Menu

Resources for learning sign language

kandty

We are interested in learning sign language. Does anyone have any resources to recommend? I checked our library and there are lots of books, but not much DVDs and most were checked out. I was looking to make a purchase, but no idea what to get or what resources would be best to self teach.

:iagree:Signing Time. We began collecting those when dd was 9 months old. We have 33 now. :D

Which one would you recommend to get first? I think I will teach the ABCs first, but a book at the library should be good for that.

Which one would you recommend to get first? I think I will teach the ABCs first, but a book at the library should be good for that.

I don't think it matters what order you go in. Each one has a particular theme, and they don't really build on one another. We just started with Series 1, Vol. I and went in order. It was easy to keep track that way, since we were getting them from the library.

We were doing it for my speech-delayed 2yo, so it was vital that we start with basic words that would be useful to him. And that is really how Signing Time was designed--to enable family and friends to communicate with a young child and vice versa. The ABC video is good but really is not fundamental to any of the other videos, so it doesn't matter when you watch it.

I don't think it matters what order you go in. Each one has a particular theme, and they don't really build on one another. We just started with Series 1, Vol. I and went in order. It was easy to keep track that way, since we were getting them from the library.

We were doing it for my speech-delayed 2yo, so it was vital that we start with basic words that would be useful to him. And that is really how Signing Time was designed--to enable family and friends to communicate with a young child and vice versa. The ABC video is good but really is not fundamental to any of the other videos, so it doesn't matter when you watch it.

:iagree:

You don't have to go in any order. Look at the signs that are taught in each dvd and choose the ones you want to learn first. Normally I'd recommend Series 1 first. But your kids are older and Alex and Leah are younger in Series 1 (my dd doesn't mind, but some kids might). I'm sure this goes without saying...but, because your kids are older, don't bother with Baby ST; those signs are repeated in the other dvd's anyway. I would recommend asking at your library if they can get any on interlibrary loan for you before you go buying any. They are quite pricey....and I hesitate a little bit about recommending you to buy any because your kids are 7 and 11. I don't know how much use they'll get out of each one (unlike a younger child who would watch them over and over and over). Your library may be able to borrow them from other libraries in your area. That would be the best thing.

We enjoyed and learned from Signing Time videos. IMO, they are expensive to purchase for home use, but if we had a deaf/HOH person in our family, we would make the investment. Your library might have them. We asked our library to order them. Most of what our library has of these is due to us asking. HTH.