Menu

Low-Fat Diets - what do you think of them?

After some help from the ladies here yesterday I am down to only having two concerns about my annual physical - I have high cholesterol and Triglycerides. Now the Triglycerides I believe can be dealt with by exercise, but the cholesterol has me a bit worried.

Over the years I have read a lot of personal friends debate over the low fat diet VS everything else under the sun. Julia Child lived into her nineties! How is it that the natural fats from butter and milk are bad?

Does anyone have links to articles on is a low fat diet is good, or why I should stick with my beloved salt free butter?

Honestly, I am a bit scared at the changes I'll need to do and if I can afford them.

What do your cholesterol numbers look like?

Total

LDL

HDL

Triglycerides

I ask because without knowing that, it's hard to say if you have a problem or if you really shouldn't worry too much since all those numbers factor into your total cholesterol, so if you have a really nice, high HDL, that increases your total, just as too high triglycerides do.

The other thing to keep in mind is that data shows that women tend to actually live longer with moderately high cholesterol. A study out of Norway was published a few months ago that is very intriguing (and data from over 10 years): Is the use of cholesterol in mortality risk algorithms in clinical guidelines valid? Ten years prospective data from the Norwegian HUNT 2 study

That said, your triglycerides are likely influenced by your carbohydrate consumption. In a previous post you'd noted your glucose was (I think) 97. While that's not high enough to be pre-diabetic, it's close and it indicates that your glucose levels are higher than desired since optimal is 82.

I believe that physiologically, low fat is counter productive to the issues it has been marketed to solve. It's been a sick joke; one researcher called it a Big Fat Lie. I think those who have had benefit from low fat has had the benefit due to increased veggies, reduction of junk foods, and reduction of refined carbs.

Our story: My dh used to have tremendously high triglycerides (over 1000) and moderately high cholesterol (around 230) with low HDLs. We tried the low fat diet first and after 6 or 9 months of that his trigs went down to 500. But they never went any lower, so he scrapped that diet. Years later his blood sugar showed he was pre-diabetic. He decided to try low carb--cutting out simple carbs like sugar, bread, potatoes, corn, etc. It took awhile (a couple years, but with it steadily decreasing the whole time) but his trigs are now below 100. Without meds. His total cholesterol is still about the same, but after increasing the length of his exercise sessions he's seeing some improvement in his HDL/LDL numbers.

Totally anecdotal, but my darling mil has been doing fat-free for literally decades. She is very, very disciplined about it, and also very, very disciplined about going power-walking several times a week as well as line dancing. The diet does not seem to have done ANYTHING for her. It honestly saddens me to see her trying so hard, and depriving herself so consistently, to no apparent effect. She cannot lose weight, and it doesn't seem to affect her cholesterol or her blood pressure.

I wouldn't cut out all fats, just concentrate on cutting out saturated fats (anything that is solid at room temperature, so butter would count). Smart balance type butters are good. Low fat diary is fine.

Eat lean meats.

Cut down simple carbs a lot.

Increase your fiber, fruits and veges.

Anecdotal:

I'm working on losing weight and this time, I decided not to change my foods, just my total intake. I'm also a runner, so that helps. So far in 3 weeks, I've lost 10.4 lbs. I see in my daily totals that I have a good balance of fiber, protein, carbs, and fat. I've gone the route of low-fat several times in the past and what that typically means is high sugar and cruddy flavor...and then I gain it all back. I've felt far less deprived this way, have eaten a few brownies, cookies, cake, etc. The key with this though has been to use moderation and to keep my workouts as planned.

eta: All this to say, I have no respect for the low-fat diet.

ARe you open to reading Gary Taubes' work?

It is tough to find someone who LCs (without cheating) and has triglycerides over 100. Really. Elevated triglycerides would definitely be a concern IMO. I would cut out grains and sugar as much as you possibly can.

Particle size is another concern. With high tris, most people have small particle size which is thought to be stickier and more problematic. You can look into Pattern A vs. Pattern B.

They calculate VLDL (very low density lipoprotein) using your triglyceride level. You want low VLDL since it is denser, stickier, and thought to be more problematic. If you have elevated tris, your calculated VLDL would be higher (it isn't usually directly measured using standard bloodwork).

eta: my mom did low fat for years and it just made her particle size less desirable, her tris higher, and her HDL lower. Once she incorporated plenty of natural saturated fats into her diet, her HDL shot up a LOT. Way higher than it had been on statins. As a woman, I would look into the risk associated with triglycerides and low HDL. IMO those are more concerning than total cholesterol being elevated.

