITH HONORS--- I'm as shocked and as proud as can be! (Homeschooling her ON HER LEVEL did not permanently harm her!!!).

• 3 weeks later...
Just wondering if it's only the content that's objectionable' date=' or maybe the method. [/quote']

Teachin'Mine:

Thanks for the reply - DD objects to the content, and she can't imagine any method that will make math more engaging. She will spend hours reading and writing, but digs in her heels when Geometry or (sometimes) Chemistry calls....

I NEVER thought my oldest dd would get to Algebra 2.

I'm extremely grateful that we kept plodding and finished Algebra 2 right before she graduated. We skipped Geometry-- there was not enough time.

Turns out that this dd decided to go to college (never even dreamed this) and she NEEDED College Algebra (Algebra for College students) for her non-math/science degree program. She ended up making an A!!! It took a FULL 2 years (summers too!) to complete Algebra 2... but she had a solid foundation. There were complaints and tears almost every day but we kept on plodding... in the end it was worth it!

My dd will be graduating from college this summer WITH HONORS--- I'm as shocked and as proud as can be! (Homeschooling her ON HER LEVEL did not permanently harm her!!!).

Jann:

Your story gives me hope. What Algebra II curriculum would you recommend for my DD, given that we will take a plodding approach? So far we've used Jacobs for Algebra I and Geometry.

Thanks,

Gina