Menu

Best college admissions books

Hoggirl

I think The Gatekeepers is worth reading as is The Price of Admissions, but technically none of these are truly "college admissions" books, they're sociology books about the college admissions process.

But do you think they are helpful in terms of the process? Meaning do they provide insights that make one more savvy navigating the college admissions process? Or do you think the two I have already read cover all of that adequately enough?

Hi Cynthia!

My favorite college essay writing book is On Writing the College Application Essay by Harry Bauld. He gives lots of terrific idea-generating advice & my dd enjoyed working through it.

For general college app advice (not homeschool specific), I like the books by Michelle Hernandez: Acing the College Application and A is for Admission).

I like Cafi Cohen's books for homeschool-specific inspiration: And What About College? and Homeschoolers' College Admissions Handbook. They're a little dated, but we still found them useful.:)

One gem that I rarely see mentioned is What You Don't Know Can Keep You Out of College. Lots of food for thought on how to approach essays, interviews, and the other subjective parts of the application process.

Books about the college application process.

I found this book to give a good overview of the college application process. Note: it's not geared towards homeschoolers though the topic of homeschooling is addressed. It's what I'd call a practical, rather than a philosophical, guide.

How to Get Into the Top Colleges by Richard Montauk and Krista Klein

Don't let the title of the book mislead you as there is good advice for all prospective college students whether they are aiming high or not.

college application essay writing books???

My favorite college essay writing book is On Writing the College Application Essay by Harry Bauld. He gives lots of terrific idea-generating advice & my dd enjoyed working through it.

I'll second Bauld's book.

A few other books worth reading (these are not on essays) --

How to Be a High School Superstar: A Revolutionary Plan to Get into College by Standing Out (Without Burning Out) by Cal Newport

and, while I don't care much for the author's tone,

What High Schools Don't Tell You (And Other Parents Don't Want You toKnow): Create a Long-Term Plan for Your 7th to 10th Grader for Getting into the Top Colleges by Elizabeth Wissner-Gross

What Colleges Don't Tell You (And Other Parents Don't Want You to Know): 272 Secrets for Getting Your Kid into the Top Schools by Elizabeth Wissner-Gross

Regards,

Kareni

But do you think they are helpful in terms of the process? Meaning do they provide insights that make one more savvy navigating the college admissions process? Or do you think the two I have already read cover all of that adequately enough?

The Gatekeepers would be helpful. The thing I've gotten out of these sorts of books is to understand why somethings are done a certain way and to understand that asking the wrong questions can get you half answers that aren't particularly helpful.

To me, this seemed to combine the wisdom of these boards, College Confidential, and various consumer-oriented articles I had read. It also has some new facts and resources I had not known about before.

The College Solution A Guide for Everyone Looking for the Right School at the Right Price by Lynn O'Shaughnessy

To me, this seemed to combine the wisdom of these boards, College Confidential, and various consumer-oriented articles I had read. It also has some new facts and resources I had not known about before.

The College Solution A Guide for Everyone Looking for the Right School at the Right Price by Lynn O'Shaughnessy

There is a new edition coming out at the end of May. I pre-ordered it.