Back again to add: check out Dr. Eades' website, Hyperlipid (a veterinarian who blogs about fat and diet), and Gary Taubes.

Edited by Momof3littles

Cholesterol - 204

LDL - 117

HDL - 44

Triglycerides - 213

I've been reading through the print outs the doctor gave me and largely we follow their diet suggestions. The one exception is dairy, which I buy regular versions of save the butter which is unsalted. We don't eat enough fruits and veggies and portion size may be an issue.

After some help from the ladies here yesterday I am down to only having two concerns about my annual physical - I have high cholesterol and Triglycerides. Now the Triglycerides I believe can be dealt with by exercise, but the cholesterol has me a bit worried.

Over the years I have read a lot of personal friends debate over the low fat diet VS everything else under the sun. Julia Child lived into her nineties! How is it that the natural fats from butter and milk are bad?

Does anyone have links to articles on is a low fat diet is good, or why I should stick with my beloved salt free butter?

Honestly, I am a bit scared at the changes I'll need to do and if I can afford them.

Anecdotal: I have lost a significant amount of weight twice in my adult life. Both times I went on a low fat diet and exercised. I ever had my cholesterol checked the first time but the second time my total level was just a bit over 100. My BP, blood sugar etc were all excellent.

I know many people feel that low fat doesn't work or isn't healthy, but for me it works.

Edited by Quiver0f10

Please do your own research on low fat and low carb diets.

I followed a low fat diet plan many years ago. I did not have any bloodwork done so I don't know if my blood levels improved or not. I did, however, end up with gallstones.

More recently I followed a low carb approach and my cholesterol and trig levels improved. I also was able to lose enough weight to reach my goal weight (which never happened on a low fat diet.)

The mainstream medical community is (in large part) woefully ingnorant on current dietary research - please do your own.

Best wishes.

ARe you open to reading Gary Taubes' work?

It is tough to find someone who LCs (without cheating) and has triglycerides over 100. Really.

:iagree:

I highly recommend his book.

Personally, I've never had a cholesterol, etc. problem - but my best readings were at at time in my life when I happened to be low-carb and ate liver or eggs every single morning. I was on a low-carb.high-fat diet without even thinking about it much. I avoided sugar for the most part. This was the healthiest time of my life.

This thread has info on his more helpful book and approach.

Cholesterol - 204

LDL - 117

HDL - 44

Triglycerides - 213

I've been reading through the print outs the doctor gave me and largely we follow their diet suggestions. The one exception is dairy, which I buy regular versions of save the butter which is unsalted. We don't eat enough fruits and veggies and portion size may be an issue.

Overall your numbers aren't outrageously scary.

Low Carb and Cholesterol might be a good article to start with to understand the impact carbohydrate has on your triglycerides (the only real problem you have; your HDL could be higher, but it's above 40, which is good).

A randomly controlled trial A Low-Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet versus a Low-Fat Diet To Treat Obesity and Hyperlipidemia is also good to read to start your research about what to eat.

Even if it worked for me (which it doesn't), low fat leaves me feeling hungry and deprived, so I can't stay on it.

Low sugar/low carb on the other hand gives me lots of satisfying foods to eat. So i can actually do it and be happy! :)

See, I am really confused for reading the literature. We already do whole grains, and not much processed foods. All the meat we buy is lean and I just plain don't like pork so for like soups and such we use turkey-ham rather than ham-ham.

I'm thinking that lowering the carbs and or upping the fruit/veggies plus exercise is the way I am going to go.

Thank you all for helping me figure this out.

I've basically cut grains out of my diet almost entirely at this point. No bread, rice, pasta, cakes, cookies, crackers, etc. I may very rarely have something like it, but almost never.

I don't really eat white potatoes either, though I do occasionally have sweet potatoes. I eat squash, plenty of fruits and veggies, pretty much any lean meat, poultry, seafood etc that I want.

I use butter, mayo, full fat peanut butter, coconut and olive oil, though I don't use tons and tons of it. I don't buy "lite" and "fat free" processed foods, I try to stick to whole and natural foods.

I've lost 44 lbs so far and that's only been since November. I don't weigh, measure or count anything. I don't obsess over everything I put in my mouth. I feel like this is so much easier and realistic than any other "diet" I've ever tried to follow, it's certainly going faster, and I can only hope that the benefits are longer lasting.

