Menu

Does anyone not regret pulling kids out early?

I think the morning feed chores will be a much better part of their education than you can know. I wish they had been part of our homeschool life.

Oh! I wish I could just and meet you for coffee for a few hours! These are the things I do not think about. ;)

I stayed up last night way over thinking everything. Role playing conversations with teachers or the Principal that will probably never happen. Ack! I need to snap out of this, happy thoughts, right?!

I did the same thing over Christmas break, thinking about how I was going to have to call the kids in on the first day back to school after break, how I'd have to go in AGAIN and fill out the withdrawal papers, how the school would be mad at me, etc. Over and over it went through my head. I've done it two ways now--first time I gave the school a week's notice. Second time I gave no notice. They just didn't go back. I think a little notice was best. If tomorrow is their last day, I'd go in first thing in the morning and fill out the paperwork so that your kids can at least clean out their desks, turn in any library books, and get any papers/stuff from their teachers. Basically so they can have closure vs never getting to say goodbye to their friends.

But I can guarantee that whatever is going on in your head is NOT what the reality will be. You'll wake up on Monday morning and think--what the heck have I gotten myself into? Am I crazy? And then you'll start HSing again and it will feel like a big weight has been lifted off your shoulders. Your life will be busy and crazy, but so much more peaceful and "right." You'll realize you've learned some things from their being in school and that the time wasn't completely wasted. Just give yourself time to get back into the routine of HSing again. If your house is a disaster next week, don't be surprised.:tongue_smilie:

I pulled my daughter out in the middle of a school year when I decided to homeschool. It was at the end of March, with only like 2 1/2 months of school left. I figured I knew I wanted to homeschool, I knew my daughter would prefer to be home, what was the point of delaying? We were both eager to get started, I saw no point in her having to stay there any longer than necessary.

So I pulled her.

That was three years ago this month, and I have NO regrets whatsoever about not "finishing out the year," waiting, whatever. If I regret anything, it's not having done it sooner.

Life's way too short for a child to spend a minute longer than they have to in a miserable place, feeling miserable.

WARNING!!! Complete and total vent ahead. :mad:

Here is how the afternoon went. Picked up the three boys from the bus stop. Asked how their day was. Ds6 was punched by a 2nd grader.....twice. He was the one who did not want to be homeschooled, now he does. Twins found out they passed a test and are therefore being granted a day off school tomorrow. Now, school is wonderful! They are praised and do not have to go.

We then drove to the school to pick up dd10 from tutoring. Her teacher came to the van to tell me how wonderful she is doing, and that she will be coming home with 5 A's, 1 B, and 2 C's on tomorrow's report card. She has also started a really good friendship with another girl who rides horses....who just happens to be her math teacher's dd. (I just started hearing about this girl over the last couple days, but wasn't paying attention, because I thought it was another girl who was having a lot of behavioral problems. Now, I realize it is a completely different girl...they have a lot in common...and ERRRRGH!)

Have I mentioned that my kids really value public recognition? So between dd's teacher and the Principal announcing my twins names over the intercom...school is the best thing since swiss cheese. :tongue_smilie:

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I need wisdom. If you are so inclined please pray that I figure out the right decision for my family. I hate to say pray dd has a bad day tomorrow, but well, ya know...:tongue_smilie:

Thankfully, next week is spring break.

Edited by simka2

You as the teacher enter their studies with love and concern for their very souls hearts, and complete future. That is as real as it gets.

And it is the place you come from as their educator every time they sit with you or discover with you. And it's coming from the heart of a mother, their mother.

I think you might want to think over a "coming home" party.

Streamers, cakes, games, friends, presents, the whole works. That'll get them excited.

People have going "back" to school parties all the time.

Why not have a coming home party too?

I will always regert putting my kids in ps. It was the worst thing I ever did for them and our family. Peer pressure, bullying, attitudes, missing mom, better education at home..... We faced ALL of this.

If your kids are crying about going to school, I would bring them home and never look back. Your time with your kids is SHORT. Make the most of it. Enjoy them all you can. If you can't do all the work alone, DON'T. Outsource some of it. There are many options.

I believe I will regret putting my boys in ps until the day I die. NOTHING good came of it other than the break I had. I wished I had out sourced years ago. My oldest learned how UGLY people can be, my youngest learned how he could be a "cool kid". ( hoping he matures and realizes how stupid it all was, nd how UGLY it made him) and it dramatically changed the dynamics of our family.

If I were you, I would pull them out and never look back.

I pulled my daughter out in the middle of a school year when I decided to homeschool. It was at the end of March, with only like 2 1/2 months of school left. I figured I knew I wanted to homeschool, I knew my daughter would prefer to be home, what was the point of delaying? We were both eager to get started, I saw no point in her having to stay there any longer than necessary.

So I pulled her.

That was three years ago this month, and I have NO regrets whatsoever about not "finishing out the year," waiting, whatever. If I regret anything, it's not having done it sooner.

Life's way too short for a child to spend a minute longer than they have to in a miserable place, feeling miserable.

This is EXCELLENT!!!

Here is how the afternoon went. Picked up the three boys from the bus stop. Asked how their day was. Ds6 was punched by a 2nd grader.....twice. He was the one who did not want to be homeschooled, now he does. Twins found out they passed a test and are therefore being granted a day off school tomorrow. Now, school is wonderful! They are praised and do not have to go.

We then drove to the school to pick up dd10 from tutoring. Her teacher came to the van to tell me how wonderful she is doing, and that she will be coming home with 5 A's, 1 B, and 2 C's on tomorrow's report card. She has also started a really good friendship with another girl who rides horses....who just happens to be her math teacher's dd. (I just started hearing about this girl over the last couple days, but wasn't paying attention, because I thought it was another girl who was having a lot of behavioral problems. Now, I realize it is a completely different girl...they have a lot in common...and ERRRRGH!)

Have I mentioned that my kids really value public recognition? So between dd's teacher and the Principal announcing my twins names over the intercom...school is the best thing since swiss cheese. :tongue_smilie:

I need wisdom. If you are so inclined please pray that I figure out the right decision for my family. I hate to say pray dd has a bad day tomorrow, but well, ya know...:tongue_smilie:

It is SO easy to get emotionally sucked in as a parent.

Look at the big picture, not the little pros and cons.:001_smile:

Sometimes as parents, we have to let our children be a little unhappy about a situation because we know that the long term results are so much for the good. You *know* that homeschooling is the best thing for your children, that is why you are doing it. Yes, they will have days when they won't like being home schooled...but you, as the parent, KNOW it's the right thing. So give 'em a big hug and don't second guess yourself based on fleeting issues.

Sometimes as parents, we have to let our children be a little unhappy about a situation because we know that the long term results are so much for the good. You *know* that homeschooling is the best thing for your children, that is why you are doing it. Yes, they will have days when they won't like being home schooled...but you, as the parent, KNOW it's the right thing. So give 'em a big hug and don't second guess yourself based on fleeting issues.

Thank you. I needed to read it. It is what I have been telling myself all evening. It is time for me to put my big girl panties on!

I love the idea One*mom gave of doing a homeschool party.

As if the "Twlight Zone" has not already visited me today, dd10 has been in tears for the last 10 min, because she does not want to go to school tomorrow. Turns out that in her "teacher admiration glow," she forgot there was a new girl in her class that threatened to punch her in the face multiple times today. :glare:

I will survive until tomorrow!!!! :D

I figured I would let you all know, since you have been graciously holding my hand as I walk back through this process. :)