Menu

Another read-aloud question: what's your favorite FUNNY read-aloud book?

We read all sorts of stuff during the day, but our bedtime read-aloud needs to be light, sweet, and funny- nothing scary, sad, super exciting, or overly mentally taxing :tongue_smilie:.

We've read a string of good ones lately- Wind in the Willows, Dr. Dolittle series, Mr. Popper's Penguins- and I'm looking for suggestions along those same lines.

What say ye? :)

Any of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books, but they might work better if your kids are somewhat older. We still do bedtime read-alouds and these have been favorites for the past few years. He does have some juveniles (particularly the Tiffany Aching books), but be aware that the 4th Tiffany book gets quite dark. We postponed that one a bit when it first came out.

Edited by KarenNC

We just finished The Great Turkey Walk and it was so funny! And it had the sweetest ending!!

Yep, any of the Sid Fleischman books would be great. Our favorite funny one was Chauncy and The Grand Rascal. I remembered my brother reading it (to himself) in the car on a long trip when we were kids (who can forget a title like that?), so I picked it up for dd in 2nd grade--LOVED it!

We read all sorts of stuff during the day, but our bedtime read-aloud needs to be light, sweet, and funny- nothing scary, sad, super exciting, or overly mentally taxing :tongue_smilie:.

We've read a string of good ones lately- Wind in the Willows, Dr. Dolittle series, Mr. Popper's Penguins- and I'm looking for suggestions along those same lines.

What say ye? :)

My kids loved Mary Poppins. She is so mean!

The BFG by Roald Dahl (ok, there are some scary bits, but then quite a few wildly funny bits!)

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norman Juster

Stuart Little, by E.B. White

James Herriot's Treasury for Children

The Winnie-the-Pooh series

Half Magic by Edward Eager