Menu

what IS it with Spongebob?

I really think Spongebob is a grotesquely ugly thing and it bothers me that I see the character everywhere. I can not leave the house without seeing this cartoon. He's on shampoo bottles, clothing items, towels, and I even occasionally see him when I'm online. I cringe when I see that face because it is just ugly. Some people tell me the cartoon is funny. I tried watching a small portion once and I was not amused.

So, can some one please tell me why he is so popular that it's on everything?

My dd7 and dh love spongebob but I have to admit that I am not particularly entralled either so I cannot explain the appeal. The humor is very slapstick.

I do have to admit that I would probably find disney princesses or barbie even more annoying though.

I used to think Spongebob was dumb..I would always tell my friends he looks like a moldy piece of cheese. I didn't get it...

But, actually , after watching some episodes, I found the show to be hilarious. It grew on me. I love me some Spongebob! LOL.

I won't bore you by explaining how I was "forced" but anyway-other posters are correct. SB does tackle some real issues. In one of my favorite episodes, SpongeBob and Patrick adopt a baby and SpongeBob becomes a "stay at home mom" while Patrick works. SB copes with his responsibilities by first trying to do everything, and wearing himself out, trying to extract promises from Patrick to help out and not go out after work, etc.

It really does tackle real issues and is not just a dumb retelling of a superhero story or bizarre take on modern childhood like so many other cartoons.

I really think Spongebob is a grotesquely ugly thing and it bothers me that I see the character everywhere. I can not leave the house without seeing this cartoon. He's on shampoo bottles, clothing items, towels, and I even occasionally see him when I'm online. I cringe when I see that face because it is just ugly. Some people tell me the cartoon is funny. I tried watching a small portion once and I was not amused.

:iagree:

Not for me or mine.

People (including myself) love him because he's cute, funny and a sweet and caring friend. I don't understand why people don't like him! :confused:

We don't watch TV. I'm not going to watch an episode or two just to see him. I think he's ugly and don't understand why I have to see him every.single.time I leave the house. Seriously. He's in the grocery store on yogurt containers, on little kids backpacks, bumper stickers, everything.

It's ridiculous.

I've never seen so much cartoon marketing, not even Disney Princess.

So do all these people that love Spongebob so much, actually buy the products his picture is plastered on?

So do all these people that love Spongebob so much, actually buy the products his picture is plastered on?

Um, no, because that would be shallow and facile and a bunch of other adjectives? I buy products because I like/need/want them, not because of who or what markets them.

And BTW, Spongebob is dorky looking, but that's part of his charm, IMO. He is "ugly," naive, has an annoying voice, and is childish. However, he's also warm, caring, hard-working, and extremely devoted and loyal to his friends. I like the message the show conveys--it's not about looks, it's about the whole package--abilities, personality, etc.

The reason you keep seeing SpongeBob images around has little to do with the actual character or show and loads to do with the talent of the marketing department. I have read in many professional advertising publications that usually the cartoon or show itself garners only a small portion of the income. The lion's share is made through licensing the use of the character's image to companies that make various products - everything from clothing and linens to action figures and greeting cards.

I have a bad attitude about the use of licensed character images. I have always said that if they want me to parade their image around, in essence advertising for them, then they can darn well pay me for it. The idea of me paying them for the privilege of sporting their image isn't even an option!

Apparently I cannot see past the crudeness to see the good character things other folks are mentioning. :confused: I guess in general I try to immerse myself and my dc in things that uplift rather than debase, and Spongebob just doesn't make the cut.

In other words, I share the OP's view. ;) It's ugly in so many ways, and I wish it would just go away.

DH used to watch Spongebob even before he had kids so it's still watched at our house. It certainly isn't the best of whats available on tv but I don't think it's the worst either.

I don't notice Spongebob being marketed more than other kid's characters. I'm not against license products - I get what the kids like as long as they are decent and no rude sayings - so they have Spongebob, Mario Brothers, Sonic, Hello Kitty, Princesses, Cars, Toy Story, Perry the Platapus, Phineas and Ferb, Scooby Doo, Tom & Jerry, Garfield, Tinkerbell/Fairies, Jack Skellington and Eagles football.