Menu

HOD users......a question about combining

heidip2p

We are finishing out our year with MFW. I am 90% sure we will use MFW next year but HOD is the last one I need to rule out. I was just wondering if I would be able to combine a few of our kids and how doable it would be.

Our older 2 are girls and 6th and 8th grades. They are 19 months apart and in many ways on the same level. I think they would do really well working togehter. At their ages would their workload be fairly independent?

Our next 2 are boys in 2nd and 4th grades. They are 16 months apart. I would think I could combine them as well.

Then we have a k and 3 year old. They are 2 years apart.

So if you use HOD, what do you think of this and what would you do?

We are finishing out our year with MFW. I am 90% sure we will use MFW next year but HOD is the last one I need to rule out. I was just wondering if I would be able to combine a few of our kids and how doable it would be.

Combining can work, especially with the extensions added in for the older child.:001_smile: (I've been using HOD since the fall of 2010.)

Our older 2 are girls and 6th and 8th grades. They are 19 months apart and in many ways on the same level. I think they would do really well working togehter. At their ages would their workload be fairly independent?
If they are ready for CTC or higher, then they would be pretty independent. Preparing still requires a decent amount of time with you. You probably already know this, but HOD has a placement chart on their website to help you know which level your children are ready for.

Our next 2 are boys in 2nd and 4th grades. They are 16 months apart. I would think I could combine them as well.

This could work too. Are you thinking Bigger? Bigger is great, but it does have lots of writing, so I guess you'd have to evaluate if your 2nd grader would be up to it.

Then we have a k and 3 year old. They are 2 years apart.

LHTH? It may harder to combine them ... not sure there! :001_smile:

Hope that helps!

Take a look at the placement chart at HOD. That will give you a better idea of where to start. I would think you could easily combine your 6th/8th dds in CtC (new to HOD, I would def. start there and not in RtR). That program is mostly independent (not totally...but mostly). Your 2nd and 4th graders could also be combined if skill levels are close. I would go with Bigger for both if the 2nd grader's skills place there (pay particular attention to the writing ability). A 4th grader in Beyond would require too much "beefing up"..or using the right side of Bigger (skills) and left side of Beyond with the 2nd grader (content area). I find that to be more of a hassle. Your littles could do Little Hearts, again, depending on skill level of each. OR, just use Little Hearts with the 5yo and have the 3yo listen in on the stories, devotions, some crafts, etc. You could do Little Hands to Heaven with the 3yo as well (takes a mere 30 min. each day). Or do nothing with the 3yo :) It's difficult to combine too large an age range in HOD as the skill levels are so much more specific in what is required of the student. Improper placement can cause more stress than running multiple guides. Last year, I put my then 4th grader in Preparing b/c I wanted to combine him with his 2 older brothers (5th and 7th). It was a disaster. He simply wasn't ready. This year, I paid better attention to the placement chart and put him in Bigger while bumping the older 2 up to RtR (skipping CtC). It was the right decision all around. Running multiple guides can be a headache (trust me) but less so than trying to make "a square peg fit in a round hole" (improper placement). :) I would caution you though...if MFW is working for you...don't fix what ain't broke. :) HOD is a lovely program but if you are having success with another...the grass isn't always greener. Just my 2 cents. HTH!

Thank you for your help, Sue. I think the biggest thing I am trying to figure out is when our oldest goes into highschool. With MFW she will be in her own program. My first wish was to keep everyone on the same history cycle. I haven't found anything that totally fits that biil for us. I really like the idea of them being able to work together through highschool.

Ah...gotcha! Well, HOD would provide the opportunity for "some" of your kids to work together. A 9th grader using RtR (if you went with CtC in 8th) would require some "beefing" to make it credit worthy but the HOD message board has some wonderful ideas on how to do that if you decided to go that route. Personally, I would find it difficult to keep my dc together once they reach high school. It's a whole different ball game. I'm sure it is possible, but for me it sounds difficult. ;) That being said (just to make your decision that much harder)...I really, really LOVE MFW for high school! My 10th grader used AHL last year and is in WHL this year and I have already purchased US1 for next year. She does everything almost 100% independently, but we do meet regularly to discuss the books, check her work in math, science, etc. and help with writing assignments. She LOVES having separate work from your "little siblings" (even though my next oldest will be in high school next year, too ;)), I don't look high school as when I have worked myself out of a job...rather that my "job" has changed. I am now "coach" or "mentor" rather than "teacher" and "instructor" (or drill sargent as my kids might think sometimes :tongue_smilie:). I'm not trying to dissuade you from trying to combine through high school, but I would encourage you to take a look at MFW high school programs. :)

As a previous poster stated, I'd check the placement chart. With the three year old and and K student, would Little Hand to Heaven be an option for you? It states the ages from 2-5.

With Little Hearts I've read that some will use it two years in a row because there are options to use it as K or 1st.

Currently I am using Little Hearts with my 7yr., Beyond with my 9yr., and Preparing with my 10 and 11 year old boys. What I did to make it not so *overwhelming for me, I started Beyond in December, Preparing in January and just added in Little Hearts last week.

Edited by Homeschooling6

Ah...gotcha! Well, HOD would provide the opportunity for "some" of your kids to work together. A 9th grader using RtR (if you went with CtC in 8th) would require some "beefing" to make it credit worthy but the HOD message board has some wonderful ideas on how to do that if you decided to go that route. Personally, I would find it difficult to keep my dc together once they reach high school. It's a whole different ball game. I'm sure it is possible, but for me it sounds difficult. ;) That being said (just to make your decision that much harder)...I really, really LOVE MFW for high school! My 10th grader used AHL last year and is in WHL this year and I have already purchased US1 for next year. She does everything almost 100% independently, but we do meet regularly to discuss the books, check her work in math, science, etc. and help with writing assignments. She LOVES having separate work from your "little siblings" (even though my next oldest will be in high school next year, too ;)), I don't look high school as when I have worked myself out of a job...rather that my "job" has changed. I am now "coach" or "mentor" rather than "teacher" and "instructor" (or drill sargent as my kids might think sometimes :tongue_smilie:). I'm not trying to dissuade you from trying to combine through high school, but I would encourage you to take a look at MFW high school programs. :)

Sue, thank you so MUCH! Having someone who has used both is exactly what I needed to hear. Maybe I am just having a harder time than I realized with her going on to HS.I just want to put her in my Shrinkinator. :) You are right, if it isn't broke. :) Your post was exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you for taking the time to chat with me :)

Sue, I am glad to hear that you are very happy with MFW for high schol. My dd Annette, will use Res. to Ref. next year for 7th grade and Rev. to Rev. for 8th. My plan is to then switch to MFW for high school because I don't want to beef up the latest guide (MtMM). I just want the easiest route :tongue_smilie: where everything is laid out for me. I don't have the energy to beef a guide. Besides MFW's high school programs look so good. I want at least one of my children to use it:D