Menu

? of CW users

Parabola

When my son started Aesop, I did do another grammar, BUT only because ds had already advanced beyond the Aesop level grammar. (If he were to have started Aesop in 3rd and we hadn't done formal grammar yet, then Aesop with its included grammar instruction/application would have been fine all by itself).

Once we hit Homer, we did not do an additional grammar (but we do get plenty of grammar in our Latin work, also). We did, however, have on hand R&S 8 and Harvey's Elementary Grammar, so that if we hit a snag, we had good references.

Agreeing with Susan...

I have 1 kid in Aesop and 2 kids in Homer. I really feel we get enough grammar between CW and our Latin studies. At some point (early high school, probably), I may have them work through something like Analytical Grammar.

I use R&S grammar along with CW. Last year we did Aesop B and this year we are finishing Homer A and Poetry for Beginners A. With Aesop B my oldest son did R&S grammar 5, and my middle son did grammar 4. With Homer and Poetry for Beg A my oldest son did grammar 6, and my middle son did grammar 5. The only thing that we have not been prepared for is the diagramming at the end of Homer A (week 17 & 18). These weeks included diagramming of participles, so I just gave them the diagram skeleton and let them fill in the words.

We also study Latin & Greek, but I really think R&S grammar has been the best preparation for CW (especially Homer). My boys have not had any problems with the parsing or the diagramming with the exception of 2 sentences as noted above.

We do GUM along with CW. It's Ds' (10 yrs) strongest subject area, he treats the GUM books like a fun activity book he does on his own. Occasionally he asks a question, but mostly motors right along.

We have done Aesop A & B and Beginning Poetry A, will be starting Homer in the fall. He will be doing the GUM Complete Middle Level Program book. Since GUM is something he largely handles himself, it is a nice thing for him to have when I'm working with his brother.

Specifically with Aesop, I think the GUM books gave him broader exposure to grammatical terms, but less depth. I'm hearing that it won't be the same with Homer, I guess I'll find out!

I started CW with an older student. My dd finished her R&S6 early (for the year), so we started CW for Older Beginners at that point. I do plan on having her do R&S7 next year, along with completing CW Older Child, but we may not go through it full steam. That will be okay with me. I do want her to complete her grammar sequence, though.

When we did the full CW program, I didn't add anything else for grammar (we were doing Aesop). Because of time constraints, I moved dd to an online program for language arts. Next year, she'll continue with that program (which includes grammar), but I will add back in the portions of CW that I think will be most beneficial to her (Imitation and Analysis/Narration and the Writing Project). One grammar program is plenty for my family.

Blessings,

Laura

I've really appreciated all the replies too. I'm looking for ways to maximize my time but it's hard to let go of "subjects" that I know we need to cover. Surely with Latin, CW and spelling we don't actually need to continue with separate grammar! But then that item doesn't appear on my list so it looks like I'm missing something. :glare:

If you just use CW you really aren't discontinuing grammar. It is continued. Aesop incorporates the grammar lessons in each week. So they will learn what the parts of speech, for example, and spend lots of time finding them throught the course.

My oldest did R&S Eng 3 with Aseop.

My next ds did FLL before CW Aesop. Then he did Classical Conversation- Foundations (which memorizes Eng grammar terms) along with Aesop. Oh, we also used Mary Daly's First Book of Diagramming, as suggested by CW.

My next ds will finnish FLL this summer and do CW Aesop along with Foundations Eng memory work. And probably the same for my youngest dd who is only 3 yrs old at this point.

My 8th grade dd and my 7th grade ds will do CW for older beginners next year... skipping some of the Aesop work. They will use Harvey's grammar since it's tied in so well.

Ok, so if you just go with CW's grammar and nothing else, how would you describe the level of instruction your child will have upon completing the whole CW course?

Does CW provide a strong solid base in the fundamentals of grammar? Or does it go beyond that and provide a broad, in-depth course beyond what most would consider fundamentals? How rigorous is it, I think is what I'm asking.