Menu

What are you using for Logic? (7th/8th grades)

We used Art of Argument (informal logic) in 7th and Discovery of Deduction (formal logic)in 8th.

We're using Art of Argument now and planning to move onto Discovery of Deduction. I really like them.

One note of caution though -- the Art of Argument does delve into some topics not suitable for younger or very sheltered kids. My son was reading a section to himself and popped out with, "Mom, what's prostitution?" Eek. However, when I gave a very brief explanation, he said, "Oh, like Rahab who hid the spies on her roof in Jericho?" So the concept wasn't completely unfamiliar to him.

And who said Catholics don't know their Bible? :lol:

I used Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox with ds in 7th grade and was very happy with them. I was going to use Traditional Logic this year, but thought it looked a little too challenging for him, so we're holding off on it for a while. It does look like an excellent book, though, and would be great for a more motivated student.

We started with Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox. My Ds found them fun and easy. We are now doing the Art of Argument.

We also do Logic and critical thinking games and workbooks.

We will probably move to Discovery of Deduction or Traditional Logic next year.

I thought that AoA was revised to take out all the controversial topics? I have it on order now under that assumption....

I had heard that too.. but if you want to know for sure, I'd encourage you to give them a call and ask. I phoned up from the UK with questions about Latin for Children, and they were very friendly and helpful. :001_smile:

I thought that AoA was revised to take out all the controversial topics? I have it on order now under that assumption....

I bought mine last fall from CAP. I haven't heard whether it was revised after that or not.

The reference to prostitution was in the section on arguments of age, pointing out that "just because prostitution is called the world's oldest profession, doesn't make it a good one." Or something like that.

If I were to use one of these for my 8th graders which would you choose?

Art of Argument or Discovery of Deduction? Also of these which would you use first? Fallacy Detective or Thinking Toolbox? Am I right in assuming that I could use AoA or DoD along with one of the later two?

Edited by athomemom
I need help...

Art of Argument is supposed to come before Discovery of Deduction. Fallacy Detective and AoA are both studies of informal logic.

Okay, so you wouldn't use them together? Do you know if DoD could be used in 9th grade? Trying to figure this all out. :confused:

Okay, so you wouldn't use them together? Do you know if DoD could be used in 9th grade? Trying to figure this all out. :confused:

I don't think using both FD and AoA is necessary. They cover the same stuff. I think AoA covers it better, but they are similar in nature. I suspect DoD would be appropriate as a 1 semester high school class. Traditional, formal logic is usually not taught, in my experience, when it is taught at all, until high school. We got about 2 weeks in the middle of Algebra 2, as I recall. DoD is comparable, at least in subject matter (I haven't compared closely though) to MP's Traditional Logic and that is often used as a high school course.

I don't think using both FD and AoA is necessary. They cover the same stuff. I think AoA covers it better, but they are similar in nature. I suspect DoD would be appropriate as a 1 semester high school class. Traditional, formal logic is usually not taught, in my experience, when it is taught at all, until high school. We got about 2 weeks in the middle of Algebra 2, as I recall. DoD is comparable, at least in subject matter (I haven't compared closely though) to MP's Traditional Logic and that is often used as a high school course.

Thanks! The books mentioned all look good. It's going to be tough to decide. Have you decided on a Logic course for hs?

Thanks! The books mentioned all look good. It's going to be tough to decide. Have you decided on a Logic course for hs?

We're slowly doing AoA now and will follow up with DoD. My plan, at present, is to move on to MP's Traditional Logic in high school, if we decide to follow up with more logic. I'm not really sure whether we will or not though.