I've basically cut grains out of my diet almost entirely at this point. No bread, rice, pasta, cakes, cookies, crackers, etc. I may very rarely have something like it, but almost never.

I don't really eat white potatoes either, though I do occasionally have sweet potatoes. I eat squash, plenty of fruits and veggies, pretty much any lean meat, poultry, seafood etc that I want.

I use butter, mayo, full fat peanut butter, coconut and olive oil, though I don't use tons and tons of it. I don't buy "lite" and "fat free" processed foods, I try to stick to whole and natural foods.

I've lost 44 lbs so far and that's only been since November. I don't weigh, measure or count anything. I don't obsess over everything I put in my mouth. I feel like this is so much easier and realistic than any other "diet" I've ever tried to follow, it's certainly going faster, and I can only hope that the benefits are longer lasting.

You are my eating style hero. I am doing nearly the exact same thing. I started sometime after the move, graduation, and the first of the year. I'm also scale free, but the clothes I was in when I started are too big, and the next size down are comfortable, and in some cases, roomy.

I have been very low carb for 1 1/2 years, and it has been wonderful. However, low carb works your adrenals pretty hard, so if you have adrenal issues (I do) you need some carbs! Carbs are one of 'big three' needed to live.

I just bought this book out of curiosity; I'll report back when I read it!

Same here, but "only" down 36 pounds since Thanksgiving. ;) I do eat occasional whole grains - brown rice, quinoa, and so forth, but by and large my diet right now is lean protein, good fats (which does include some sat. fat from real butter, coconut oil & the like), and LOTS of produce.

My biggest issue with "low fat" diets is all the artificial things that people use as substitutes. I believe firmly in whole, real foods, which yes, includes real mayo, real peanut butter, nuts, avocados, extra virgin olive oil, etc. My mom has eaten only real food for decades, and her dr is always pleasantly surprised at her good colesterol and triglyceride levels, as opposed to my dad who eats out of packages, cans, etc. and has done the lowfat thing for years. He has high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and is on loads of medications.

This is pretty much exactly what I'm doing. I've only been on it for about 3 weeks now, but I am losing weight. I have more energy, I feel healthier, I'm never hungry, and I no longer crave starchy stuff. I rarely snack because I'm always full,and I've started decreasing my portions because I feel full on less food. I eat all the fruit, vegetables, eggs, and meat that I want, with some nuts and a little dairy. I'm not exercising any more than my normal (I am normally fairly active), yet the weight is slowly slipping away. I'm currently cutting back on the dairy, actually, and I find I feel better without it.

In the past I had tried to cut back on grains and sugars, and found myself craving them. I seem to do better if I just cut them out, because after the first week (and yes, the first week was hard) I no longer crave or really desire them at all.

I'm using a lot of paleo recipes and cookbooks (though I do not eat strictly paleo).

this is what I really need to do. I've been indulging WAY too much on simple carbs. It makes me gain weight, tired, and depressed. Yesterday I bought more fresh veggies, fruit, and lean meat, so hopefully I can go more toward less simple carbs.

Yeah, I have to add, I feel pretty good these days! I think I have more energy overall than I used to. I DON'T feel hungry all the time. I don't feel like I have to snack several times throughout the day and night like I used to. If I ever do snack, it's on some cheese, fruit or nuts.

I used to believe I could NEVER be one of those people who could eat until I was "full" and then stop, and lose weight. I always said, "If I could do that, I wouldn't be overweight."

But once I stopped that cycle of carb addiction, I DID become one of those people. It IS possible.

I feel like I can do this for the long haul, not just as a quick fix, and that's key, because if it were just a quick fix, I'd eventually stop doing it, and in the past when I did a quick fix thing that I eventually stopped, I also gained all my weight back plus some every.single.time. I don't want that to happen this time. I just want to be a normal person with a normal body weight who can eat pretty normally and so on.

P.S. It's also true that when I was doing low fat/fat free type of diets, I was eating a lot of processed junk and a lot of sugars and a lot of sodium and I was still eating a decent amount of carbs, and I was losing weight much more slowly, and I was often hungry, and I could never maintain that lifestyle for long, and I'd eventually just lose my motivation and give up and then where would I be? I'd be in a position where I hadn't learned anything and I'd just start going back to old habits and putting it all back on. I feel like what I'm doing now has taught me a better, more realistic way of eating for the long term. And I know to a lot of you it might not sound realistic (what, give up carbs?!) but once you break that cycle of addiction...and it really is for some of us... it becomes a lot easier than it sounds at first.