Menu

Looking for an inexpensive, secular science program that is not difficult for the mom

Mom to Aly

:DI know this is a lot to ask, but I'm a single mom, hate science (my dad was a nuclear physicist, determined we should all be scientists, and shoved it down our throats, need I say more?), but my daughter adores it! We've done most of the stuff we can read about, and simple experiments, but she is beyond ready for more, I just can't afford a lot, and was hoping for something I can get that would have most included, where I wouldn't have to purchase the entire year at once. It needs to be secular, can you recommend anything? We've done a ton of bio, but what I think she would truly love is chem (much harder to read about, much more fun to do!).

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Kiran

Oops, sorry, she is 9, but, looking at some of the stuff around, we've done most of the 4th, 5th and some 6th that you can for reading, but not experiments.

What age?

I'm loving My Pals Are Here Science from Singaporemath.com. It meets all my current requirements: secular, not overly involved, some hands on work, sound science, open and go. It starts out with a fair amount of biology though.

Prentice Hall Science Explorer gets my vote. It is straightforward, with simple to complex experiments throughout. So far, I have been able to do most of them with simple household items. You can buy the texts used on Amazon.

I like using both the TM and student text, since I am not a science-oriented mom.

Our faves:

Singapore MPH series

Prentice-Hall Science Explorer

Rainbow (not strictly secular but minimal religious content)

*We also have Unitedstreaming and in conjunction with our Science Explorer readings we watch the videos-US has thousands!

I wouldn't put it in the inexpensive column, but the Supercharged Science kits are aimed at the kids - she does a great job on the video lessons, then the kits have the stuff for them to grab it and build!

We are awaiting our mega kit - it's due to arrive this week!! We spilt the cost with grandma & grandpa, so we will leave some kits down there.

http://www.superchargedscience.com/

If you are looking for an elementary program, we liked NOEO Science.

The program uses a lot of "real" books and even comes with all of the stuff you need for the experiments. Noeoscience.com It follows a classical / Charlotte Mason approach and was designed by homeschoolers.

They have chemistry and physics.

Good luck!

-Deborah

Enjoying our homeschooling journey.

Along for the ride...

dd (11)

dd (8 in Aug)

ds (5 in Aug)

ds (1)

along with RS4K Pre-chem level 1.

Super Science Concoctions, a great book with experiments and explanations:

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Science-Concoctions-Mysterious-Williamson/dp/0824968034/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213726587&sr=8-2

Fizz, Bubble & Flash, a book on the elements with experiments.

http://www.amazon.com/Fizz-Bubble-Flash-Explorations-Hands/dp/188559383X/ref=pd_sim_b_title_12

ETA: Both of these are secular and fairly cheap at Amazon.

For economy and quality, Adventues in Science ($10 at Rainbow) gets my vote. The materials to do the experiments are there, along with clear directions and background. You can fill in with a science encyclopedia or library books if you want more vocabulary, but there is a ton of info in the Adventures in Science kits!

I can recommend: Color and Light, The Way Things Work, Magnets and Electricity. Pick a couple and see what you think! They are a great buy at $10! They make a great kit/spine all in one.

I suggest two books that are inexpensive that Rainbow Resource Center carries:

Elements Intro to Chemistry $28.50 and as a follow-up to it, Carbon Chemistry: Introduction to Organic Chemistry, $28.25, both by Ellen McHenry.

I also like the Adventures with Atoms and Molecules books by Mebane and Ribolt that WTM recommends. There are actually 8 of these in the series and lots of libraries carry them. They are more experiment than curriculum, although they do provide thoughtful explanations of why things happen the way they do.

I second Noeo Science. While we haven't used the chemistry kit (we're in line to do chemistry this year), the Biology I kit was great. I love Noeo but also need something afordable next year, so I was going to buy the teacher's manual and Young Scientist's Club experiment kits only, and find the books at the library.

If your dd is reading at that level, I would recommend Chemistry II. www.noeoscience.com

For earth science/astronomy this year we're using Science in a Nutshell kits (because Noeo doesn't have a seperate curriculum for earth/astronomy) which are also very open-and-go with most everything included. They may not be as in-depth as the daughter of a physicist may want for her child, but you can always find great books at the library to go with it. And they can be found very affordably - I got two on ebay for $20 and that's all we'll need this year. www.deltaeducation.com.

HTH

• 2 years later...

My favorites so far have been Real science odyssey which you can buy the experiment kit from homesciencetools.com and the Nancy larson science. The main reason we are using the RSO and not nancy larson is my desire to stick with the classical cycle for science rather then a mix up of the different sciences in one year. RSO is a lot cheaper too :tongue_smilie:

I love, love, love Oak Meadow. We tried a lot of different science programs and I find that Oak Meadow is the best.

It has weekly lessons that can be broken into days. Thought provoking questions, experiments with stuff you have on hand and interesting project ideas.

K-4 is combined in the same syllabus but starting in 5th it is seperate. Sometimes you can find the syllabus very inexpensively used. :001_smile:

Why does this happen that threads this old suddenly get started up again? I've seen it every once in awhile and was curious what caused it.

If you do a search on a keyword, then threads of all ages come up. So I think someone does a keyword search, sees an interesting thread and responds to it, probably without realizing how old the thread is.

• 10 months later...
Why does this happen that threads this old suddenly get started up again? I've seen it every once in awhile and was curious what caused it.

Whenever I ask a question or someone else does, key words from the title appear in similar threads that can be found at the bottom of the page.

Hope that makes sense.

Anyway-that's how I found this very thread!:D