Menu

I can't decide on a phonics program for DD5

ssavings

She starts kindy in August, and DH has requested my budget for books in the next week-ish, but I can't pick a phonics program!

She reads okay for a preschooler - she's reading books from the Sonlight 1st grade booklist - so I don't want to backtrack her to a phonics that starts with letters. She likes ETC, but I don't want to use it as a primary phonics program, so she is just going through the workbooks at her own pace (she's finishing up book 3 now).

I've looked at AAR, 100ez lessons, OPGTR, and a few others. Just not finding anything I love.

What great phonics program am I overlooking? I know that there are a ton out there!

We love Phonics Road!

:iagree: It has been amazing for my youngest. He has progressed SO much this year, and I couldn't be happier. If we didn't use Phonics Road, we would definitely stick with another Spalding program, but I love how PR is an all-inclusive language arts program and I don't have to manage a different curriculum for each individual LA subject.

If you are looking for cheap, you could use something like Alpha-Phonics, which is what we used for my ds8 and dd6. Now that we have a little extra money we are going to use IEW Primary Art of Language reading and writing. It looks like so much fun and I think all of the kids will benefit from it (we plan on using some aspects in the writing program for them)! They have lots of info on their website and even a webinar you can watch that shows what it is all about.

I would do Alphaphonics (oh yeah, that is what we do :) ). The reason is that it is non-level'd. Kids simply run through what they know and then slow down when they need to. It's 128 lessons so can be done in a year if a kid is ready or take 3 years if they need to. It'll cover the rules and get them able to read anything. It doesn't treat too many words as sight words.

I also liked the blend phonics posted from the Don Potter site. It takes 4 months from get-go to finished. Designed for a 1st grader. Assumes phonics is necessary and that sight word guessing should be discouraged. Another plus on this one is that it is FREE as are a number of resources for it! :)

I use SWR for my dd that was already reading. I love that I get all levels in one package and just place her where she needs to be. It fills in the phonics gaps very nicely for an early reader. Logic of English is a similar program that I am very interested in, but it is much more expensive, but I understand it is simpler to use.

I've looked at AAR, 100ez lessons, OPGTR, and a few others. Just not finding anything I love.

What great phonics program am I overlooking?

You are right. There are a ton of phonics programs. You are going to get as many suggestions as there are members on this forum. :-)

We used the free Blend Phonics when dd was 4.75 yo. We did the lessons on a whiteboard and finished the program in three months. At the end of it, my 5 yo was reading at a second-grade level.

Word Mastery, available on donpotter.net is another great program that Don Potter has typed in large font and made freely available. It will take longer than Blend Phonics, but it is more comprehensive. If you choose to print this out, your student can read the printout directly (without needing the words to be written on the whiteboard, I mean).

We use A Beka's A Handbook for Reading and the readers that go with it, along with the workbook. I like it because it all works together to reinforce what they're learning. The first few charts review the vowels, then jumps into a very quick paced introduction to the blends, with the stories in the readers following the same charts, and the workbook too.