Menu

Washington People: Have you done Barb Shelton's home qualifying course?

What did you think of it?

Or what qualifying course is the best?

I don't currently "qualify" to homeschool and need to now because we are leaving the virtual academy we are using this year.

Edited by joannqn

I did mine at the local community college. You will probably find it overkill since you have experience under your belt. But wouldn't hurt to take it. You would fulfill your qualification and you might get a gem or two.

Only one parent has to qualify. And it doesn't have to be the one teaching. You're good.

Really? Where did you find this little bit of information? I was only being silly because I did not expect that to be true. The way the law is written it sounds like the one providing the instruction has to be qualified.

Time4Learning.com states that if either parent has the college credit, you qualify. Of course, I don't know if they would count as a final authority.

I could have sworn that back when I started this 10 years ago that it specifically said either parent but looking at the law, it does seem to imply that it is the parent doing the actual teaching. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=28A.225.010

I went through the course when we first moved here - about 7 years ago. I don't know if it has changed since then, but it was easy enough to do. I don't remember being required to read the Pearls' book, maybe it is just on a suggested reading list?

I did the by mail version. It was a series of audiotapes that I was required to listen to, then I had to write two essays about homeschooling and review a homeschooling book.

As I had already been h'schooling for over 10 years, yes, I found it mostly review. Overall, it was a painless way to fulfill the WA state requirement. hth

Interesting answer to this question about which parent must qualify:

The law does not specify which parent needs the 45 college credits, and provides no mechanism for the state to check and see if either parent qualifies.

When I asked for more clarification, I got back more details:

There doesn't seem to be any consensus on the college hours. I agree that the intent was almost certainly that the parent who is doing the hands-on teaching be the parent with the college credits. In earlier conversations with the folks who were party to drafting the law, the WA law was drawn largely to pacify the public schools who were upset that "rank amateurs" could just go around doing what they required certification to do, and the concession back to the homeschooling community was to not provide a mechanism to check and see if homeschoolers were in compliance or not.

*I* would go with letting it mean either parent since it's not spelled out. It's not like you ever have to prove anything to anyone and the law is ambiguous. I think you're fine with having it be one of the two of you with the college credits.