Menu

What's your favorite 2nd grade reading/phonics curriculum

CalicoKat

I don't love what I've done 3x's before and I am looking for something new. But I don't know what! Please share your favorite.

He's 7, he can read smoothly and easily. He's doing MFW 1st grade right now. It's not too hard and not too easy for him. This child doesn't seem to be allergic to his pencil yet either.

Thanks. :001_smile:

my son is in grade 2 now & he uses hooked on phonics grade 2, and we also use AAS 2 (which reinforces phonics nicely). he has finished HOP now, and i plan to start him in HOP master reader next. depending on how well your son reads, HOP 2 may be unnecessary and you could just use master reader. these are my favorites for this age.:) hth.

2nd grade both times I have used Rod and Staff English, phonics, and handwriting. I am doing the spelling currently with my 2nd grader (didn't need it the first time around with my 1st 2nd grader.) And I would do this combo again with any other upcoming 2nd graders I would ever have. Phonics is VERY thorough. The English is very gentle.

I don't use a 2nd grade reading program. Just lots of reading from reading lists.

my son is in grade 2 now & he uses hooked on phonics grade 2, and we also use AAS 2 (which reinforces phonics nicely). he has finished HOP now, and i plan to start him in HOP master reader next. depending on how well your son reads, HOP 2 may be unnecessary and you could just use master reader. these are my favorites for this age.:) hth.

I am also using HOP 2nd grade now and plan master reader after for my younger DD. She loves put stickers on her progress chart and get mad when she doesn't get to put one on

For phonics, either The Writing Road to Reading or Dancing Bears, and lots of readers from the library. I bought most of the readers that are listed in SL's Readers 2 package, and the ones we read were a good fit. After awhile I just started checking books out of the library.

I have used the Adventures in Phonics series from Christian Liberty Press with both of my dds. It's inexpensive, no bells and whistles, but is more challenging than some of the other programs I have seen. Both girls were early readers (fluent in K). They have both worked through Adventures pretty independently, but it is still challenging enough for them so they don't get bored. The workbooks are very plain (no color), but my kids never seemed to mind. My youngest is just completing the 1st grade level, and will move on to grade 2 in the fall. Of all the subjects we do, CLP Phonics is the only one I have stuck with all the way. :)

I'm sold on Spell to Write and Read for the long haul. I've done more traditional phonics programs with students (when I was teaching as a profession, not a hs'ing mom :)) and I just love the foundation that it provides for spelling and language arts. The teacher's guide is really not user friendly, and it did take significant prep on my part to figure out the program before implementing it. The yahoo group was a HUGE help to me in that area. Now that we are really moving forward with it, I just love it and won't switch for anything.

I have used the Adventures in Phonics series from Christian Liberty Press with both of my dds. It's inexpensive, no bells and whistles, but is more challenging than some of the other programs I have seen. Both girls were early readers (fluent in K). They have both worked through Adventures pretty independently, but it is still challenging enough for them so they don't get bored. The workbooks are very plain (no color), but my kids never seemed to mind. My youngest is just completing the 1st grade level, and will move on to grade 2 in the fall. Of all the subjects we do, CLP Phonics is the only one I have stuck with all the way. :)

:iagree:We have done this too with great results. Love Adventures in Phonics!

I have used a few things, but for my upcoming 2nd grader and every 2nd grader hereafter - we will use the Phonics Road to Spelling & Reading.

Christian Liberty Press Nature Readers and Elson Readers book 2 as his literature selections. Of course, a lot of other books, too!

I'm sold on Spell to Write and Read for the long haul. I've done more traditional phonics programs with students (when I was teaching as a profession, not a hs'ing mom :)) and I just love the foundation that it provides for spelling and language arts. The teacher's guide is really not user friendly, and it did take significant prep on my part to figure out the program before implementing it. The yahoo group was a HUGE help to me in that area. Now that we are really moving forward with it, I just love it and won't switch for anything.

As this previous poster already mention, Spell to Write and Read!