11th grade future attorney

Trig & Pre-Calc / dual credit at community college - 1 credit

Spanish I & II / dual credit at community college - 2 credits

study at home for AP Gov't exams, both U.S. and Comparative - 1 credit

modern history (at home - haven't decided on text, will go w/gov't) - 1 credit

Great books study - 1 credit

Composition (lots of lit. analysis, timed essays and thesis papers) - 1 credit

Debate (he takes this REALLY seriously) and speeches - .5 credit

I think I'll have him wait and take his 4th science over the summer or his senior year. I'll probably go light on history to really concentrate on writing.

10 grade - undecided, possibly engineering, but leaning toward liberal arts

Algebra II (Saxon) - 1 credit

Chemistry & lab at local class (instruction is just average) - 1.5 credits

Spanish II (Rosetta Stone) - 1 credit

study at home for AP Gov't exams, both U.S. and Comparative - 1 credit

modern history (at home - haven't decided on text, will go w/gov't) - 1 credit

Great books (using some of Omnibus & some GreatBooks.com) - 1 credit

Composition (similar to above) - 1 credit

Debate (he loves it, too) - .5

Is this do-able? Am I missing anything?

A couple of questions about credits. I think your plan looks great BTW. My boys took Spanish I and II at the community college this year, but I only counted it as 1 credit, not two. And are you sure that your composition and Great Books credit will be two credits and not one for English? My English credits normally include 8-10 novels, Analytical Grammar or some other grammar program, vocabulary, timed writing and essays and I just give one credit.

It looks like a fun year!

I also would only give 1 credit for the Chemistry. Chem with lab is typically a 1 credit high school course. Although, I'm sure you can find it done differently. If you want to assign 1.5 credits, you'll need to make sure that it is really taking that much time and effort.

You're right - Chemistry & lab is only 1 credit.

Spanish I & II at the community college are actually 2 separate high school credits in Texas.

I've got to look into the English/comp thing.

Thanks for the input!

Do any of you have kids that have studied for the AP on their own? How much time does it take? We've done so much government-related study already, I'd like to think the government test prep will be relatively easy for them. I haven't gathered the resources for this, yet.

I hate to have ds skip science all year, but I'm afraid it might be too much on top of the two college classes. He really doesn't want to study Physics at home since he can take it at comm college, but 3 college classes it just too much for his first full year of dual credit.

Spanish I & II at the community college are actually 2 separate high school credits in Texas.

I agree on the 1 credit for a high school class and the 2 credits for the college class in Spanish. But what about the cc math - that might be 2 credits, too.

Don't forget that college students typically only take 3-4 courses at a time, so the 2 cc courses may take up more than half of his day.

Julie

PS I see 7.5 credits each but our local public schools only expect 6 per year; there is a 7th "zero hour" but that is mostly special band ensembles etc.

Edited by Julie in MN

Have you considered a lighter science that you could do at home such as Earth Science, Environmental Science, or Forensic Science? Currently you have him with 6.5 credits and maybe less depending on what you decide to do with the 2 English credits. I agree that is a heavy schedule with all the CC classes, but the credits look light. I think I would look for a way to add a credit, but not add TOO much work. Science seems like an obvious place to look since there isn't any there now :).

t.

Yes, I was told not to do that and I'm in Texas as well. He already has 7 credits anyway with me just counting it as one.

Yes, I was told not to do that and I'm in Texas as well. He already has 7 credits anyway with me just counting it as one.

Are you speaking of the Spanish credits? Here's a link to my local community college's page on credit recommendations. This is the same list our local high schools use to grant high school credits.

Yes, people around here just give one credit for the whole year. However, I wonder if that is because for dual credit at ps, the teacher teaches at the high school. The dual credit classes for public school are at the high school so they are taught in the same amount of time. Hence government is taught in a semester and gets a semester credit, not a year. No one take Spanish or any other class that they take off the ps campus...

One of the college kids saw my kids on the cc campus and was really confused when they said they were doing dual credit. Then he remembered that they were homeschooled. All of his dual credits were at the high school...