Menu

WWYD- give to child now or save for b-day?

I bought my 19 month old dd the absolute cutest, wooden, pink, retro-like play kitchen today. I wasn't looking for one, but came across it at a consignment store for a good price and just HAD to have it. If her birthday was close, I'd save it and give it to her then- but it's 5 months away. But, it's this big, expensive, awesome thing- I won't be able to "top it" when her b-day does roll around. I'm not the kind of person who only buys kids toys at b-day/Christmas, but I do like the really cool stuff. It's entirely possible that when her b-day gets here, I won't have any ideas and will wander around looking for something- anything- to get her. This would be a super-special present. On the other hand, we'd get 5 'extra' months of play value if I gave it to her now. And maybe it's only from an adult perspective that it would be super-special. Maybe from a 2 year old perspective the important thing is to have a kitchen- who cares when you get it?!?!?

WWYD?

I think you should give it to her now. To a 2 yo I think just having the kitchen is fun and awesome, it doesn't matter when you get it.

The only way I would consider waiting is if I had ample storage space for it.

On one hand, she might love it and get those 5 months of play out of it--on the other, she may be too young to fully appreciate it.

You could always give it to her now with a few wooden/felt fruits and veggies and pots/dishes, and then give her other, related things for her birthday.

Give it to her now if she is old enough to enjoy it. These times pass so quickly.

And try not to feel like you have to "top it" when her birthday comes around. You can "top it" for a two year old by giving her an empty box with holes cut out to make a fort. :D

On one hand, she might love it and get those 5 months of play out of it--on the other, she may be too young to fully appreciate it.

You could always give it to her now with a few wooden/felt fruits and veggies and pots/dishes, and then give her other, related things for her birthday.

I do wonder if she's a little young to fully appreciate it. But she got wooden food for Christmas that she really likes playing with (cookies on a cookie sheet, cupcakes in a muffin tin in particular) she likes to arrange it and pass it out to everyone. And the kitchen has knobs and buttons which she LOVES. It came with some felt food and come cute pots/pans! Really adorable.

Give it to her now. Get her something else fun when her birthday rolls around. Honestly, at age 2, nothing has to cost a lot of money. The $2 pink ball from the warehouse grocery store bin will be as big a hit as something expensive. Save your "top this" money for when she's older and really cares!

Give it to her now if she is old enough to enjoy it. These times pass so quickly.

And try not to feel like you have to "top it" when her birthday comes around. You can "top it" for a two year old by giving her an empty box with holes cut out to make a fort. :D

:iagree: A really special gift shouldn't matter when it is given. You don't have to "top" anything. Ever. And especially at 19 mos. She won't remember recieving it, just that she had one and played w/ it for years on end. :D

:iagree: A really special gift shouldn't matter when it is given. You don't have to "top" anything. Ever. And especially at 19 mos. She won't remember recieving it, just that she had one and played w/ it for years on end. :D

You're SO right. I know you are.

2 year olds have no concept of "birthdays". I mean, of course they enjoy them when they come around, but 5 months to a 2yo is 20 percent of her life! It would be like one of use having to wait 6 or 8 years! ;)

Give it to her now and let her enjoy it. :) I like the idea of saving some of the little "extras" (pots and pans, cute apron -- a matching one for Mommy would make it extra special -- play food, etc) for her birthday.

:iagree:

I'd give it to her now. At her 2yo birthday, it won't take much to make her happy. My niece just had her birthday last weekend and out of the many gifts she received, the thing she was the most enamored with with a penguin balloon.

Lisa

I think you guys are right- I'll give it to her soon. We're going to be rearranging bedrooms this weekend and I think that would be a good time. Logically, I know that 2 yos don't need anything "big" for their birthdays, but for some crazy reason I feel like I have to make it a big deal. It's not so much the amount of money spent, it's more like "wow factor". Thanks for the advice!