Menu

My first time ever with a babysitter, have questions, need help FAST!

Okay so my dh and I want to go to a meeting tonight, a foster parent orientation. I am taking littlest ds, but have never had a babysitter before.

A friend of dh's at work has a 17-year-old daughter that came over to meet us and the dd's yesterday. She is coming at 5:30 to watch over the girls.

So here are the questions:

1. Do I feed her?

2. If yes, will a pizza for her and the girls suffice, or should I tell them to take run of the kitchen?

3. She said her rate is normally $5-$10 an hour. Should we go toward the high end?

We will be leaving about 5:30 and the meeting is over at 7:30 so we should be home no later than 8.

Anything else I need to tell her or leave for her except our number? We will be less than 15 minutes away.

Thanks!!

Edited by PentecostalMom

Pizza will be great and be clear about any snacks allowed. My kids ALWAYS try to get the good snacks with a babysitter.

Leave your number and relax. As far as pay goes, I always go for the higher end - I want them to want to come to my house and appreciate me as much as I appreciate them, kwim?

When we've used a babysitter in the past, I've either had pizza delivered or had a kid friendly meal already cooked. The babysitter just needed to dish it up and was free to have some as well.

I paid $10 an hour for two kids, but our babysitter was an adult (21yo), provided her own transportation, and spent the entire time actively engaged with the kids (ie. not on the phone or watching tv). She was awesome.

Okay so my dh and I want to go to a meeting tonight, a foster parent orientation. I am taking littlest ds, but have never had a babysitter before.

A friend of dh's at work has a 17-year-old daughter that came over to meet us and the dd's yesterday. She is coming at 5:30 to watch over the girls.

So here are the questions:

1. Do I feed her?

2. If yes, will a pizza for her and the girls suffice, or should I tell them to take run of the kitchen?

pizza is perfect, I don't like new babysitter to cook until I know them and know they can handle it and the kitchen. Of course, I do tell the sitter to help herself to anything (snacks, drinks etc).

3. She said her rate is normall $5-$10 an hour. Should we go toward the high end?

Do you know the going rate in your area? We pay one of our sitters $10/hour. She is fantastic, cleans up, the kids love her, and we are super comfortable with her and never worry there will be a problem. She also drives (and is 17). Another sitter we pay $7-8 bc my house is usually a mess when I get home :glare: I have found that when you find a good sitter, pay her well bc you want them to choose to bbsit over other things when you need them! :)

We will be leaving about 5:30 and the meeting is over at 7:30 so we should be home no later than 8. Anything else I need to tell her or leave for her except our number? We will be less than 15 minutes away.

Thanks!!

General rule is to leave emergency contact in case for some reason they cannot get a hold of you, oh, and poison control. ;)

That said, we just leave our 2 cell numbers :) :tongue_smilie:

Have a great time!!!!

Anything else I need to tell her or leave for her except our number? We will be less than 15 minutes away.

Thanks!!

As we've learned here on the forums, every family is different. I would be very clear about "house rules" that may seem obvious to you, but not to someone from another family. Things like: Can the kids watch TV? Can they snack? Do you expect her to put them to bed? Get them ready for bed? etc.

Order a pizza. You might call and check what she likes.

Leave a note with the following:

Your full names and cell number

The house jumber if you have one

Your exact address as well as the closest major cross streets.

Kids names and ages, any allergies or special needs/notes.

If you want a schedule maintained, write it out.

I was taught to het this info in a babysitting class I took in Jr high. It gives the sitter all info needed in case of an emergency. If, for some reason, she needs to call 911, it speeds up the process of she has address and cross streets.

Dd18 gets $10/hr. I usually feed her, but we are food snobs :)

Make sure the babysitter has a cell phone if you don't have a land line. Ask me how I know.... Dd fell into the dark hole because I'm used to land lines. I got her a pay as you go that works in our area to take to babysitting (we have a lot of places locally that only get signal w/verizon). And if you are cell only, you need to take her cell number with you so you will know when she calls.